News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Blood tests and/or urine tests?????

Started by jpd54, May 31, 2009, 03:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpd54

I have been going to rhuemy for about 1 1/2 yrs now.  I see her every 2 - 3 months.  She always does bloodwork but never a urine test.  Is this normal or should I request a urine test?   I don't know if everything can be checked by blood tests only. Can anyone help with this? 

Thanks!

jpd54
SJS, Fibro, Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis, GERD, Rosacea, TMJ

Celebrex, Gabapentin, Lasix, Potassium,Hydroxychloroquine, Lexapro, Lisinopril / Hydrochlorothiazide, Linzess, Metoclopram, Nexium, Oracea, Savella, Simvastatin, Vitamin D, Voltaren

Dolly Dimples

#1
  JPD, You don't say what  if any symptoms you have or are rather worried about..

I am no medical person, but I would guess that urine samples are mostly needed for kidney involvement..

  On the other hand lot's of people including me do get U.T.Is  due to the extreme dryness down below..

  If you are not suffering any discomfort in those areas then I suppose that is why your rhuemy has not checked ..


       If you are worried, then by all means ask next time you see her, better than worrying yourself probably for nothing  (I hope)
                        Cheers Dolly

Pisces24

Hmmm?  I would ask your rheumy about it. I think there is a possibility of SJS affecting the kidneys so they test. I don't know if this shows up in blood tests or not. I am a newbie at 2 mos diagnosed now.

And here I thought 1st time I saw my rheumy it was odd he wanted a urine test. You know you sit in the office soooo long. Well when I got done w/him I HAD to go.   :-[  Then I checked out and went down the hall to get the blood tests done. That is when they handed me the sample cup!  Nice of they would have told me before hand! I had to wait to get the blood drawn anyway so I went to the water fountain and drank a lot. After the blood was drawn thankfully I was able to give them enough for the test.  They were lucky they got anything.  ;D

Anything you have questions with, don't be afraid to ask. Write them down if you have to because believe me you will forget once you get in there.  My immunologist said I was positive for SJS so when I went to see my rheumy for the first time I had a list of questions. Like most w/SJS turns out I had more symptoms than I thought I had.
Good Luck with the doctors.

Billydude

JPD,  My rhumy has me take a standing order blood test each month and never a urine test either.   As a matter of fact I'm off to get one now.

ErinG

Hi JPD,

I have a standing order for a battery of blood tests and urine tests every 2 weeks because I have kidney involvement.  The urine test shows whether or not there is blood, bacteria, protein, and crystals in the urine.  A comprehensive metabolic panel (blood) will give your doctor the numbers he/she needs to determine if your kidneys are affected.

Erin

Patze

Hi jpd,

I get blood work done every six months or so (by the rheumy), and urine testing every year or year & a half.  I figure that the doc just wants to keep an eye on things.

Take care -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen