News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Reclast

Started by Shari, June 09, 2009, 04:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shari

I have had my first IV infusion of Reclast and wonder if there is anyone else here that has had Reclast and what their side effects were if any.  I do understand that this is a once a year infusion but am wondering if the severity of my pain afterward would warrent me declining my next infusion and switching back to my previous medication. Thanks !

Poochie

Hi Shari,
Let me know how long the effects lasted from the infusion.  I've been on the once a month Actonel and spend the day in bed.  It makes me terribly ill in my stomach and aggravates my neuropathy.  Perhaps, once a year would be better in the long run, even it puts me in bed for a couple days. 

This once a month scenario is driving me to distraction.  At least I know I can't plan anything for those couple of days.

Take care and let me know how you are,

Hugs, Pooh

Shari

Hello Pooh!! 

I was on the once a month but it gave me nausea, pain, and fatigue lasting for one week..it would start about 2 days after the med.,.  So, I went on the every three month IV infusion.  After the first dose I was only mildly ill for a couple of days.  That worked quite well.  I think the first one was a bit worse but the second was fine and did not need to be on the couch.

After this first Reclast infusion by the end of the day I was not doing well.  My neck felt like it was broken..I had chest pain as if I had inflammation in my rib cage or a blood clot..or something bad.  By the next afternoon I was bed ridden with my whole body SO achy.

If I moved the slightest I thought something was breaking..especially between my shoulder blades.  I had quite a fever and did not sleep for three nights..  I was at my daughters and needed to go home but could not drive so stayed there.  Took a bunch of advil the next day and drove.

They say that the first if the worst.  I am unsure if the severity was within the normal range or not.  I like the idea of once a year tho.  The fatigue lasted probably two weeks.  It is important to drink plenty of fluids ahead of time and to be up on your calcium and vit D.

At this point I feel that the every 3 months one was the best.....I will call oncology..tell them how it went and see if they reccomend doing it next year or switching back.  I'll let you know.  I certainly could not tolerate the once a month dosing I was having.

Other than that it seems all my internal organs hurt..weird but that is how it feels...hopefully that will settle itself..been going on for some time.  I have complete physical with new PCP in august and will discuss all this.

Take care Pooh and nice to see you...hear you...read you ! 

Poochie

Shari,
Thank God for understanding daughters.  I'm so sorry it made you so sick.  I gave up after 4 months on the Fosomax, right before they found out about the necorsis in the jaw.  Then I was put back on the Actonel every week.  That was just a joke.  It made me so ill from the get go. 

Sometimes I think the cure is worse than the problem for which it's taken.  Some times you can't win for losing.

Take care and I hope you start feeling better soon.

Hugs, Pooh