News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

And the heat goes on !

Started by Redetha1, May 09, 2009, 08:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billydude

In social situations I can get a little anxious which starts the face sweating and then the embarrasment of that makes it even worse.   
About the heat sweats at night.  I'll often wake up in the morning at rate the night calling it a 4 sided night which means I've turned over both of my pillows to each side because they were wet.    But why do we get these head night sweats.  Does anyone have an explaination?   

ruby52

I've never heard of a chillow but that sounds lovely.Only problem would be at night waking up and throwing it off and on again as the chills then the heat comes and goes.
                                           Ruby

lindar

I have said for years that my thermostat was broken.  I get very hot and sweat sometimes and other times I get cold and can't get warm.  I too have night sweats.  When I mentioned these to my doctors, they write them off as menopause. 
I am 6 years past that so I know that isn't the cause but doctors have the equation:
older woman X hot = menopause
I feel like I'm frying in the sun.  Always looking for a spot of shade. 
All this does interfere with normal life doesn't it?
I was very interested in reading Steves comment about autonomic neuropathy.  I had not heard of that before.

Linda

JJ

Billydude you can include me on the head sweats..i remember during my last pregnancy a million years ago

i was due in Sept.so was going through a summer of fun...but everyone around me was pouring sweat..

i didn't even sweat from my head..it was really weird..and this was pre-dx of SJS..although after my

daughter was born i went into ICU due to blood pressure problems at the age of 25. I really wish some of these

specialist would read this forum I think there are a lot of connections they could find with just the info

we put on. Again don't know if the two connect or not.

JJ

Katybarstool

Hi CHickpea

I think I am a bit like you. In the mornings and afternoon, my feet freeze.  My family call me the sock queen - I have so many pairs of thick fluffy socks.  By bedtime, my feet are burning up and I have to poke them out from under the duvet

I have Raynauds and also PN. Do you think it's a combination of the two?

Kathyx

Billydude

One of the articles here on this site talks about the associated neuropathies that go along with Sjogrens.  One of them is autonomic neuropahy anhidrosis.   This article then explains what that means thus why we have facial sweating.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/473206_3

mom2kaipo

so it could be the sjogren's!  ah-HA!  i cannot tolerate heat, and if the temp is above 72 i'm starting to feel uncomfortable.  it is 82 in my office now and i feel sick.  i used to love summer, but now i dread it because of the heat.  we keep our home at 66 during the winter.  last night i had the a/c on 68 so i could sleep. :o    my pcp has done the same -- menopause.  hello, done with that a long time ago!  i spoke too soon in my other post, i guess.  the heat intolerance is one thing on my list that hasn't been addressed (correctly) yet.

Redetha

Oh yes, the SJS causes us to have overheating.  I really like it when my hair is so wet in the back--ha.  No, just read the posts and you'll see that a lot of us have the heat problem.  Good luck with your doctors.  I,m not sure what can be done about it except use the AC.  Hugs, Redetha

jaygee

hi All

I have been told my night sweats are menopausal, but I have no other real symptoms of menopause.  Sometimes I just absolutely fry.  Normally, though, I am frozen, whatever the temp.  So maybe its the sjs?

Billydude

Well.....as a man I can say its definately not menopause.   I'm sitting here typing with my forehead and hair drenched but anything below the neck is dry as a bone.   You could light a match under my dry underarms.
So.....NOT NOT NOT menopause.
Steve
P.S.  Looks like that link I gave needs a sign in but its a very simple sign in process.   Just enroll and then read it.  Its a little complicated but puts an answer to this mystery we all have.

Alex

I too live in the deep south, where we chew the air before we swallow.  On most days I feel over-heated, which is odd because my basal temp is usually between 96-97 degrees because of hypothyroid and Hashimoto's.  This week the temp in the house was 76, which should be comfortable level, but I had to turn the fans and AC on just to stop sweating.  Several times a month (3 nights in row this week) I wake up with night sweats.  If you find an answer, please let me know!

Redetha

Alex, since your email address is panhandle-- we must live realitively close.  I live in Mobile so you know that being close to the water the humid is the pits.   All I can do is suffer through the heat.  We put a generator (full house) on to out house.  After one of the hurricanes and without ac for a week, it was worth it.  I really hate that I perspire only on the back of my neck.  When I am hot my face turns beet red.  It is embarrassing when I am out in public.  ::)   Good luck and keep posting.   Redetha

Rhonda

I feel hot all the time too- thought it was just me! 

wen.uk

Fans all round please !!!!

Been having the head sweats for ages, and have recently come off HRT after 17 years so am also having the hot flashes to  complete the fun.  I've been taking sage and do find that it helps with the intensity of the flashes, and also not as frequent now.

Wen x

Katybarstool

Wen

What made you decide to come off the hrt? I found black cohosh good for the flashed, but you can't use it longterm.

Kathyx