News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

Flu shot causing flare?

Started by Deb 27, December 11, 2016, 01:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deb 27

So, I had to get a flu shot yesterday. Just can't risk getting it at my age with asthma and I work in health care.  But this afternoon, my energy feels like it's been drained and I ache all over. Does this happen to anyone else? There have been times I felt it caused a small flare but this is kind of tough. I ache all over. Gonna try some tylenol.  Maybe I just forget how bad it makes me feel every year. 
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

Nymph

I get the flu shot every year. This happened to me once. It is probably not a flare just a relatively common side effect as your immune system responds to the vaccine. It's not fun, but you should feel better in a day or two.
38 y.o. teacher; anti-CCP+, RF+, otherwise seronegative; POTS; Plaquenil, Allegra, Depakote, Neurolink, C, probiotic, multi-V, magnesium, quercetin, NAC, DHEA, fish oil, D3, turmeric, ubiquinol; <3 my neti pot

Jasper

Flu shots make me feel like I am in a mini flare. The flu shot ramps up the immune system a little as it builds antibodies to the flu. So naturally we are going to feel a little worse as our immune systems ramp up even more than they already are.

I usually feel better after a few days.

Common side effects from the flu shot include:

    Soreness, redness, and/or swelling from the shot
    Headache
    Fever
    Nausea
    Muscle aches

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/general.htm
ANA 1:160; SS-A+; MSG +; Plaquenil, Rituxan infusions, Restasis, HRT, Curcumin, Calcium, CoQ10, NAC, Resveratrol, Whole Omega, Omega 3, R Lipoic Acid, Acetyl L Carnitine, Krill Oil, Mag. Threonate, Bio-Collagen UC II, NAD+, & Vit A, B, C, D, E, K 1 & 2.

jazzlover

Too much junk in those.. I'm so sorry you have to get one each year.

Feel better soon!
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, mycoplasma,  recovered from Lyme disease

GgcJap

I was under the impression that those with autoimmune shouldn't have flu shots? Correct me if I'm wrong.
38yo Australian M (living in Japan)
Blood work negative, biopsy negative,
Dry eyes, mouth, nose, random muscle pains at random times
Evoxac, Plaquenil

warmwaters

 GgcJap - my understanding from my doctors is that you should get it, unless you have a specific profile that says not to (problems with the contest of flu shot, problems with your immune system).

Deb 27  - For me, it hits me for 3-4 days feeling sort of "blah", but compared to getting the flu, it's better. Hang in there.
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

GgcJap

Sorry I remember now, it was live flu shots while on steroids you shouldn't have. Or so I read.
38yo Australian M (living in Japan)
Blood work negative, biopsy negative,
Dry eyes, mouth, nose, random muscle pains at random times
Evoxac, Plaquenil