News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

Nasal sprays - any opinions on which one is best?

Started by araminta, November 21, 2016, 03:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

araminta

I am having a lot of trouble sleeping at the moment, I know my nasal passages are quite narrow anyway, but they have been totally dry for about three years, and I wake up unable to breathe through my nose, then of course mouth breathing is horrible too because of the dryness.   I expect a lot of you have a similar problem.

Anyway I have been using Ayr saline spray, it seemed helpful at first but now it doesn't make much difference.   Has anyone tried a few of the sprays, and is there any real difference?   Thanks for any advice.

Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, occasional labyrinthitis,  dry skin , mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue, IBS.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Omega 3 algal oil, multivitamins, Evolve eye drops, Xailin eye ointment,  moisturiser (Instituto Espanol 10% urea).

quietdynamics


I just got out my crock pot, which I leave going next to the head of my bed during the winter.
With the bedroom upstairs and heat rises, air upstairs is very dry and while we sleep we do do open mouth breathing during sleep.
We have cats and they do not go near it. For myself it is easy to clean/rinse out.

...and staying hydrating with water.
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

Pete0211

I use breathe right strips when sleeping, which really help.

I also have humidifiers in my bedroom, home office, and living room to keep the humidity levels ~55%.

With this, I usually do not need sprays often. I do use the Arm and Hammer Simply Saline spray once in a while, I use Nasacort for my allergies as needed (since it's a steroid it might help with general dryness, but I haven't tried it like that), if needed I'll use the NeilMed Saline gel. I also have a sinupulse for full sinus rinses, when needed.
Male 49 y/o; Undergoing Primary SJS diagnosis process; Cevimeline, Ubiquinol, Restasis

cccourt1942

Great advice and hints already.  :)

You asked "best".  Really, not sure there is a best if SjS is involved.  I use an Rx Astelin.  I use not just infrequently but likely about 4 or 5 times a year.  It wreaks havoc with my dryness. 

I "taught" (trained) myself to sleep with my tongue in proper position (hugged against hard palate).  I am from Texas, a drawler, and we keep our tongues "at rest" lower mouth. But I knew I had to as that open mouth at night was killing me.  It took awhile....and I did it.  If I can, anyone can.  And I do have polyps, deviated septum, etc.  I knew I had enough open nasal passages to breathe....having had a nasal passage MRI MANY years ago. 

I also limit the amount of antihistamines I take.  I have to suffer a LOT of congestion to do that.  I also take a half. 

Btw: I use Ayr nasal gel.  I may get that spray upon your recommendation.  And...I wish I could tolerate the Breathe Right strips.  From the first time I viewed them, I realized it has to be one of the great inventions of all times!!
c3
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

Pete0211

Tongue position is key! I had to do the same as c3 to retrain my tongue to stay in a proper position when sleeping.
Male 49 y/o; Undergoing Primary SJS diagnosis process; Cevimeline, Ubiquinol, Restasis

Carolina

1. Humidifier 24/7 once the furnace is on.

2.  Mucinex Generic to thin mucus.

3.  Irrigate with Neti Spray Nasal Spray

4.  Add Nasocort.

If I can't breathe through my nose, then my mouth turns into a horror show of dryness.

Regards,  Elaine
Female-Elaine,83-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea)-COPD-Inter. Cys-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Erythromelalgia-SIBO-PMR-Adrenal Insufficiency-Hearing Loss-Achalasia-Bacteriurea-Power Chair-IVIG Gamunex 50 gm-Medrol-Wellbutrin-Buspar-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Salagen-LDN-Lipitor-Premarin-Nexium-Om.3-Repatha-KLOR-CON-Maxide

Judie P

Primary SJS, SS-A >8, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, asthma, Effexor, Vitamin D 1,000mg, magnesium, Motrin, Ayr Nasal Gel, Ayr nasal mist, Optique 1 eye drops

araminta

Many thanks for all your replies, you've given me some very helpful tips. :)

I understand what some of you are saying about training oneself to keep the mouth shut, however my nose is often so blocked that if I did that I wouldn't be able to breathe at all, a rather extreme solution to my problems, ha ha!
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, occasional labyrinthitis,  dry skin , mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue, IBS.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Omega 3 algal oil, multivitamins, Evolve eye drops, Xailin eye ointment,  moisturiser (Instituto Espanol 10% urea).

Sharon

Avamys is the only nasal spray that really helps me.
Took a month to kick in.
It is steroidal though.
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

Kathy57

I have to irrigate my sinuses with saline nasal rinse twice daily and if really dry, I will use it a third time.  Humidifiers are almost a necessity. 

I also have to coat the inside of my nose with a q - tip using Aquaphor ointment.  You can use Vaseline too.  I use the squeeze tubes.  NAC twice daily and 12 hour Mucinex when needed.

Good luck!  It is an ongoing problem and one that you are not alone in suffering!

Kathy
66 yr old female - Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations, Chronic Bronchitis, Asthma, albuterol, Breztri,  Osteoporosis,

jazzlover

I will try the crockpot! I can't use it for cooking anyway since I'm histamine intolerant.

Last winter when I tried to use my humidifier I realized that it was spewing mold, so that is OUT.

Thanks for a great tip.

I use Azelastine if my allergies act up (which is always) and I also use a steroid nasal spray.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, mycoplasma,  recovered from Lyme disease