News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

Night Sweats

Started by lesmom, June 30, 2009, 06:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lesmom

Good morning all (or afternoon, evening for some of you :) )

  For the past few weeks I have been waking up at night just soggy from sweating. We've not been having a super hot summer here in South Dakota and we do have AC. I sleep in a light t-shirt and shorts and socks for my Raynauds.  Do any of you suffer from this? I've had no medication changes, just having more pain on my right side again and my eyes are back to feeling really dry again. I am closer to seeing the rheumy- 1 month to go now, but should I say something to my internal med dr before then?

Thanks for any input!

Hugs,
Leslie

Liz D.

Hi Leslie,

The only time I have the night sweats is when I am in a flare-up and feeling miserable.  Then I know I have to slow down and rest.   You should definitely tell your rheumy about it when you go.  That appt. can't come soon enough!

Liz D.
60 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 200 mg; Levoxyl 100mcg; Evoxac, Symbicort, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., vitamins, calcium, flaxseed/cod liver oil, L- lysine, iron

ErinG

Hi Leslie,

Are you taking steroids or immunosuppressants?  My rheumy said that night sweats can be a sign of infection if you are on these drugs, because they masks the other signs, like fever.  If it persists I would give your internal med doctor a call.

Erin

Billydude

Leslie,  I'm sure if you do a search on Night Sweats here you'll see we talk about it all the time.   Its one common thread among many of us.  I have spells of them and there is no rhyme or reason for it.   I seem to be in a non-flare period so I haven't had them.   If anything I notice it happens not because of warmth but if I'm overdoing it and stress my body too much.   Lately I've been staying home and staying cool (which always helps all my symptoms) and haven't had the night sweats for a few weeks.   I think you'll find they come and go.

lovies10323

 :o I just had night sweats last night! How strange! Anyways, I have noticed a consistant pattern with my nightsweats. I find that days or maybe a day before my period is due, (if it is on time) I have them. I am in peri menopause, and I have always assumed it was due to that.  :-\

beverley

I too have night sweats very frequently and I am 5 years since menopause.  I also get them more if I am tired, worried or can't sleep - I guess all to do with stress.  I would talk to your rheumy about it in case there is another underlying reason for it.  Hope you get some answers soon.

Beverley

lesmom

Thank you all,
To answer you Erin, I'm not on steroids or any type of immunosurpresants so that's why I thought this was so weird.

I had a complete hysterectomy 4 years ago and I am still on HRT because I had such horrible headaches and hot flashes.

I have been feeling pretty tough all along and you are so right, Liz the rheumy appt. can't come quick enough! I have yet to be seen by one so I am really ready to start putting all the links together. Stress doesn't help things does it.

I will do so more checking into it for sure.

Bless you all,
Leslie

Bonnie

I too have night sweats which seem to be worse when I don't feel to good.  Also started to notice that over the last few months they seem to also be happening a few days before my period.  I think when I have a night of "sweats" I wake up feeling really exhausted and dehydrated (which i suppose makes sense)

DragonflyC

I'm another "sweaty sleeper."  I'm always cold, but I still get really sweaty when I sleep--sometimes even when I take a nap, but usually just at night.

Billydude

I admitedly don't know much about a women's period but does it stress the body.   Maybe thats why so many have it around period time.   As I mentioned before I think it happens more when I'm tired and pushed myself too much.
Steve

Patze

I'm another "sweaty" sleeper; now ain't this a lovely club we've seem to have started! ;) :D  Seriously though, I've had them for a lot of years now, and I'm with Steve, they get a lot worse when I push myself to hard and am exhausted (you would think that I would get a clue and take it easier ::)).

Good luck with the rheumy lesmom, and keep us updated! 

Take care -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

lesmom

Thanks Patze :)
I will certaily keep you posted.

Heres Sweat Sleepers! LOL

Leslie

DragonflyC

Does anyone else's sweat bleach things? 

I mentioned this thread to my husband, and he couldn't believe that I hadn't asked in my first post.  I don't use any products with peroxide or other bleaching chemicals (acne cream, etc.); it's definitely my sweat.  Sometimes I can see the bleaching effect on my clothing, but it seems to happen A LOT with sheets (sweaty sleeping!) and often w/ towels.  Any theories or similar experiences? 

I suspect it's linked to my hypothyroidism or the related medication if anything, as it started happening a few months after I went on levoxyl, but I never remember to ask my doctor so I can't be sure. 

kimbo

I had nite sweats a lot. Until they found my hypothyroid issue and put me on levothroxin. Rarely had any nite sweats since. Anxieties issues went a way also. I have become a big believer in checking thyroid and I think SJS has affects on thyroids for most of us sjoggies.

kimbo
Diagnosed March of 2007. SJS/ RA Positive at 80  International-SSA strongly positive at 811-SSB 273
ANA positive at 1:1280
Hashimoto's
Gabapentin, propanol, Celebrex, Synthroid, Cytomel, vitamin D, B complex, Omega 3 complex, and multi vitamins; At 62, I seem to be a low maintenance sjog

Crabcakes

I have night sweats a lot! Am waiting for my first rheumie appointment to discuss this issue. (I am past menopause, and my thyroid is OK). Annoying little symptom, eh?