News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

punctal plugs & too many tears

Started by hoping, May 16, 2009, 02:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoping

A couple weeks ago, I had eye doc. do upper punctal plugs.  Had lower ones already.  My eyes were driving me mad.  Have been on Plaquinel a mo. now and am actually seeing positive benefits in knee joints.  Actually walked the dog a very short distance, no cane or walker!  But now that I have all 4 ducts plugged I actually have tearing going on all the time from both eyes.  Love the moisture, though eyes still burn and hurt.  Yet with all the tearing it makes reading a computer screen or book very hard.  See eye doc. Mon. Will probably remove a set of plugs.  Think maybe between the Imuran and Plaquinel and flax/fish oil the eyes are making progress.  Is sure nice to not be putting drops in anymore.

As far as neuropathy symptoms- they are still plaguing me.  Cannot get rid of all this dang burning and worse now in hands and feet. I am getting records copied and thinking of going ahead and scheduling with Birnbaum as my rheumy does not feel the SJS treatments will help with PN.  The neuro is completely leaving it up to rheumy as he says EMG looks normal.  Why is it so hard to get doctors to look beyond what they know??? 

On another up note, started Amitriptyline at night, and am sleeping better at 20mg and may bump up to 30mg.  Still hurting and using icepacks, but usually don't awaken as much.

Has anyone else experienced too moist of eyes with all 4 plugs in?

Hang in there,
Karin


eyeamdry

Karin, often when first quadra-plugged your eyes will overflow with tears.  It's called ephiphora.  ;D
Truth is that this is often temporary.  When a new plug situation is experienced, ie. more put in, one set taken out, the eyes need more time to settle down.  I've experienced this myself and know others have too.  There is nothing worse than having them taken out too soon and realize, darn, wish I had wated longer to find this out.

There is an excellent website about dry eyes and has info that might help you on there.  I have no interest in the site except I am a member, just like here.  It's dryeyezone.com.  Lucy

jaygee

Hi

When I had the upper plugs done, I too was plagued with too many tears.  In fact I got sore cheeks, as my eyes were too wet all the time, and if I inclined my head down, the water would just drip on to my desk or table (which was a little embarassing), as was strangers asking if I was ok, as I had to wipe my eyes constantly, at first.

They did settle after a while, though, so I hope yours do too.  xx

hoping

Hmmm,
Thanks for the insight, maybe it's best to let it be for a while.  Hate to have them pulled and then regret it.
Karin

kindandcaring

#4
Hi Ive got all 4 plugged..and I still drop..however my eyes get wetter and dryer all the time..so sometimes I drip a fair bit..and then sometimes I grab a vial for a couple of drops to loosen it up again.

Its all very hard as we are all different and you cant just turn the wetness volume up and down...you are either plugged or not..I reckon waiting a little longer is a good move...just incase it settles a bit.

Almost forgot..I too get burning in hands and feet..my EMG is clear to..and yeah my neuro and Immuno and rheumy just leave it at that..no diagnosis and oh 'have I thought about seeing a phsych' lol...ahem are we all here crazy..are we all imagining our symptoms I dont think so...lol


All me best

watoozie

Karin, I only have the lower plugs, use Soothe drops occassionally, also on Plaquenil and flax oil.  The Plaquenil did wonders for me - after about 4 months I really reaped the benefits.  I also have trouble sleeping and my rheumatologist put me on Restoril.  Lets me sleep and I am not groggy the next day.  This week I am dog sitting for a friend and the dog ate my perscription.  Near as I could figure she ate 12 to 15 pills.  She was stumbling around and I was so worried when we came home and didn't know how long it had been.  She slept all afternoon and when she woke up she was fine.  She is a Pit Bull and not a small one, but really good temperament.  I called her owner and he said if she died he would bury her when he got home.  (Sad)  So anyway, last night I didn't have any sleeping pills - I was awake all night and couldn't get any today, so I suppose I will be up all night tonight too.  Hope your eyes get settled, it is terrible to not have any tears, but also terrible to have too many!!

Wynter

I had the uppers and lowers for about six months.  My eyes watered all the time and still  ached and burned, plus I work at a computer all day. Like some of the others, the watering made my cheeks soar and the constant wiping from tissues irritated my skin. I had to uppers removed. I wish I could get a doc to give me the plaqeniel,  but I am  seronegative. I wonder  if it would  help  with my eyes!

kindandcaring

I dont think Plaq would help with the eyes...please if it has helped anyone please chime in

Sjenny

Karin:

I had mild burning in my hands (probably not as severe as what you describe or experience) and I took Alpha Lipoic Acid which you can find in a health food store.  The burning would stop within an hour of taking it.  And I have not had any burning for many months now.  I have since read that Alpha Lipoic Acid helps damaged nerves regenerate.

Hope this helps,
Sue

Linda196

Plaquenil generally helps with the overall effects of SjS by limiting the inflammation that the immune system causes...at least that's one of the theories. I've found, over the 5+ years that I've been taking it, that all of my symptoms, eyes included, have improved...not by leaps and bounds for sure, but I'm generally less uncomfortable than I was before I started taking it.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https:https://sjogrensworld.org/index.php?board=30.0

watoozie

I agree with Linda, I've been on Plaquenil for 4 years and like Linda it has helped my overall symptoms.  I think the flaxseed oil helped with my eyes too.

TerriJ

I have lower plugs and one doctor said I could try upper ones, but my regular ophthalmologist said I would find I teared too much, so I didn't do it.  I would be interested to see if you find this improves for you.

Terri

kindandcaring

Quote from: Sjenny on May 20, 2009, 10:29:47 AM
Karin:

I had mild burning in my hands (probably not as severe as what you describe or experience) and I took Alpha Lipoic Acid which you can find in a health food store.  The burning would stop within an hour of taking it.  And I have not had any burning for many months now.  I have since read that Alpha Lipoic Acid helps damaged nerves regenerate.

Hope this helps,
Sue

Interesting Sue...just so happens Ive had my left palm burning since this morning..now evening...Ive just taken a couple of ALA supplements  (I had some in the cupboard from a year ago)..will see if it helps stop it.

Cheers

Sjenny

Hi Kindandcaring!

Hope it works for you.  Let us know.  Also, have you ever had your B12 levels checked?  Low B12 can cause nerve problems - however most B12 supplements you can find in the grocery store are useless since they are poorly absorbed by the body.  To correct B12 levels, you need either the shots from a dr or sublingual methyl B12 tablets.

Sue


ohiolady

I have lower plugs but they weren't enough to help my eyes from being too dry, especially my left eye.  So, in the left eye, upper punctum, I get the dissolvable 3-6 month collagen plugs.  We are currently using the Herrick 6 month plug.  Anyway, this keeps my eye much more comfortable.  When I tried a permanent in the upper punctum, I had terrible tearing that lasted the whole three months I had in and my eye starting feeling inflamed.  This dissolvable does not do that.  My insurance covers it.  This was my idea and I had to be somewhat aggressive in suggesting it.  My eye doctor said he did not have anyone else who did this but I insisted this is my best option at this time.  Give it a try.  It has made a world of difference for me.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62