News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

Hubby to commence RTMS treatment for severe depression

Started by Lotus1, June 09, 2009, 05:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotus1

My hubby who has severe depression is about to commence a free trial  treatment "Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation" over a couple of months.  He has 2 consultations beginning next week before the actual trial.  Apparently the studies have revealed significant help for those who've suffered depression long term.  Psych is scratching his head as meds not doing much good & is in agreement to give trial ago.  Hubby is happy & excited so we're trusting there will be a positive result.  Have any of you nurses out there heard of this treatment & its outcomes?
Sorry to dump this on you, but hubby is part of me!  It's difficult explaining depression to people as they don't comprehend (nor do I quite frankly) just like they don't understand SS.
There will be quite alot of travel involved so a hectic, tiring time for us both fitting things in around work.  I've a great boss so having time off to go with hubby to appointments is no problem which is a huge relief.
Winter has set in here this week.  The rain is lovely, not fussed at all with the cold.  They're saying that if we don't get sufficient rain this winter we won't be allowed to water our gardens full stop next summer, not even hand watering.  Can you imagine what things will look like.  Sure hope it doesn't come to that, already have permanent restrictions.
I like to be positive so will share that we saw a beautiful dolphin swimming alongside the boats as they came in the other day.........a beautiful sight!
Enjoy your day everyone, or sleep for those in darkness!
Lotus1

Katybarstool

Lotus

That's wonderful news about your hubbies treatment. I've not come across that one, but I know of vagal nerve stimulation that helps with epilepsy and, in some people, depression. With the vagal nerve stimalutor you have a small pacemaker type implant in your neck, which is activated by a magnet. I'd be interested to hear how your hubbies treatment goes.

Kathyx

jonnell

Im very happy for you both, let me know how he makes out, havent heard of that treatement, but the fact that he is excited is a very good thing.  I wish I could change seasons with you, it is very hot and sticky here in Jersey, not good for Jenna, but she has her pool lol.  I hope that this is a answer to your prayers for you and your husband.  Feel free to email be anytime, as I enjoy talking to you.  Lots of love hugs and kissess   Jonnell and Jenna

Scottietottie

Hi Lotus

I have no knowledge of the procedure but just wanted to wish you and your husband all the best.  I hope it works well and you get the results you're looking for. Living with depression is horrible both for the sufferer and those close.

Let us know how it goes.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)


Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Lotus1

Thanks Kathy, Jonnell, Scottie for your thoughts, interest & prayers.
Interesting re V.N.S. Kathy.  RTMS was a segment on TV. Our neighbour informed us about it.
Certainly will be interesting re results.  Feel we have nothing to lose as things aren't working too well even under the top psychiatrist in the state.
Take good care of your little girl, Jonnell (I know you will), I feel sooooo sorry for her!
Will keep you all posted in the coming weeks.
Lotus1

Katybarstool

Hi Lotus

For your interest, there is lots of information about depression and VNS on the Cyberonics website. This is not advertising, as to my knowledge, they are the only people who manufacture the device. They are in the US, and may have information about your husband's procedure tooo.

Kathyx