News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

Numbness spreading to hands now!

Started by lynnmarie219, June 07, 2009, 10:49:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynnmarie219

As I have mentioned in other posts I have this weird numbness in my feet with the right one being the worst....its not painful, but it feels like I have something stuffed under the ball of my foot so that I cant feel much in that area. The left foot is very minor compared to the right, but I have gotten used to this in my feet.

The last week or so ( ???) my left hand is going numb (like it is falling asleep) but its constant, especially bad in the fingertips. My left hand has sporadic numbness in the same fingers.

My neuro is aware of my feet and says its peripheral neuropathy. I don't take meds at this time because there is no pain and I take enough. I do see my neuro and my rheumy in a few weeks so I will definitely mention it to them both.

My question.....besides peripheral neuropathy.....could this be related to my thyroid? I just had labs done and my TSH was higher than usual  this time (5.340) but my T4 was 7.17 (toward he low end of normal). I know we have talked about it in here that the thyroid should be lower (like 3 or less) and mine wasn't this high before.

I also have diabetes and my A1C was higher than ever too (8.0).

Could these all be playing into the numbness?

I'm also calling my GP this week to see about thyroid med changes...he already upped my Metformin for the glucose levels.

My feeling is its a combination of all of the above. Any suggestions?

fluffiebunnie

I dont know if this is any help but I have had thyroid tests that were all clear and I have three areas of numbness.... my right side of face started to go numb first (this has since cleared).  I am now suffering with numb left arm and numb right hip.

I am on no medication as undiagnosed, but am seeing Rheumy and Neorologist July/August.

I have no idea why I am going numb!

Scottietottie

Hi lynnmarie  :)

I'm sorry to hear you're going numb. I know that carpal tunnel problems frequently occur with thyroid problems, but I'm not sure which part of the hand is affected by that. matbe someone else knows. I know that carpal tunnel can lead to hand numbness but I believe it's a specific part of the hand - not the whole thing.

5.34 sounds a little high to me for TSH. As I've said before, my endo is quite happy if it is between 0.5 and 2 and also says it's fine for the T4 to be 22, 23 or higher. Top end of range basically.

I hope you can get this cleared up.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)


Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Victoria05202000

LynnMarie,

I am sure you are familiar with Reynaulds. During a bad flare my feet, arms, face, hands, and fingertips are affected.  They go numb and my skin turns red, then a white-bluish color.  Not sure about the thyroid.

Take Care!.
Vicky

lighthouse33

#4
Have you ever had tests for cervical spondylotic myelopathy:

http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/neck-pain/understanding-cervical-spondylotic-myelopathy

My dad had numb hands and lack of balance in walking.  The surgeon told him that if he didn't have it taken care of i.e. surgery that it would spread to his legs and he would be paralyzed in a wheelchair.  It can happen at a younger age also.

Like you I have peripheral neuropathy, specifically polyneuropathy.  Sometimes I have numbness in the foot but mostly it's the burning pain that drives me crazy.  Poly means I have it everywhere.  Sometimes I can't hardly stand it.  So I ordered a Nerve Support Formula and am going to give it a try.  It's for all kinds of neuropathy.  Hopefully it will arrive this week and keeping my fingers crossed that it will do me some good.  From what I've read its very difficult to treat neuropathic pain, painkillers don't touch it and the drugs like Lyrica etc just cover up the pain.  

**If anyone would like more information on this product please contact Lighthouse by private message.
Female
Primary Sjogren's, polyneuropathy, endomitriosis, dietary fructose intolerance
Plaquenil, Lyrica, Tramadal, Omeprazole, Fortical, fish oil, flaxseed oil, benefiber, centrum chewable mulitviitamin, caltrate chewable 600 D+minerals, WSN Nerve Support Formula, Align, Biotene Products

eyeamdry

I have the numbness in my hands and arms.  I've had carpal tunnel surgery on the right hand and it is quite a bit better and less numb than the left.  I am going for nerve conduction tests on the left hand/arm soon.  I don't know how the connection is with thyroid, diabetes etc. but probably in my case neuropathy.  Lucy

kimbo

Hi Lynmarie,

I hope you find some news on this.  I am sorry and I hope it gets better for you.

hugs, kimbo
Diagnosed March of 2007. SJS/ RA Positive at 80  International-SSA strongly positive at 811-SSB 273
ANA positive at 1:1280
Hashimoto's
Gabapentin, propanol, Celebrex, Synthroid, Cytomel, vitamin D, B complex, Omega 3 complex, and multi vitamins; At 62, I seem to be a low maintenance sjog

Chickpea

Hi Lynnmarie

So sorry to hear about the numbness you're experiencing.  You're bound to be troubled by it and now it's developing in your hands as well as your feet maybe it's time for the neuro to think about treatment? 

I'm lucky enough not to have thyroid problems unlike so many other Sjoggies, nor do I have diabetes.  But I do have the creeping numbness.  Whether that helps provide an answer to your numb places I'm not sure, nor whether it's reassuring or not?!  I hope my experience can be some help:

My first symptom was a numb toe in my right foot, and the numbness spread over that foot, up the leg and then worked its way up right arm, left leg, left arm in that order.  Now I have all sorts of odd numb patches in my face too.  My rheumy thinks it's cns involvement with SjS, but my neuro isn't convinced and thinks there's some other cns condition operating as well as SjS.  I'm not sure it makes much difference at the moment because the treatment options are the same. 

If it's due to a combination of SjS, thyroid and diabetes will your doctors consider immunosuppressants?  As you know, most of us here on the more 'aggressive' treatments are offered them for cns involvement, or for major organs.  I hesitate to give advice but I would say 'don't delay'.  Numbness can spread quickly and the sooner they get to the root of the problem, the better.

Thinking of you - Chickpea

lynnmarie219

Thanks all for the replies back so soon!

Chickpea.....yes I am definitely going to mention it to both my neuro and rheumy when I see them in a couple of weeks....I will also be calling my GP this week as well since he did the original lab work. Thanks for sharing your experience with the numbness here as well. I don't know which condition is causing this...but I'm going to try to find  a solution before it gets worse!


Thanks again all!