News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Anyone tried Placental Membrane placement for corneal ulcers/abrasions

Started by Kadiddle, November 05, 2016, 08:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadiddle

I thought my eyes were doing pretty well after being on the Xiidra for a month, when I noticed the blurring happening again. I went to see my eye doc and he said the ulcers/abrasions were back. So..he opted to put a placental memberane on one of my eyes (so I could at least see with one). I'm hoping it helps my eyes to heal.
Has anyone tried these and what was their experience with them?
Primary Sjogren's, Undifferentiated Spondyloarthropathy dxed 1994, Dry eyes with corneal erosions and ulcers, dry mouth, chronic constipation,
Meds/Supps: Meloxicam, Restasis, Evoxac, Omega 3 with Flaxseed Oil,  Multi-vitamins, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Probiotics

irish

I have not had it done but my daughter in law is an eye doctor and she told me about this and showed me a video on it. It seems that it does help. It was given a trial by a doctor and a nurse ( I think this is right- medical people in opthalmogy) as they wanted to experience it and how it feels, etc.

It seems that this one ophthalmogy clinic has done this treatment quite a bit for several years with good luck.
As an old retired nurse I can see where this would help. The placental tissue is considered to be a tissue that is tender and would make a good cover for the eye. I guess the thing that bugged them the most was the fact that they you have to limit your activity during the treatment and hang out at home on the couch. Good luck with the treatment. Irish

Kadiddle

It worked!!! The ulcers and erosions on my right eye are completely healed for the first time in 5 months!!
So...now I have a membrane on my let eye hoping for the same results!!
Primary Sjogren's, Undifferentiated Spondyloarthropathy dxed 1994, Dry eyes with corneal erosions and ulcers, dry mouth, chronic constipation,
Meds/Supps: Meloxicam, Restasis, Evoxac, Omega 3 with Flaxseed Oil,  Multi-vitamins, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Probiotics

irish

So glad to hear that. I had heard that this was working. They did trials for 2 years I believe. I have to ask you, what did you do to keep occupied when you couldn't see so well? Irish

Kadiddle

I got cranky, that's for sure!  :-\
I still did what I normally did, and I even went to work. I just had to work extra hard to concentrate and remind myself this would be over in a few days. And... the doc only did one eye at a time. Thank goodness. I have a friend who is blind in one eye and it gave me a new appreciation for what she deals with. I have bruises on my shins from running into my bed, and the coffee table!
Primary Sjogren's, Undifferentiated Spondyloarthropathy dxed 1994, Dry eyes with corneal erosions and ulcers, dry mouth, chronic constipation,
Meds/Supps: Meloxicam, Restasis, Evoxac, Omega 3 with Flaxseed Oil,  Multi-vitamins, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Probiotics