News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Newly Daignosed with MALT Lymphoma

Started by kjerstadj, May 06, 2009, 06:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kjerstadj

So I posted a couple of weeks ago right before I had Surgery - Thanks to all of you who were so great in helping through that rought time and all the stresses of pre-diagnosis.

WELLL>>>>> I had a Thumb size tumor removed from my left Parotid and turns out to be Non-Hodgkins MALT lymphoma.
I have been on a total roller coaster ride and to doctor appointments after doc apt. for more test.

PET - scan showed only localized Cancer cells in that Left parotid and Larynix - WHEW!
I had a bone Marrow Biopsy - That was Negative for Cancer!  WHEW!
I had my stomach scoped yesterday - and am waiting on those results should be back later this week.

Tommorow I am having my Dentist sign off any work needing to be done so I can begin Radiation treatment.

I am so "lucky" to be in the 5% of SjS people that develop Lymphoma.

As long as there is no Lymphoma in the GI Tract then I will begin the 4 weeks of Radiation treatments.
I have been told that the Radiation will have no Systemic affects that i will just get a Very Sore throat and dry mouth - Nothing new there! - and by the time the 4 weeks is over my skin will just be starting to get red and burn.

Has anyone here ever had any Auto-imune disorders and had to undergo Radation treatments?
Or been diagnosed with MALT - Lymphoma?  So far mine apears to be in the parotid but we are stil waiting on the GI Biopsy.

I am very worried about how this will affect my other diseases - Lupus - 2nd Sjogrens - Raynauds Phenomenon.....
I am already tired from the Surgery recovery - and have my bad days with pain and inflamation especially around my right kidney - so i am trying to prepare myself for what is to come.

I work full time and am feeling very guilty about taking two weeks off during the radation treatment.  If i get extremely tired it will become more - I am so luck to have job security - i am the only person in my company that knows how to do what i do and i save them lots of money - but know i will be comming back to lots of work!  So my time off always comes at a price!

I have 3 kids that do help me out and an AWESOME husband that cooks and cleans and lets me cry when i am scared and goes to all my major appointments with me so i count myself luck there!

Anyway - any advice from you SJS survirvors would be greatfully received! ;)

lesmom

Hi, Kjerstadj
I'm still new to this SJS thing , Raynauds and who knows what else. I just wanted to pass on that my thoughts are with you. Good luck with your results and treatments. Keep us posted.

Sending you a big hug,
Leslie

eyeamdry

Hi kj......
I have Sjogrens and was diagnosed just six months after that dx with breast cancer.  I had lumpectomy and radiation x 37.  My radiation was, of course, pointed at the breast with the cancer.  I didn't have very bad skin problems, they give you soothing stuff to use. 

I must say that fatigue was the max with me.  We can't tell that will be the case with you!  You are much younger than me, for example.  I see your post about being one of "the lucky 5% of Sjogrens who get lymphoma."  That is sort of how things are explained with cancer.  With my breast cancer, we were lucky we caught it early, I was lucky because it was a certain type of tumor, and at the end I was just overjoyed to have cancer.  NOT. 

I have a good husband as you do, too and that is a big help.  Your kids will help keep your mind on other things.   It sounds like you are a trooper and you'll get through this just fine.  Stay tuned to us, there is a ton of support here.  During my cancer treatment, I posted about it lots of times and people were just so supportive.  You'll get the same here.  Lucy

Katybarstool

Hi Kj

I'm sory you are having so much to deal with just now. As Lucy says, you will get lots of support from your Sjoggie friends, so just come here when you feel up to it, and we will give you lots of psotive vibes and cyber hugs when you need them.

Keep your chin up.

Kathyx

ohiolady

Hi KJ,

I have Sjogrens and on Christmas Eve morning this past year had an abdominal ultrasound which revealed a large tumor on my left kidney.  On Jan. 15th, they removed my kidney along with the tumor.  I'm told I have a good prognosis but, boy, do I know how that diagnosis can just rock your world.  I will pray for everything to go smoothly and for a good recovery.  I know it is so scary.  I hope we can help you through this terrible time.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

HL in NY

Hugs KJ!!!!

Yes, I've had MALT lymphoma in my parotid gland. Surgery, chemo, radiation.

Four hundred million tests.

Lots of education and worries.

I'm at your disposal.

Great news about it being limited. Even if it's not, don't panic. It's easily treatable.

Good news about MALT: Its super slow growing and super-survivable. Really, if you've look at the stats, most people who get this are in their 60's and ten years out 90% of them are still alive. (Which I think is good for any group of 60 yr olds)

Radiaton thoughts: How many grays are they treating you with? The standard dose is 30. If it's more, I'd ask why.

