News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Very dry mouth overnight

Started by man-with-sjogrens, May 28, 2009, 12:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

man-with-sjogrens

Any tips for keeping mouth moist overnight?

I already take pilocarpine 7.5 mg three times a day; use Biotene toothpaste; use a humidifier; and apply a thin coat of oral balance gel just before bedtime.

I saw in latest Sjogren's Foundation newsletter an ad for a four-hour pill that sticks to roof of mouth -- anybody have experience with that?  Or anything else that might work?

Thanks in advance

Dolly Dimples

   Hi Man,   It seems that you are on all the right meds for the dry mouth,

I have dry mouth and use the Biotene Gel which I liked best ,but there are nights when nothing works , then I am awake all night, which in  turn makes me feel wretched come morning..

              I shall watch this space in hopes that someone can recommend  anything different,,
                                                         Good Luck, Dolly

man-with-sjogrens

Thanks Dolly,

I guess no magic bullets exist....but i plan to keep looking.

Billydude

I experience my most dry mouth at night.  I just keep some sugar-free lemon drops by my bedside and pop one in.   Nights sure are a bad time for me between that and night head sweats.

Epson

If you find something, please let us know, my throat is getting dryer by the day :P

Babs659

Hi, man-with-sjogren's.  I have tried those discs that stick to the roof of your mouth.  I think the theory is that it is an irritant so therefore you will produce saliva to conteract it.  I could not tolerate the feeling of the disc on the roof of my mouth.  And when I tried to get it off it was very difficult.  Maybe you'll have a better experience but for me it was an $8 mistake!
Babs

kindandcaring

Hi

Yeah nights !  Im with you and the other guys n gals I find nights is the worst.

I once used the Biotene gel ..but it would only last a couple of hours into the night and Id still wake up.

Now I just goto bed after a good clean and expect to wake up and sip some water to get thru..but sometimes I cant get to sleep..then my back starts hurting lol..and thats the end of the night.

I did try a chin strap once..to keep the mouth closed at night..it does help as my mouth like Im sure many other drops open..(mouth breather) which helps to dry ones mouth fast.

Unfortunately the strap kept falling off..and I gave up with it.

I wrote to a Doctor/Dentist a couple of years ago who had made a mouth plate..(think false teeth) and it had a pocket that you put insay biotene gel..the idea is it would slowly leak out around the gum line..promoting lubrication for longer.

Unfortunately although his trial showed promise  no one took his idea further...he was willing to help me (even though he was overseas) and was willing to talk to my Dentist...but my Dentists was not bothered to help...typical I guess.


If we could stop the damage to our saliva glands..just perhaps stem cells could help them regen...did any one see the contact lens coated in stem cells which when applied to the eye gave sight back in a short time...(blindness due to disease of the cornea)..simply if it can happen as easy as that..I see potential for other organs.


anyway I will shut up now....

if you do find something please do share
All my bests






ohiolady

I have worn a night guard or bite plate for years due to grinding teeth.  Since the Sjogrens, I put biotene gel inside the plate and it does stimulate saliva longer and help with the dry mouth.

Also, my Evoxac schedule is when I wake to go to the bathroom about 4:00 am, I take an Evoxac, another at 11:00 am and another at 4:00 pm.  This has helped tremendously.

Have you thought of taking Salagen before bed and another if you get up to go to the bathroom?

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

hoping

I wear a CPAP at night (for sleep apnea) with a chin strap.  Cannot sleep without either.  Chin strap secures my mouth closed, even then I may suck on small sugar free candies thru the night.

Karin

man-with-sjogrens

thnx, everyone, very helpful suggestions....i like the idea of a mouthguard with biotene gel.

actuallly, been having a bit of good luck with taking pilocarpine before bed with mouth gelled up