News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

And the heat goes on !

Started by Redetha1, May 09, 2009, 08:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redetha1

Am I the only one who is hot all the time?  The only place I perspire now is at the back of my neck.  It is so embarrasing to have my hair wet in the back like I have had a shower and didn't finish drying my hair.  I live in the deep muggy South so I never seem to be completely cool.  Any suggestions  other than sitting under a fan all the time.  I have about 3 weeks left to teach school and one day is a field trip that I have no idea how I will endure.  It is to a farm and I did not plan this trip but was told my students needed to go.   Sorry for the complaining.  I know other are dealing with stuff also.

jonnell

Redetha,  I know they make these things you can wrap around your neck that are suppose to cool your body down Im not sure what they are called.  I saw them avertised on TV.   I dont like the heat either and it is really hard on by 4 year old who has SJS.     Hugs and Kissess   Jonnell and Jenna

fluffiebunnie

I feel hot all the time (I used to be constantly moaning I was cold before)... I not sure I can suggest anything.. I wear less than I used to!!

lynnmarie219

I'm another one whose thermostat is completely off and I get so hot so easily! It can get pretty embarrassing especially at work.

I use cool items on my head, neck and face a lot, I use fans very often at home and at work during all 4 seasons, and I love the A/C.

In fact my central A/C died last fall right at the end of the season and I am having estimates to get it repaired and I'm about to have a heart attack! I live in an older mobile home and they are not easy to cool...plus I don't want to put ton of money into this...but I don't think I have a choice. Window units just wont cut it and will be more expensive in the long run...so I may have to make the jump and make payments and hopefully get my money back if and when I decide to move.

Sorry I went off on my own rant about the A/C....that's my latest "crisis"! lol

Redetha1

I use fans all year long--It is hard on the rest of my family sometimes.  At school, I can control the AC in my room.  I try not to freeze out the kids and my aide.  I teach  Special Education.  I am retiring but will be back for another job my principal wants me to do so it will be easier.  I will miss my kids though.  Special Education is definitely my calling in life.   I will also sub some for the teachers for the deaf kids.  It is hard to find subs that use sign language.  Anyway, thanks for listening to me moan.

Chickpea

Hi Redetha

I just wanted to say that it's not moaning!  Never, ever apologise for letting us know how you are feeling.  It's what we're all here for:  one day we need to vent, and the next day we're offering someone else a shoulder to cry on.  It's what SjS World is all about and why we're a family - which you're part of!

It sounds as though you're a gifted teacher and your students are lucky to have you.  No wonder your headteacher doesn't want you to retire completely!  I used to teach History at university level and I miss it more than I can say.  There's nothing like it for job satisfaction.

Take care - Chickpea

Patze

Hi Redetha,

I'm another one that dislikes the heat, but I also don't like the cold; seems that this body of mine is getting so fussy at this stage of life.  I wonder if my body will ever settle down again? 

Nope, you're not moaning, your just letting it all hang out as they used to say back in "the day"! ;) :D


Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Billydude

Another one here.   Its more than disliking the heat.  Many of us have autonomic neuropathy and part of that means that our automatic way our body processes and controls heat is whacked.   I've heard of MS people having the same problem.  I absolutley cannot tolerate the heat and I live in a very hot dry part of California.   My doctor has even recommended that I move to a cooler climate.   I'm dreading the upcoming summer.
I do have some of those scarf like things that you can buy that have a gel in them and you soak them in cold water then wrap them around your neck.  That seems to help me somewhat.   
I also only sweat from the head.   The rest of my body barely sweats and I have night sweats from the head only.   No one has ever been able to explain to me why this happens but many of us report the same occurance.
Steve

ruby52

Hot flashes during menopause were something I could not live with and I went on Premarin which helped.Now with SJS  I have stayed on a very low dose even though my Drs. didn't like it much.Several times I tried without it and couldn't cope without.I've run out and know my GP will not give me a new script.I'm out of menopause so this is SJS.I can't sleep without waking constantly sweating.My DH can't touch me without another one starting up.I'm going insane with this.I want to go screaming from the room when they come on.I've got to find something to help so I can at least cope with it.I have terrible heat intolerance.Cold weather makes me ache but I forgot about heat intolerance and couldn't wait until warm weather.
                                                                    Ruby

Redetha

Thanks for all the replies and support.  I hate when I feel like I am the only person in my school that is hot. Today is Monday and I am at school.  Already, my hair is wet and I am trying not to freeze the kids out of the room.  This is a really great place to visit.  I thinks it help me cope with SJS.  Everyone, thanks !!!!!

Babs659

I often feel like my face is burning hot.  And at night my feet burn really bad.  But otherwise I absolutely love summer and warm weather.  I hate the cold, dark winter (upstate NY).

Leisa

I also suffer from the heat! My head sweats and hair gets soaked too! I run from the sun because i feel like it's frying me. My eyes are so dry the sun just kills them. I went to Florida to get out of the cold because it makes my R.A. flare so bad but when i got to Florida and in the sun my whole body broke out in a rash! I could only stay out and in the shade for very short periods of time! I feel ill when i get hot! I live in the south and so it's going to be a summer inside again!! ??? I'm so tired of all these strange symptoms and feel like no one understands until i visit here. Thanks to everyone for their venting, sharing and imput. This is a fantastic sight and i'm so happy i found you all. Thanks for caring and sharing!

lelole

HI,


You can get something called a Chillow, which is a cold pillow thing which can keep you cool when you are sleeping, I imagine you could use it to cool you duiring the day by using it like a cushion?
I don't have on myself yet, but was recommended it by a friend who swears by them...

Leah x

Patze

Uh Leah, that sounds wonderful!  I'll have to look them up, that is if I can remember! ;) :D


Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Chickpea

Hello sweating Sjoggies!

Does anyone else find that the cold sweats start when they're talking?  I can be chatting quite happily and then I'll be covered in cold sweat, to the extent that my hair is dripping wet.  This is particularly embarrassing with doctors because I get flustered by the sweats and then lose my train of thought and then I'm more embarrassed and my words come out wrong ...

I also wondered whether anyone's face gets very cold suddenly and stays that way for hours?  I can have a warm, red face for a whole morning and then from mid afternoon to night it's freezing cold.

Love to all from Cold-Cheeked-Chickpea