News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

Too many drops?

Started by Wal, November 18, 2016, 01:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wal

Is it possible to overdue eye drops? Sometimes I wonder if I'm making my eyes worse by using them so much. The drops are thick and crust around my eye throughout the day. Thoughts?

bluegardenia

i use systane ultra and they told me  i dont have to put them more than 4 times a day . when i put them i afterwards gently wash away the excess with a pad and mineral water
60,primary sjs, diverticulosis,ibs,atrioventricular blocks 2 degree first type, acid reflux.
omeoprazole, vit c, flack seed, omega 3, b complex, nac,systane ultra, pineapple seeds

Pete0211

I don't think you can really use them too much - with the exception of drops that have preservatives - using those too much can cause irritation.

The crusty part is just the excess from the drops. I try to let the drops sit in my eyes for a couple of minutes, then use a tissue to sop up any extra on my eyelids/lashes.

It might be helpful to try a "lighter" lubricant drop that isn't as thick.

I do notice that if I use a heavier drop that is really needed, my eyes/lids will feel ... I guess tired is the best way to describe it.
Male 49 y/o; Undergoing Primary SJS diagnosis process; Cevimeline, Ubiquinol, Restasis

quietdynamics


After trying a few.. I stayed with Systane Balance.
I put one drop in, shut my eyes and roll them around to spread.

Yes, the crusty stuff.. is the overspill.

I read that if you need to keep reapplying the drops are not working for you. Perhaps try another brand.
And look into taking a fish oil supplement?
If you do a lot of computer work.. people tend to blink less and their eyes dry when on computer, reading, watching TV so give yourself a moment to close eyes and rest.
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

cccourt1942

What Pete said: key is NON=preservative drops.  I use individual Alcon Naturale Tears.  Not recommending: giving an example of individual vial delivery.
c3
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene