News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

Dry skin, particularly on soles of feet

Started by jaygee, May 25, 2009, 06:13:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaygee

I read on here, somewhere, that dry skin is part of SS.

My hands are really dry and I put handcream on regularly.  But the soles of my feet are so horrid.  They have cracks and splits in them, even though I have tried various creams.

Could this be part of SS too?

I am making a list of things to discuss at my first rheumy visit next week.

Scottietottie

Hi Jaygee

Dry skin can be a part of SjS. It can also be a part of having an underactive thyroid. Mt feet used to be in a terrible state. thick dry skin that would crack and peel. Now my thyroid meds are working, my feet are back to normal. Well - the skin is anyway.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)


Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

lighthouse33

#2
Have you tried wearing Dermatological Cotton Gloves at night.  I use Cetaphil Lotion and put the gloves on for overnight and since then my hands have been smooth, soft and less dry.  Plus they are kept toasty warm while sleeping.  I wear them underneath my carpal tunnel splints and I'm sure this helps the splints not rub my hands too.  The gloves are supposed to make the lotion absorb better.  You can also wear them during the day.

I wouldn't be without mine now.

You might want to discuss with your doctor the benefits of flaxseed oil for dry skin.  Its always best to discuss taking any new supplements with your doctor.  Here is a link about flaxseed benefits for the skin:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Flax-Seed-Oil-Benefits-For-The-Skin&id=431258
Female
Primary Sjogren's, polyneuropathy, endomitriosis, dietary fructose intolerance
Plaquenil, Lyrica, Tramadal, Omeprazole, Fortical, fish oil, flaxseed oil, benefiber, centrum chewable mulitviitamin, caltrate chewable 600 D+minerals, WSN Nerve Support Formula, Align, Biotene Products

babycakes

hi there

i have had dry skin on my feet for a while now.  It is white and scaley patches and itches like mad.  I have been to the gp and they said it is psoriasis and gave me very low steriod cream for it.  One foot went away but the other still has a small patch.  I think i may need stronger cream for this, apparantly its auto immune related.  I dont know if your's sounds like this??

regards annie

Patze

Hi jaygee,

You'll find several members have (had) horrible skin, especially during the colder months. 

My skin on my feet are awful, especially in the heels too.  Even though my thyroid is "normal", the skin on my heels is very thick and it does peal something awful from time to time.  I don't know if it's related to an AI or not, but I know it sure is frustrating!

If you come across something that is helping you, please pass it on!

Take care -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Stillinlimbo

Ditto ditto! My skin is so dry! My skin was always kind of on the dry side, but, lately, the heels of my feet are gross, thick, and scaly, and cracking and peeling, and I do manage to get a pedicure from time they are still a mess. Walking around barefoot all the time does not help. My shins are scaly, ankles, hands,,ugh. So, again, being undiagnosed, everytime I read something here that I too have, it gives me hope that soon, I will get answers as to my diagnosis.
The cotton glove suggestion is a great one though! While I do not do this, I remember when I was a little girl, my grandmother had the softess hands, she would slaver cream on her hands every night, and wear those white cotton gloves we all remember at Easter time.
Wonder if I can get them made for my feet too! LOL
Cathy

lighthouse33

#6
I just did a search and found this product, Gloves In A Bottle.  It is used for lots of skin conditions, dry skin, psoriasis,, eczema, skin allergies etc.  Hundreds of deermatologists across America recommend it.  Maybe I'll pick up a bottle.  You can also do a store locator search.  Maybe it could help someone here.

Female
Primary Sjogren's, polyneuropathy, endomitriosis, dietary fructose intolerance
Plaquenil, Lyrica, Tramadal, Omeprazole, Fortical, fish oil, flaxseed oil, benefiber, centrum chewable mulitviitamin, caltrate chewable 600 D+minerals, WSN Nerve Support Formula, Align, Biotene Products

irish

lighthouse, One thing that really helps the feet is to soak them in Dr.Scholl's foot soak products--dissolve the crystals in warm water. Really helps to soften the skin. Then use a pumice stone ever so gently and do just for a short period of time.Can't take all that dead skin off all at once cause can cause problems.

Another product I just found this winter is from Walmart. It is in the department that has the antifungal creams in the tubes, etc. This product is in a little glass jar about as big around as a 50 cent piece and about2 inches high. It is an orangish color and can be seen through the glass. If you read the jar you will find that it contains emu oil. It is 1.95$ a bottle. Strange stuff but really works. You need to sit and watch TV and rub this in. It takes time as it has a very wierd consistency and really softens the skin. It makes you almost want to sigh with relief!!!! Hope this will help you some. Irish ;D

missyb

I had the worst problem here when it got warmer and was flip flop time, that is when mine dry out, but this time it was bizarrely dry! My heels cracked right open and split open and were bleeding badly. Was hard to walk. I tried a foot cream from Gold Bond, and they healed within a couple days, since then I apply it regularily and keep up with using a Ped Egg type of thingie to keep the dryness under control. So far so good, but I never had it this bad before as this year.