News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Steroid eye drop dosage

Started by Wal, November 24, 2016, 12:56:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wal

For those on steroid drops, what was your dosage? My doc told me 4x day for a week then taper to 3x for a week and so forth. I just read all possible side effects and now I'm freaking out! I've been on it 5 days.

irish

Do not panic as the companies/literature have to keep track of things that occur when someone is on their med. Yes, there are times when there are reactions but they are the exception. The truth is we need meds at times to heal or improve our condition and we just have to accept that there is a small risk.

You are on these eye drops short term so that is also a plus. My DIL is standing here in the kitchen and she is an optometrist. She has practiced 14 years and uses the steroid eye drops all the time. I asked her and she said she has never had a patient with a bad reaction to steroid eye drops. I hope that you can relax about this treatment as it really should help reduce the inflammation in your eyes and that is really necessary. Good luck. Irish


cccourt1942

That Irish...so smart ...and with built in resources!!  :)

For 4 or 5 years prior to my dx, I had what was dxed as "allergic conjunctivitis."  It was Sjs---but that's beside the point.  My eyes literally looked like they were bleeding: NOTHING like pink eye, no matter the  root cause.  Anyway, the ophthal gave me steroid drops.  She directed to take X amount (don't recall) but for X time...which I do remember: no more than two weeks.  Fast forward to SjS dx.  Ophthal (different one  :) ) Rxed restasis AND steroid drops twice the strength of previous drops.  The dosage of steroid drops was one drop before each time I used restasis.  (twice daily) I was told to do this for 30 days...and then, he instructed, could use it as needed for eye discomfort but advised against regular use.  All totaled, I've used those drops for about 8 years.  No ill effects.  The steroid Rxed at Restasis Rx was to prepare the damaged eye so that the Restasis wouldn't hurt so badly.  It's been nearly three years and it still hurts most of the time when I use it.  :)

Happy Thanksgiving (if you are in the US)
ccc
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

irish

Using the steroids prior to as in 2 weeks prior to and 1/2 hour or so before the Restasis is really the advised way to start. Our eyes are so inflamed that they need the steroids to cut down on the pain. As we use the Restasis the inflammation is supposed to decrease.

There is a new eye drop out for dry eye and my DIL offered to order it for me. I have been doing ok on the Restasis so just stayed with it. This new drug is called Xiidra and is supposed to work well. I think that there are some people on this site who have started it but haven't heard the results. My DIL said that prior authorization is needed for this new drop and it has been taking forever. Just some info for you to investigate. Good luck all. Irish



Wal

Irish- thanks for that feedback. I do feel less anxious now. Though I will admit I haven't noticed a drastic improvement with the steroid drops. I started them with Xiidra. It does take edge off though which is nice. Makes me wonder though if my main issue is more MGD( meibobian gland dysfunction) related as my test break up time was the worse clinically. It was a 3.