News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Toothbrushes

Started by DesignerS, June 07, 2009, 09:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesignerS


This may sound goofy, but I have been trying for over a year to find a toothbrush that is not too hard, not too soft.  One that has enough bristles, but not too many. 
Obviously, my mouth is killing me.  With Sjogrens and the Lichen Planus, my mouth and gums are a huge issue.  I dread brushing my teeth each day. I am just wondering if anyone has come across a brand of brush that works really good for our sore mouths.  Thanks in advance.

designer

Patze

Hi Designer,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having mouth issues, and I hope that you find a good toothbrush soon!  I can't give you any advice about them, I currently use a sonic soft brush, and it seems to be helping my teeth (and doesn't seem to bother the canker sores much and I also use Sensodyne to help with the pain of the darn sores).

I know that you probably have, but have you asked your dentist to recommend one?

I hope that you can find one to help - hang in there my friend, and I hope that your mouth clears soon.

Take care and let us know if you find one that works out for you.

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Chickpea

Hi Designer

A sore mouth is just so miserable, isn't it?  I use a small, round-headed battery operated toothbrush.  The head is small with softish bristles.  I find the gentle action of the powered toothbrush helps and is specially helpful when my hands are particularly painful or weak.  You could also try using a baby's toothbrush because they're small and soft.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Take care - Chickpea

DesignerS


I am going to check out this Sonic brush.  I am hoping it is round, because Chickpea, you make a good point.  It would just touch a small area at a time.
And Patze, yes, the mouth issues are never ending.  In fact, the salty taste was gone for a few months, but is now back again. 
So, off to Walgreens, again,  ::)  I hate to complain but this mouth pain is getting on my nerves. 


Thanks,
Designer

wordnerd

Sorry about your sore mouth!

This is slightly off topic, so I hope I 'm not hijacking this thread (if it is I can create a new topic), but its on the subject of toothbrushes so...

I use an OralB electric toothbrush, and no matter how much I rinse out the toothbrush head after use, dry it with my towel, and then leave it to air dry, black stuff always starts to grow inside it within a few weeks!  I'm starting to wonder if I'm carrying some germ of some kind in my mouth that is then growing inside the nice damp toothbrush.

Has this happened to anyone else?  Any idea what the black stuff might be and if I should be worried about it?

Obviously, I'll ask my dentist next time I see her, but it's really starting to worry me and gross me out.

*hugs*

-Lauren

ErinG

#5
I haven't tried it yet, but my dentist gave me a microfiber toothbrush at my last visit.  It is made by nimbus. The brush has these long, fine bristles in the middle that are supposed to gently clean below the gumline.  

Pisces24

This may sound odd - but as for the "icky" toothbrush:   Soak the brush head in Hydrogen peroxide. A bottle costs about 50cents. I use an old small plastic pill bottle, put the toothbrush in and put in enough HyP to cover the head.

I had a Sonicare toothbrush but it quit right after the warranty expired and for what I paid (alot!!!) it just wasn't worth it.  I also have an electric toothbrush (crest spinbrush) that is fairly inexpensive and works for me. Thankfully I don't have the sore mouth problems - just get cavities easily and achey gums at times. Any sinus problems with me and it goes right to my teeth gums first. Sigh.