News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Silly question but who cares

Started by maya, May 28, 2009, 05:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maya


I'm low on Vitamin D and my GP prescribed 50,000 units week for 4 weeks. Prescription says 3 refills. Does it mean I HAVE TO refill 3 times (and take it weekly for 12 weeks) or does it mean, I need to talk to my GP before the refill.

It's probably a question for my GP but just curious.

Thanks!
Maya

Scottietottie

Hi Maya  :)

Hmmmm......... I think I'd phone for clarification on that one.  I've just been put on Vit D/calcium supplement by doc and have been told I need a blood test in 3 months to make sure its not interfering with thyroid meds apart from checking Vit D levels.

I'm sure you could sort it out with a phone call. Let us know how you get on.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)


Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

DragonflyC

I had a similar confusion when my doc told me to take prednisone for two weeks but then wrote the prescription for 30 days with several refills.  I took it for two weeks, felt a little better, and stopped.  I'm guessing that he just wrote it for more to give me the option of medicating myself if another flare hit (it's a small dose, so it isn't dangerous to let me control it).  

That said, I'm not sure about the side effects of vitamin D.  I'd check with him/her before taking it for more than the four weeks he/she originally mentioned.  It never hurts to ask, and you don't want to make an assumption when there could be an error or misunderstanding.

Billydude

I just think that it means that the prescription is open and available for three more refils.  Just take it as long as the doctor says.   I'm surprised that its a prescription however.   I'm also low on Vitamin D and my doctor said to just take 2,000 iCU.  50,000 sounds like quite a bit.   However,  the Vitamin D I take is just over the counter.

Patze

Hi Steve, I tried OTC Vitamin D for a while and my level never moved (I think it was around 17/18 (range of 20-100) it up at all.  The 2nd rheumy put me on 50,000 units and my level finally went up to 50.  It didn't stay there, but it did hit it once! :)

Hi Maya, please do call your doctor and ask him that question as you need to have that information. 

Take care -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

lighthouse33

I've been put on the 50,000 units and my doc told me to take it once a week for 12 weeks.  Then I willl have a blood test to see if its back up to normal.  I'd call and see what the doctor wants. 
Female
Primary Sjogren's, polyneuropathy, endomitriosis, dietary fructose intolerance
Plaquenil, Lyrica, Tramadal, Omeprazole, Fortical, fish oil, flaxseed oil, benefiber, centrum chewable mulitviitamin, caltrate chewable 600 D+minerals, WSN Nerve Support Formula, Align, Biotene Products

Redetha1

I am doing the same.  One per week for 3 months and then check level again.  Dr wants to have vit D at level that body can maintain on its own.  We need 15 minutes of sun per day to maintain proper level in our bodies.  This 15 min is in minimal clothing....shorts and tank top.  My doctor told me a bikini and I really laughed.  Too old for that now.  hope this info helps.

lighthouse33

So if auto immune people are sun sensitive and the sun can send us into a flare not to mention the fact that plaquenil says avoid exposure to the sun how can we get 15 minutes of sun a day.  I'm just curious because the last time I was out in the sun for at least four to five hours for 3 days in a row I ended up at the rheumy's in a major flare getting a steroid shot.  Now I'm afraid to be outside for 5 minutes.  Of course I also overheat very easily. 
Female
Primary Sjogren's, polyneuropathy, endomitriosis, dietary fructose intolerance
Plaquenil, Lyrica, Tramadal, Omeprazole, Fortical, fish oil, flaxseed oil, benefiber, centrum chewable mulitviitamin, caltrate chewable 600 D+minerals, WSN Nerve Support Formula, Align, Biotene Products

dbab

Actually not all are auto immune but some are.  Its really the autoantibody SSA (anti-Ro) that is the sun sensitive marker but with that said you don't have to have that to be sun sensitive.  There are some actually that have Lupus that can go in the sun with no problems.  Every one is different.  I envy the ones that can go in the sun... I really miss it  :'(

Scottietottie

Hi  :)

Plaquenil can cause sun sensitivity too.   :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)


Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!