The biggest pain in radiation is getting set up. Expect another CT scan (because you just can never have enough of those) and then you'll be fitted for this semi-rigid mask thing, to keep your head perfectly still and make sure you're irradiated in the same place every time. It's kinda like a fencing mask, except it snaps onto the table on which you'll be laying.

Treatment itself is very quick. Waltz in, lay down, get the mask thingie put on, the table is moved into position, and the radiation itself is about a minute or so. Tech comes back, moves the table down, unhooks the mask, and you're done. Once a week they'll do a little interview, check how you're doing. Take blood. Fun stuff like that.

Now, like you, they promised me there would be no side effects or pain. I can't think of any other way of phrasing this: That was a lie. I had quite a bit of pain in my jaw and a lot of fatigue. Also my skin was pretty toasted by the end. I don't know if it's Sjs that made me have such trouble, but it wasn't fun.

Get lots of ointment for your skin. Calendula gel has been clinically proven to help.

Other thoughts: You might want to visit http://www.lymphomation.org/ which is a fantastic resource for patients and lets you read all the recent medical studies on this. (I'm one of those people who needs as much information as possible)

Talk to your medical oncologist about Rituxan. There is a study out there that found that Stage 1 & 2 MALT patients that are treated with both radiation and rituxan have a significantly lower rate of relapse, plus, Rituxan is a really useful drug against Sjs.

Now that you're on the lymphoma train, you're also going to have to have your Rheumy evaluate your medications. Some of them have increased risk of lymphoma as a side effect and so they're no longer going to be part of your current or future treatment plan.

Finally, don't be embarrassed to ask your doctor for help in the area of mental health. Cancer does a real number of your sense of self and most people who have been through it fine themselves clinically depressed afterwards. Having some heavy duty chronic diseases is not going to help the picture. After my treatment I was depressed, and a year of antidepressants and therapy was necessary.

Please feel free to ask any questions you have. I'm more than happy to talk about my experiences or just listen to what's happening with you.

All the best,

Heather

jonnell

Hi KJ  thoughts and prayers are with you.   Hugs and Kisses   Jonnell and Jenna

Scottietottie

Hi KJ  :)

I'm so sorry to hear that you are one of the 'lucky' few.  :(

I've heard that they can target radiation much better than they used to be able to and also that it tends to have less side effects than chemo.
I know a cousin of my husbands had radiation when she was only about 9 and it was much more hit and miss that it is now. She had bone cancer in her arm.
She's now in her late forties with 3 lovely kids and her cancer never recurred.

Best of luck through this difficult time. I hope you can find ways of relaxing during them to try to minimise the stress that you are obvioulsy under.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)


Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Redetha

   My thoughts and prayers are with you.  I have not experienced your diagnosis and I am sure you are worried.  Remember that you have people here who understand you...

harrigan

Just wanted to add my thoughts and best wishes over the next few weeks KJ.  It's a tough thing to remain positive but I hope you will post as often as you can and feel free to share all the bits you can't or don't want to say at home.  Good luck - everything is crossed xx Ailsa
Female, 54
Diagnosed with Sjogrens March 09; Rheumatoid Arthritis February 2010
Meds: abatacept, Methotrexate injections , Folic Acid, Amitriptyline, Ozepramole, Tramacet, Glandosane & Viscotears.

Chickpea

Hi KJ

Glad you came here to share your news.  I'm dreadfully sorry this has happened and I hope we can offer support and love as you go through the treatment.  Heather's post was so informative and honest; it will be great to have someone to tell about the stages of treatment who will really empathise.

You are very blessed with your family - a husband who cooks and cleans is one to be treasured!  One who holds you when you cry is a jewel.

Thinking of you - Chickpea

missyb

how frightening. I'm sorry this is happening but glad it was caught..
best wishes

Victoria05202000

KJ,

Sending many prayers and thoughts your way. I work in two areas of my hospital and one is in the Cancer Center. I have met AMAZING people of all ages and walks of life. Stay strong...you seem to have a great attitude which I swear can cure any cancer.

Take Care!
Vicky

Cheryl

KJ,
  I understand how overwhelming and unreal it feels to be diagnosed with lymphoma.   I remember thinking that my body had betrayed me. 
 
  As Heather told you, this stuff does respond to treatment!  Mine has been in remission for over 9 years! 

   Follow the advice of those who reminded you to stay positive!  Please keep us posted, and know that you are in my prayers.

Hugs,
Cheryl
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

KYMOM

KJ, You are very fortunate to have a good support system at home.  Good luck with your treatments and my thoughts will be with you.  Roxanne