News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

The flu, terrible joint pain

Started by Blomst, December 06, 2016, 03:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blomst

Hi guys,

I have been under with the flu for the past couple of days. Of course, the flu is never fun and usually involves some joint and muscle pain. But this time is the first time I've had the flu since my Sjogren's symptoms first appeared a year ago, and my joints are now K-I-L-L-I-N-G me, especially my hip joints (which are the joints I've been having the most problems with since the onset of the disease) and my lower back/pelvis (I think it's the SI joints that are causing pain, but it's hard to know if it's that or spasms in the soft tissue around them). It's really torture and it's keeping me up all night because it hurts so much to lie down, however I have no energy for walking around either.

So I guess I'm now wondering if any of you share the same experience, and that the increased joint pain subsides when the disease gets under control? Or can I (my big dread at the moment) expect that the flu has set in motion a flare that will last after the flu is over?

Really appreciate all input!!

-- Btw, on a different note, I just recalled that few months ago I experienced a sudden increase in of pain in these same joints and an all over "flu/fever like" feeling except with no runny nose or sore throat. It only lasted a couple of hours and went back to normal (which is slight but not debilitating pain in hips) as quickly as it had come. Can I assume that was a really quick flare?

Scottietottie

Hi  :)

I haven't had flu for quite a lot of years but the last time I DID have it I found it completely debillitating - and I ached all over.

Recently I've had a virus of some kind. No cold, no flu, but a bit of a cough - rough throat and I lost my voice for a couple of days. I ached like hec. I only ran a low level fever but my shoulders ached, my lower back ached and my legs ached.

Take plenty fluids - and paracetamol/tylenol - rest up - and hopefully you'll stop the really bad aching when the flu goes. We never seem to have all the aching go away!

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)


Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Joe S.

Please see a doctor as soon as possible. Have blood drawn.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Blomst

#3
Quote from: Joe S. on December 06, 2016, 06:05:32 PM
Please see a doctor as soon as possible. Have blood drawn.

Why do you think I need to see a doctor? I'm currently living abroad in a non-English speaking country and seeing a doctor seems like a lot of hassle. The doctor connected to my university speaks very little English. And a flu isn't treatable anyway?

I'm taking paracetamol and drinking lots of water. Feeling maybe 20% better today, but the joints still ache like heck.

Jenny

I rarely get the flue and strangely I am seldom sick.  BUT, when i run a fever, even 99 degrees, my low back feels like it's breaking in half. Right now my elbows are hurting like heck and i haven't used them for anything. You shouldn't need to see a doctor unless you start going downhill. Get well soon.
65 year old female with back, shoulder, neck and knee pain, dry mouth, losing teeth, dry sinuses,Blood test positive for Sjogrens. Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis .
Maloxicam, Lisinopril, Norco, misc.vitamins
4 discs in low back fused. Shoulder replaced 2015 & 2017 Need knee replaced.
4 hand surgeries

Blomst

Quote from: Jenny on December 07, 2016, 04:20:04 AM
I rarely get the flue and strangely I am seldom sick.  BUT, when i run a fever, even 99 degrees, my low back feels like it's breaking in half. Right now my elbows are hurting like heck and i haven't used them for anything. You shouldn't need to see a doctor unless you start going downhill. Get well soon.

Thanks so much, this gives me hope that my increased joint pain is also directly connected to the fever and will subside together with the fever. Right now it's so bad it's keeping me from sleeping, and when I do fall asleep I have constant dreams of different forms of pain being inflicted on my hips and pelvis, like being stuck under a car, even being kidnapped and tortured by having holes drilled in my hips... Probably a combination of the pain and fever fantasies, and I guess I'll be able to think of it as somewhat amusing later, but right now it's just dreadful.

Sorry for rambling and whining... Like I said I'm abroad and don't really have anyone to complain to or to care for me in any way here, so I just find some relief in talking about it in here. Thanks for all of your good wishes!!