News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

Salagen making saliva worse?

Started by GgcJap, November 02, 2016, 02:48:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GgcJap

Hi all,
     Just in the last few days, maybe a week I've noticed my saliva gets thicker after taking salagen. Also the amount of time it works has at least halved from 4hrs to maybe 2 if I'm lucky now. I have noticed that when I don't take it, although I don't have that much saliva, close to none, the saliva I do is cleaner so to speak.

Has anyone found this or can help explain as to why this might happen?

GgcJap
38yo Australian M (living in Japan)
Blood work negative, biopsy negative,
Dry eyes, mouth, nose, random muscle pains at random times
Evoxac, Plaquenil

Sharon

Only idea that comes to mind is maybe the Salagen is helping to clean out some plaques that accumulated from your dryness with its more forceful action (a good thing).
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

GgcJap

Thx Sharon,

It could be cleaning I guess, forgive my ignorance but what are plaques? :)

GgcJap
38yo Australian M (living in Japan)
Blood work negative, biopsy negative,
Dry eyes, mouth, nose, random muscle pains at random times
Evoxac, Plaquenil

Sharon

A doctor I went to called them that.
Essentially it's the buildup of mineral deposits and mucous in the salivary glands
when saliva sits in them not moving along for too long.

It may also be possible that the Salagen itself is increasing the mucous content in your saliva
since it makes the glands work overtime. Just another theory though.
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

GgcJap

Thx Sharon,

It definitely is quite possible, I guess like most things I'll just have to wait and see.
It seems at the moment if I take salagen or not I still get the same amount of saliva, which is next to none by the way. When I first started taking it I got a lot.

GgcJap
38yo Australian M (living in Japan)
Blood work negative, biopsy negative,
Dry eyes, mouth, nose, random muscle pains at random times
Evoxac, Plaquenil

Sharon

A shame it's not doing much for you anymore.
The one thing that has helped me (and many others here) with saliva production
is the supplement Ubiquinol. It takes time to kick in, but after it does it can really make a difference!
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

Spring

I found that I needed to drink more water to thin it out. I found when it started working, I drank less, and caused what you describe, so I upped water again.
IT drove me crazy with the 2 hours of good followed with 2 of dry then 2 of good, the ups and downs all day with the salagen related to timing of pill. Eventually I got on cevimeline and that is a whole lot more stable, smooth, less ups and downs, though they are still there, at least I can get 4-6 hours before getting overdry again. (take it 3 times a day).

GgcJap

Hi Spring, your story sounds a lot like mine, I might see if drinking more water helps. I will also ask my doctor about cevimeline, if I can get it over here I'll have to try it. The ups and downs are annoying to say the least.

GgcJap
38yo Australian M (living in Japan)
Blood work negative, biopsy negative,
Dry eyes, mouth, nose, random muscle pains at random times
Evoxac, Plaquenil

irish

I would just keep on with the Salogen and see what happens. The good thing is you have more saliva which helps when you eat. Actually, when I took salogen and the increase in saliva never lasted 4 hours. I usually had more saliva for 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours. We are all different in the way we react to meds so anything is possible. Irish

GgcJap

Hi Irish,
     I did ask my ENT about cevimeline today and I can get it over here but he couldn't prescribe it. I'll have to wait until I see the Sj?gren's specialist(I'm now waiting on a referral letter). Your right though as long as I have some nothing to help me eat that's all that really matters. Your also right about anything is possible. :) I'll just have to wait and see.

GgcJap
38yo Australian M (living in Japan)
Blood work negative, biopsy negative,
Dry eyes, mouth, nose, random muscle pains at random times
Evoxac, Plaquenil