News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

Hematologist?

Started by Sharon, December 04, 2016, 12:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharon

I'm wondering if it's worth seeing a hematologist.
Have hematologists helped anyone here with diagnosis or treatment?
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

SjoGirl

I saw one, but that is because I was so anemic they needed to figure out why. The first hematologist I saw did a bone marrow biopsy and found out I had no storage iron. Three hematologists later I leaned that my anemia is part of my autoimmune issues. Taking iron or other supplements does not help, I just have to watch that my counts (whites get low to as do others) don't get too low (I have a CBC done  at least once a year). So yes, it was helpful, although like other things never any cure.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

Nomad

I see one for low platelets.
Right now I go rather often.
She doesn't have much interest in my Sj Syndrome or Lupus.
I see a rheumatologist for that, although only once or twice a year.
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

lorigacc

I do see a hematologist for another autoimmune issue, Antiphospholipid syndrome.  Although its not part of my Sjogrens, it is another autoimmune disease. 
Secondary Sjogrens, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Antiphospholipid Syndrome, Osteoporosis, Vertebral Compression Fractures, Seizure disorder, Neuropathy
   Plaquenil, Methotrexate, Gabapentin, Prinivil, Amlodipine, Folic Acid, Fish oil, Vit D, OsCal, Align, Ecotrin, Zantac

Sharon

Some of my blood tests regarding platelet size, volume and unity came back unusual and have been getting worse over the past year.
My GP says that the results "aren't too irregular" although they're off and that he doesn't understand what problem they might indicate in any case.
I'm wondering if it's worth looking into this further.
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

SjoGirl

Sharon, Has your GP said whether she or he believes that the blood work might explain a particular symptom that you are having or be indicative of a specific disease process? If she or he is not well enough informed to say a visit with a hematologist might be in order. If nothing else, such a visit and testing can rule out a multitude of other possibilities (that was the case with my testing, ruled out many possible diseases).
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

Sharon

Hi SjoGirl,
My GP has no idea. He can't explain the blood test results.
Yes, I was thinking a hematologist might be able to rule out any other causes of my many symptoms.
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

SjoGirl

Good luck and let us know how it turns out if you do see someone.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.