News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Nausea

Started by Alex, May 22, 2009, 09:40:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

  Is it common to have nausea on most days?  I also have pernicious anemia and GERD plus other autoimmune disorders.  I'm at a loss as to which doctor I should see for nausea.  So far I see a rheumatologist , neurologist, opthomologist, cardiologist, endocrinologist and a GP, but can't decide which would be best to see.  Any help?

lesmom

Hi, ALex
Sorry to hear that you are having tummy trouble. There are days that I too feel pretty sick to my stomach. I would start with my GP, just because he's the one the prescribes all of my meds right now. Is this a new symptom, or have you been dealing with this for awhile? Have you recently started any new medications? Have you been around people that have the stomach flu? Unfortunately there are lots of things that can make you feel "rough around the edges."
Good luck and I really hope you feel better soon!

Hugs,
Leslie

Scottietottie

Hi Alex  :)

Not all of us suffer from nausea. I don't think its part of SjS but some meds can cause it. Quite a few people feel nauseous when they start Plaquenil.  Look up the meds you are on for side effects and see if that's a possibility.

Do check it out with your doc.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)


Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

kathyl

I was having nausea and thought it was something I was taking.  My primary care doctor sent me to a gastroenterologist.  After many tests it turns out I have gastroparesis meaning damage to the nerves in my stomach.  The food is digested very slowly and it makes me nauseated almost every time I eat.  I lost 30 pounds.  It would be a good idea to start with the primary care doctor.  The gastroenterologist I went to was great.  He did many tests that were negative.   Then he suggested a gastric emptying study where you eat a radioactive egg salad sandwich.  I thought he was kidding.  I had to wear gloves to eat it. I could swallow it but not touch it.  Anyway the test showed slowed gastric emptying.  I have a lot of neuropathy and now it is in my stomach.  Explains the nausea.  Have to eat small meals and no fiber.  The medications for this condition have a lot of side effects so I opted not to take any.  Hope you find out what is wrong and feel better.

lynnmarie219

I agree with the others....check out if any of your meds could be causing this and run it all by your GP. If there still are no answers I would definitely go to a gastroenterologist. They are ones who specialize in the digestive system....from the moment food enters your mouth until it comes out the other end... ;). They may be able to help.

Also what type of medication do you take for your GERD? Sometimes a changes in meds for this is what is needed...there are so many medications out there to help reduce the acid in your stomach and like everything else, it seems to be a trial and error as to which one works for each of us.

I have been on so many in the past, but found that Protonix worked well for me for a long time.I just recently switched to Omeprazole (generic Prilosec) due to my insurance not covering the protonix any more (well at least not at a cost that anyone could afford). At first I thought I would have to go back to to the protonix...but now it seems to be ok...so its a day by day thing for me I guess. 

Good luck to you...I hope you get some answers quickly!