News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

Waiting for Dec 8th Rheumy appt. Advice on what I can do before then

Started by Kadiddle, October 30, 2016, 04:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadiddle

I'm baaack. I have been trying to read as much as I can about Sjogren's and what to do to take care of myself. Some other symptoms have appeared and I'm trying to cope, or rather, stay positive and upbeat.
I am waking up stiffer every morning with some swelling in my hands and fingers. I've done this before and was diagnosed awhile ago with Spondyloarthropathy.
However, I seem to ache all day and it's almost every joint. No particular swelling other then my hands. I think i'm getting some plantar fasciitis again. It feels like I'm walking on rocks when I get up in the morning. And I do believe I am getting pretty fatigued, although I am having a difficult time admitting and accepting that.
I work about 30 hours a week and I'm on my feet. Once I get going, I seem to be okay, but I have moments of extreme drowsiness in the middle of my shift. I just get up and walk it out several times. When I get home, I crash. If I don't fall alseep, I'm just lying down and reading or doing things I can do sitting down. BUt then....I stiffen up some more, so I have to get up and move. It's exhausting just trying to figure out what I can do that would be best.
I kind of wish I was just on a dose of steroids to get me through this until I see the Rhuematologist, but since this will be my first visit, I don't think she will want to prescribe it.

Any advice? Should I talk with my PCP about this? She's already upped my dose of Meloxicam and I am taking Ibuprofen as well. It doesn't seem to make much difference. My eyes are much better since being on the Xiidra.

I will do ANYTHING to keep these symptoms at bay!! I just don't know what to do. OR.....is this something I am going to have to get used to and adjust my life around? I'm an RN and I don't want to stop working. I just want to do what I can to keep going. Anyone here do alot of walking? Does that help or hinder? Any kind of easy exercises that help with the pain and achiness?

If there are other threads that I need to look at, please direct me. There are so many that I get LOST!!!!

So happy to have found this forum though. It has been a real blessing. Misery loves company, I guess. (I say that with a hint of sarcasm.) My goal is to keep on functioning and enjoying life.
Primary Sjogren's, Undifferentiated Spondyloarthropathy dxed 1994, Dry eyes with corneal erosions and ulcers, dry mouth, chronic constipation,
Meds/Supps: Meloxicam, Restasis, Evoxac, Omega 3 with Flaxseed Oil,  Multi-vitamins, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Probiotics

SunshineDaydream

Lack of visible swelling doesn't mean lack of inflammation in your body. I use Life Extensions Super Bio Curcumin for its anti-inflammatory effect to alleviate and prevent joint aches, pains and stiffness - one capsule in the morning and one at night. Curcumin is the key active ingredient in tumeric.

As to plantar fasciitis, my podiatrist relative recommended Vionic shoes have been sole savers for me. They are a little expensive, but DSW carries them so a little discount there. You don't necessarily need this brand, just shoes with great arch support. Rolling your feet on a frozen water bottle helps when in pain. I got a massage ball from Amazon called Foot Rubz which feels good. My gym has something really helpful that feels great - it either is or like FootSmart SmartFlexx stretching device or Medi-Dyne ProStretch Unilateral Stretching System, both of which can also be found on Amazon. Once you figure out how the devices work, though, you'll find you can do the stretch using a stair in your house if you have stairs.

Do give the plaquenil time, though. It pretty much eliminated my achiness, fatigue and brain fog during the time I took it.
Sjogren's, lupus, OAB and osteopenia
Rx: Evoxac and Myrbetriq
Vitamins and Supplements: A, B complex, C, D3, E, calcium orotate, magnesium glycinate, D-Mannose, curcumin, fish oil, probiotic

