News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

Newbe question

Started by meadow_65, December 11, 2016, 08:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

meadow_65

Hello, I am just in the early diagnosis stage after years of struggling with my Dr. I see a Rheumi at the end of January. Something Im sure all can relate to. I came down with a cold last week and although the cold is better, the pain, fatigue and weakness are not. Possibly even worse. Ive read about the virus causing a flareup and Im thinking thats what this is, since it really is simply a worsening of my daily symptoms. Over the years, this has caused me to become inactive, which I know is not the answer. So, with that, my question is, what is the best way for us to increase activity while resting enough to get through the flare up? Are there activities that are better for us living in the AI world? I dont want to end up like my Grandmother who became bed ridden due to her symptoms. TIA for any suggestions you may have.

Navigator

Walk outside and ideally in nature or if there is no nature around window shop.  The important thing is to move at some pace.
Hashimotos thyroiditis, Primary SJS, IBS, autoimmune hearing loss, leucopenia, arthritis,asthma.
Synthroid, Plaquenil, Crestor, Evoxac,Vit D , Fish Oil, Restasis, Daily Walking, Sleep, Baby aspirin, Probiotic, avoid gluten,dairy and sugar, hearing aide, gratitude, big dog

Jasper

I find that doing stretching and strengthening exercises keep me limber and help me get some exercise. They help with stiffness and joint aches/pains. I do them every morning when I first awaken. 3/4 of them are done in bed, so very easy to do when I first wake up. It takes me 1.5 hours to do all of them, but I always do them because they make me feel better.

I also do Tai Chi Chih for an hour 3 times a week. These are gentle and easy and they also help me to feel better.
ANA 1:160; SS-A+; MSG +; Plaquenil, Rituxan infusions, Restasis, HRT, Curcumin, Calcium, CoQ10, NAC, Resveratrol, Whole Omega, Omega 3, R Lipoic Acid, Acetyl L Carnitine, Krill Oil, Mag. Threonate, Bio-Collagen UC II, NAD+, & Vit A, B, C, D, E, K 1 & 2.

irish

It is really hard to get exercise when one is having an infection withy increased Sjogrens symptoms. I don't get exercise outside much but I know that I get up and walk around the house a lot. I am by nature one who gets uneasy sitting around and I swear that somedays I cant sit more than 10 minutes and I am up.However, I do not get anything done! lol

Another thing you can do is the passive exercise while lying or sitting. Tightening the muscles of the legs, abdominal muscles, etc. Also, the exercise bands are great for doing some more active stretching exercises. You can buy these at Walmart and I would advise you to either buy the sets of 4 or so or bet one that is one step up from the easiest one. You want to have a band that is not too hard to use but that will give you enough resistance for muscle activity.

The bad thing about being laid up too long without exercise is the lack of cardiopulmonary exercise one gets. That is where the walking, especially outside helps. I have always loaded my own groceries and when I can I park far out in the parking lot so I have to walk, Anytime someone offers to help me I usually thank them and tell them I will do it for the exercise.

In my life this has been going on since in the late 1990's and I am still pretty mobile and limber except when I am having a period of bad pain and illness. Thankfully this usually comes and goes. Years ago I think people were more prone to set when they didn't feel well. My theory is that moving around will not kill us and only makes us stronger. I know it is hard with weakness and sweating, etc, shortness of breath, etc but when you keep active at the best of your ability I think it prolongs the wheel chair thingy. Good luck. Irish

meadow_65

Thank you all. I kept myself pretty busy around the house yesterday and kept moving for several hours, your right, I did feel better moving around and things are no worse this morning. I also ordered a Tai Chi video set yesterday.