News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

MSM for inflammation

Started by Sharon, November 09, 2016, 03:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharon

Is anyone here taking MSM supplements for joint, gut or other issues?
The claims regarding it seem too good to be true:
draxe.com/msm-supplement/
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

Maria3667

#1
Well actually it was effective against joint pain for me, but the darn stuff makes me so grumpy! I also had to quit curcumin (turmeric) due to anxiety and likewise nigella sativa ( black cumin).  Even the innocently sounding gelatin powder (Knox)  turned me into a bad tempered woman. It's like my immune system rebels every time I try to tamper with it...

Hope you have better luck!
54. DES-daughter ('67), Lyme's ('98), GAD ('98), Sjogren's ('02) - changed to Sicca ('20), hypothyroid ('04), endometriosis ('14), osteoarthritis ('16), blepharitis & MGD ('18), Pilocarpine, thyroid meds, 12.5mg quetiapine. Allergies: sodium hydroxide, nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

Sharon

Good to know it actually worked for you Maria!
I'm willing to try anything at this point to avoid beginning the heavy meds.
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

Maria3667

Hi Sharon,

That's exactly the same reason why I'm on this supplement merry-go-round... I don't want to start using the big guns either because of the side effects. Only to find it's not so easy on the alternative side either... To keep a 'sane' overview I've started this database, listing the pro's & con's of each supplement.
Unfortunately supplements are often not so innocent as they appear to be. Often the recommended dosage has an overwhelming impact on me. Maybe because tweaking the immune system acts on the central nervous system too? I'm already an anxious person to start with, so upsetting the balance causes a cascade of nasty adverse effects...

In order to prevent the beast from awakening in me, I stick to this motto:

"Go low, go slow."

Wishing you all the best!
54. DES-daughter ('67), Lyme's ('98), GAD ('98), Sjogren's ('02) - changed to Sicca ('20), hypothyroid ('04), endometriosis ('14), osteoarthritis ('16), blepharitis & MGD ('18), Pilocarpine, thyroid meds, 12.5mg quetiapine. Allergies: sodium hydroxide, nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

Sharon

That database sounds like a good idea Maria.
My biggest problem so far going the alternative route is that the supplements
don't seem to be helping enough.
Curcumin and Vit. D were very helpful in the beginning but now I don't feel they're doing anything.
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

Lindabridge

Sharon,
I remember taking MSM tablets more than 15 years ago in the hope of reducing inflammation from relapsing polychondritis. It wasn't the cure ( probiotics did the job), but I didn't have any adverse reaction.

Now that you are refreshing my memory, I'm going to read up on the MSM powder. I'm going through a terrible flare right now, and ready for just about anything-- except worms. I may as well add MSM powder to my collagen cocktail. That, too, hasn't cured me.

Flares can cause you to lose the ability to think rationally, so I'm trying to be calm and not panic.
It's not easy.
Relapsing Polychondritis,Secondary Sjogren's, Acid Reflux,Osteoporosis, Synthroid, Plaquenil, Losartan HCTZ, Acidophilus,Omega 3, D3, Calcium, B12, Restasis

Sharon

Yes, it's important to try to stay calm but it really isn't easy!
Has that collagen cocktail been helping you with anything at all Linda?
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

Lindabridge

I believe the collagen cocktail has helped reduce fatigue, but it's hard to say.   
Relapsing Polychondritis,Secondary Sjogren's, Acid Reflux,Osteoporosis, Synthroid, Plaquenil, Losartan HCTZ, Acidophilus,Omega 3, D3, Calcium, B12, Restasis

Wal

I took MSM a few months ago for joint pain. It offered no relief for me. I stopped it because it was disrupting my sleep. You may respond differently though.

Sharon

Thanks for your responses Linda and Wal.
I suppose it may be worth a try,
though for right now I really need to find something SOS to help with the pain.
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....