Kadiddle

Thanks Sunshine Daydream. I will heed your advice. I'm not on Plaquenil and don't even think my PCP would prescribe it. I'm guessing she'll want me to wait for the Rheumy to prescribe it. We'll see. But it's nice to know there is something that will alleviate some of these symptoms. I sometimes wonder if I'm going to feel this way the rest of my life.
I do wear good shoes and if they're is any question on how much support I'm getting, I have really good inserts I'll use. I'll check out the shoes and devices you mentioned.
As I type, I am rolling my feet on frozen ice bottles. It does help.
Primary Sjogren's, Undifferentiated Spondyloarthropathy dxed 1994, Dry eyes with corneal erosions and ulcers, dry mouth, chronic constipation,
Meds/Supps: Meloxicam, Restasis, Evoxac, Omega 3 with Flaxseed Oil,  Multi-vitamins, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Probiotics

SunshineDaydream

Oops, I mixed the plaquenil part up with you and another poster in a different thread. Glad you are getting some relief from the frozen water bottles.
Sjogren's, lupus, OAB and osteopenia
Rx: Evoxac and Myrbetriq
Vitamins and Supplements: A, B complex, C, D3, E, calcium orotate, magnesium glycinate, D-Mannose, curcumin, fish oil, probiotic

Linda196

Is your doctor aware that you take ibuprophen in addition to your Meloxicam? If he is, and maybe even suggested it, my concern is invalid, but if not, it's not recommended to take more than one NSAID. The cumulative effect on the stomach could be bad enough, but  studies have shown there could be other, more serious, issues.

This paper reports on a small, but well documented, study at Duke University : http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/574906

It doesn't touch on the ongoing issues of NSAIDS and potential cardiac issues, because it was published in 2008, but since many RX NSAIDS have been withdrawn, and others provided on a limited basis, like  Meloxicam, the concerns are valid.

Have you tried Acetiminophen (Tylenol) for additional pain management? I know, everyone says it doesn't do anything for pain, but it can be effective if used in addition to something like the Meloxicam, or before the pain becomes excruciating.

Other than medications, you're on the right track with the ice bottle, and the inserts would probably help daily, not just when you feel you need "extra" support. There are many exercises for plantar fasciitis, and on an individual basis , some work , some don't. My personal favourite, that Sunshine Daydream touched on, is standing on a step, just the balls of my feet touching with the arch and heel hanging over the edge, and slowly lowering and raising my heels just an inch or two...be very careful to have rails on each side and use them for support! When it comes to exercise, this is about as strenuous as I get, but I can call it my "full body workout" because I'm lifting my whole body, right?

The stiffness is so irritating and when combined with fatigue it's almost like your body is playing a game.....rest and I'll seize up, stretch those joints and I'll make you fall asleep standing up! I try to make a habit of a short rest period mid day, laying down for 20 -30 minutes , even if I don't have that "I'm gonna crash" feeling, but when I do, I use heated rice bags on my feet, ankles and hands. That's where I have the most issue with stiffening, and if I relax but keep them warm, it's less. I also do a full range of motion of those areas before I get up and put strain on them. The catch 22 here for you is, if you are in an active phase of fasciitis, heat isn't good for the feet, since it increases circulation to an already inflamed area, but other joints may benefit.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https:https://sjogrensworld.org/index.php?board=30.0

Joe S.

When you go, bring list of what you are experiencing. (3 copies)

Bring a list of all your medications and dosage. (3 copies)

Bring your own advocate with and make sure he/she has read your list.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Kadiddle

I can't tell you enough how very much I appreciate all of the advice you all have given me. This has really got me depressed and I'm really a very happy, outgoing, fun-loving person. I just want to be "normal" again. But knowing that there is support out there and people who know what I'm feeling and can give me advice on how to cope, survive, and even overcome, means so much.
While my husband is so very helpful and supportive, I know he gets frustrated because he doesn't know what he can do to help.
Primary Sjogren's, Undifferentiated Spondyloarthropathy dxed 1994, Dry eyes with corneal erosions and ulcers, dry mouth, chronic constipation,
Meds/Supps: Meloxicam, Restasis, Evoxac, Omega 3 with Flaxseed Oil,  Multi-vitamins, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Probiotics