News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

VIT D

Started by theosof, May 21, 2009, 05:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theosof

I just want to let you all in a new problem that I think we all, at least most of us probably share. Low Vit D- not something most docs look for. My rheumy informed me about it when I first went to her the beginning of the year. I'm a nurse and have been reading articles over the last year in my professional journals about low Vit D... Because so many of us stay in doors so much, work inside and if we do go out we slather sun screen on, we are not getting the vit d. My rheumy says it is epidemic in scale. Mine is low, I have 4 friends at work w/ low vit D- it seems more docs are getting the idea to test. It causes fatigue, muscle aches and brain fog. What does this sound like? It takes prescription strength Vit D to treat not what we get w/ a multivit or w/ our Calcium tabs. So maybe some of our symptoms may be relieved with Vit D- my doc says it takes a few months for the level to go up enough to where I'd feel a difference. Good luck all.....

maya

What a coincidence - I just posted a query about Vitamin D 2 seconds ago. My doc tested for it 1 year after I've been complaining about all the usual SjS symptoms and found it to be low. I'm happy they found and hope the supplements will be helpful.

Patze

Hi theosof,

Oh boy, the low vitamin D level thing!  Even before all of this mess, my level was low (and I loved being in the sun because I was always cold).  Yep, I've been on the prescription replacement (50,000 units) for a couple of years now, and what a strange trip it's been! ;) :D 

With me, I take it once a week for a month, and then once a month there after.  I get tested every six months because no matter what I do, the level will not stay level, it always goes back down (the first time 50).  Now the level doesn't even go up to 50 anymore, and the downward spiral starts as soon as I'm back on the once a month regime.  I sure hope that this rheumy tries something different than the up and down cycle that's not doing the job; dang if you do, and dang if you don't! 

Take care -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Billydude

Yes,  I'm very low as well and need to take suppliments for it.  Many of us have absorption problems as you'll find Celiac disease is common among us which in theory is an absorption problem.
Anyone with autoimmune needs to have their Vitamin D checked for sure.

jonnell

Wow thank you for the information,  I would like to get Jennas tested,  is that a blood test?

Scottietottie

Hi  :)

I mentioned Vit D to the rheumy the last visit. He got all entuhusiastic about recent research on it and then said "Wow! I could test your blood couldn't I? Would you like that?"

Well no objections here. So far I haven't been sent any results but I'm seeing my GP for a medication review next week and will ask her. (Knowing me - mine's normal)

So yes Jonnell - it is a blood test.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)


Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Patze

Hi Scottie,

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya!


Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

MusicGuy

i've done a few courses of the prescription strength, the last time i think it was pretty high... either 50,000 units per week.....or 100,000.  I'm now down to 1,000/day of the over the counter vitamin. 

jonnell

There is a Vitamin D test Kit you can buy online for 89 Dollars if anyone is interested.  I just googled Vitamin D test Kit.

Epson

If one lives in Northeast Ohio, low vitamin D is the norm, (mostly cloudy and long winters) according to every doctor I have seen.  After a year of taking supplements, I now register at low normal for Vitamin D and feel absolutely no difference other than being more fatigued, which obviously has nothing to do with my D levels.

Low D levels are nothing new, that's why the government had D added to milk in the 1930s to combat low D levels in children, causing rickets.  The list of D rich foods is a short one, so I guess that's why we can produce our own with the help of the sun, too bad the sun doesn't like me :'(

I am not sure about the wisdom of spending $89.00 for a vitamin D testing kit if you have health insurance, any doctor will have you test if you request him to test you and if he wont, find a new doctor.