News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

lost teeth now TMJ

Started by Jule, June 02, 2009, 03:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jule

i've had SS for many years and the past year I've lost all my back teeth.  Had to have an implant to save the few I have.  In the past two weeks my teeth don't seem to know where to hit, top to bottom, and I am constantly afraid of grinding or clenching. Now I have developed a severe case of TMJ both sides and facial pain.  I went back to the dentist and he suggested two nite guards for $800.  Now I've read the the sporting goods stores sell these guards and you have to boil them to make them fit but they work fine.  However - no back teeth.  Guess I could cut the plastic back parts off??? Thats a question and do any of you have any suggestions before I go mad???

Thank you so much
Jule

Dolly Dimples

  Jule sorry to hear that you have lost the teeth, how about a partial denture for the back..

I lost most of mine way way back, so I finally succumbed to the dentures..

They are not perfect and keeping them in all day with a dry mouth is challenging, but pride overcomes the pain as usual..

         We watch a TV programme  ( UK ) called embarrassing bodies, and some of the dental work on there is amazing...so change your Dentist!
                                                           
                                                                     Grin & Bear It, Dolly
                     

Leisa

I worked in dentistry for 32 years and i can tell you if you have no back teeth you can't wear a partials but dentures are an option! Also yes you can use the sporting mouth gaurds and just imprint the whole mouth as if you only do the front teeth your jaw will not rest properly and you need the support especially if your having TMJ symptoms. Yes these will be difficult to have in your mouth if your mouth is extrmely dry but try some of the moisture products at night and maybe put some in the tray. Good luck and let us know if this works! Sorry though that you have to go through that!

JJ

I hate to say it but I recommend dentures.....the cost i went through of trying to save something

I was loosing on a regular year to year basis was extreme only to have to have the dentures

anyway. They are not so bad...takes time to get use to...and I freak the boys (sons) out cause they

forget that I have dentures..so they seem real enough..this should really be your decision...just

putting in my experience.

JJ

Epson

Jule

Wow, 800 bucks for two night guards, are they 24K gold?  I hope you got a lot of money from the Tooth Fairy when you lost your back teeth :o

Tryfan

Hi, I haven't lost any teeth but I do have a TMJ problem.  I live in the UK so I can only talk about what I've experienced here.  I went to a dentist and got a custom made mouth guard (?250) which I found effective in giving my facial muscles a rest and stopped me eating the side of my mouth!  However, what I noticed is that it is much better if I take time to relax my jaw before bed.  I do relaxation exercises and sometimes massage the masseter muscle on each side and I try to unwind a bit.  It might help....I do hope something does soon!  Best of luck.

Dolly Dimples

    Jule, looks like the Dentures win!

                              You can trust Epsom to raise a smile , teeth or no teeth.  Dolly x

irish

jule, I think you said you have implants in back?? If so, did the dentist get them in the right place?? If he didn't I would think that your bite would be off and this could cause the TMJ. I have had lots of dental issues and had all my teeth pulled and never regretted it. I am just now graduating from my temporary dentures to my permanent ones. I had my teeth pulled in 2003 and 2004 in several separate surgeries.

I would check with your dentist to see if there is something he can do with the implants to make your bite better. Sometimes they can sand off some of the offending area that is causing the improper bite. Good luck.

I have to add that dentures are not that bad. I have to reglue my bottoms several times a day, but at least I am not always paying out to the dentist and having root canals and infections. I can even eat sweet corn normally. I sure haven't lost any weight!! Irish ;D

SassieCat

Jule,

Wow, that is just awful.  Sometimes I feel like we are preyed upon by the money hungry, don't you? 

I went to the dentist today.  I have chipped two teeth, broken two and have two cavities.  (within the last 6 months)  I have not had problems with my teeth in over 30 years and now all at once, wham.  I asked him if all my back teeth have to be taken out if I should just get dentures.  His reply was no, that it would be best to have implants as a last resort.  He said they are very costly but it seems to work better for patients with SjS.  He also gave me a script for a flouride toothpaste.   He said to try to shoot for crowns as they should last another 20-30 years.  He's been my dentist for 31 one years and most of my filling that were done when I was younger are still holding out.  I'll include dental in my insurance plan next year.

The good news, he takes payments of whatever I can afford till I pay him off.  Looks like bye bye to $$$$$ ....... again!

SassieCat