News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

The spectrum of autoimmune disease

Started by Tryfan, May 23, 2009, 06:08:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tryfan

I was talking to someone the other day who knew a lot about SJS.  I have a mild malar rash (which I've mentioned before, I think) and I have assumed that it is a sign associated with Lupus (from what I've read so far, anyway).  However, this person suggested that you can Primary Sjogrens and characteristics of Lupus but not necessarily Lupus itself.....or, you can Primary SJS and features of another autoimmune disease like RA.  Has anyone else heard of this?  My Rheumatologist seemed to suggest that SJS was on a spectrum and that symptoms overlapped but a separate diagnosis of another autoimmune disease was not inevitable, even with a feature as distinctive as a malar rash.

Any thoughts??  Thanks.

jonnell

This is a good question,  Jenna has a maylar rash in the heat and sun but has also been diagnosed with sjs not lupus,  it confuses the heck out of me.

missyb

Even more confusing is that rosacea can  appear to be a malar rash, as my sister experienced. I do think (inho) that all these things are on a "spectrum" and can over lap which is why it is dang ard for them to figure out what exactly you have. There are over 200 forms of autoimmune arthritis, however RA is the most common, and easiest to confirm, so this is the one you hear about. Lupus is another that is more common and somewhat easier to identify, so you hear more about it . I guess I liken the idea to, if you've ever heard of it, The Autism Spectrum, there are very different issues on either end of it, however they are all related. . My son is on that spectrum with Aspberger's, which a very mild, he is fully fiunctional and quite intelligent, but there some noticable quirks,  man the other end of that spectrum is devastating.

dbab

I know what you mean.  I saw the dermy yesterday and was told I have localized scleroderma (morphea) which thankfully is not as bad as systemic scleroderma as it doesn't affect your internal organs but it just goes to show how all of this stuff just overlaps all over the place.  I posted about morphea the other day but didn't hear anything back so I'm assuming its rare but my doc said that it can show up with the connective tissue  diseases so hopefully it helps someone here if they get any weird scars/thickened skin for no apparent reason.

Epson


jonnell

Missy my son Michael has Pervasive Developmental Disorder which is also high on the Autism Spectrum I am so glad he is not at the other end. 

Dolly Dimples

 Whatever it is Tryfan,  We sure do get some weird symptoms with this cursed affliction...

                    I have given up trying to understand all the why's of it..   Keep praying I guess, Dolly.x