News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

Dry mouth lozenges

Started by Calli66, April 19, 2009, 07:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calli66

A woman in my SjS support group swears by Numoisyn (a prescription)---sugarless tiny pellet-like thing that you dissolve in your mouth to stimulate saliva flow. It has malic and citric acid---a little tart but not sour. I tried one at the meeting and decided to get an Rx for it.

But-----it's $25 for 100 lozenges! My insurance doesn't cover it. I went ahead and got it this once, and they do help quite a bit.

Goods news is that I found a cheaper alternative. Bought this at Whole Foods--it's called Spry Lemonburst Mints (not really mints). Same principle---sugarless (xylitol), lemon, very small like tic-tacs. They seem to work the same as the Numoisyn and cost only $8 for 240 pieces. I've only been using them 2 days, and find that now if I even "think" about them---the memory action gets a little saliva flowing. I am encouraged by this. The company is www.xlearinc.com (look on the products page--Spry Dental) and they have other products for dry mouth, too.

If you have some salivary gland function left, these products stimulate it.

Calli

Scottietottie

Hi Calli  :)

The lozenges my doc prescribes also have malic acid in them. They are called Salivix and they do help a bit too - but not for all that long.

Glad you've found something that's helping.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)


Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

BonusMom

I was given samples of the Numosyn (sp?) And love them. The rheumy gave me an RX, but I haven't yet had it filled.  I think I'll call the mail order pharmacy before I send it in to make sure it's not an arm and a leg!

ErinG

I got a prescription filled for Numoisyn last month, 120 lozenges for $14.40.  My insurance didn't cover it because the cost was so low.  I find that I don't need to take 4 per day as my rheumy prescribed it because I'm always chewing gum (or eating).  They do work pretty well.

DesignerS

Oh my goodness!  I went to pick up my numoisyn prescription and the pharmacy charged me $59.00  :o  I told them, no thank you, but they said the seal was broken and I had to take them.  Seriously, are they THAT good?  I am wondering if you can get the same benefit from sugar-free candy. 

Designer

ohiolady

I had a prescription for Numoisyn and my sugar free Ricola mountain herb drops work better.  Honestly, if your mouth is very dry at all, these work no better than a sugar free CHEAP drop.  I cannot believe they are prescription.  If I remember correctly, they have a lot of mannitol, sorbitol, and malic acid.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

eyeamdry

I was given a bottle of Nuomoisyn and I honestly don't think much of them.  I have them by my bedside because it's something i can take when sleeping without choking to death.  They disolve in just a very quick time.  I won't pay for them so I guess I won't be using them again.  I would agree with those who say the little candies work as well.  Taste better, too.  Lucy

Patze

Wow, that is expensive!  Whew, drug companies are going to get us one way or another.  I love the alternatives y'all have come up with!  I'll try to remember them when my mouth gets on the dry side (keeping my fingers crossed!  :D).


Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Cheryl

My insurance does cover the Numoisyn.   I like to have them in my purse wherever I am.  They help to tide me over to the next dose of Evoxac.   I did have trouble filling the prescription, though.   My regular pharmacy couldn't get them for me, but Walgreens special ordered them.
Cheryl
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time