News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

Joints affected long term?

Started by knik, October 29, 2016, 06:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knik

Does Sjogren's deteriorate our joints? I have Sjogren's and Fibro.  I need a new knee I have been told to loose 75-100 pounds before they will do it!!!  How does one loose weight when they cannot move!?  I have a friend who also has SS and Fibro and she had total knee replacement.  She is sorry she did.  She said the pain is incredibly bad and she thinks worse because of the autoimmunes.  Now I am a bit scared to even think about replacement.  Will I start a loosing battle?
53 yr. old female with Sjogrens and Fibromyalgia. Overweight, need new knee, terrible pinched nerve in back needs surgery.  Lyrica, occasional prednisone tapers, (plaquenil did not work), meloxicam and supplements.

Tharrell

Hi knik. I don't think sjogren's specifically destroys bone/ cartilage like osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, but it can cause arthritic pain in your joints.
With joint replacement you have to realize everyone reacts differently. Having said that, I too am having severe difficulties with my total hip replacement on the right. I had surgery on August 31 and initially did very well. However at the two week mark post surgery I started developing pain. Doctor thinks I have micromovement of the stem of the implant. On top of that I'm beeing worked up for post surgical infection since I found a small amount of yellow pus draining from the scar that had already closed up.
So I don't know if the healing problems are from my meds or from mixed connective tissue disease or sjogren's.
MCTD, sjogren's,dRTA,CVID, sero neg. ra,achalasia,Morvan's syndrome,familial dysautonomia,POTS, MCI, IC. Occular neuromyotonia migraines,raynauds,B6,Florinef, propanolol,sodium bicarb, plaquenil,requip,B2,topiramate, synthroid,diazepam,trulance,enbrel,cevimeline,
arava,omeprazole, mexiletin

irish

I was going to say the same thing---as we have the arthritis pain and inflammation but not the destruction of the joint that is seen in RA.

I imagine the only way to lose the weight is to try and find some diets that will work. Have you thought of seeing a dietician who could give you some ideas on the calories, foods, etc. I know it is hard cause I have extra pounds that I don't need.

The knee supports so much weight and really takes the brunt of the stress when we sit down and rise up from sitting position plus up and down stairs and just general walking. The extra weight does make a difference. I know that I would sure need some help with weight loss if I needed the knee surgery. Wishing you luck. It is heck when we can't be as active as we would like. Irish

cccourt1942

weight has always been the culprit in unsuccessful knee replacement.  It's just a sad fact of the human body.
:(
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

SunshineDaydream

I don't know much about the knee replacement aspect, but maybe a physical therapist or personal trainer could help you come up with a manageable exercise plan. Depending on what you are doing now, you might still have to address the other issues of healthy eating and possibly reducing calories.
Sjogren's, lupus, OAB and osteopenia
Rx: Evoxac and Myrbetriq
Vitamins and Supplements: A, B complex, C, D3, E, calcium orotate, magnesium glycinate, D-Mannose, curcumin, fish oil, probiotic

Jenny

I lost 30 pounds without exercising  in the past 5 months by going to a weight loss clinic. They gave me lots of vitamins and an extended release appetite suppressant. It curbs your appetite but you still have to be vigilant about every bite that goes in your mouth. I was getting ready to schedule a knee replacement in my right knee which is bone on bone. My left knee was hurting almost as bad but isn't bone on bone. Since I lost the weight my right knee hurts about 50% less and my left rarely hurts at all. It isn't easy but it can be done.
65 year old female with back, shoulder, neck and knee pain, dry mouth, losing teeth, dry sinuses,Blood test positive for Sjogrens. Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis .
Maloxicam, Lisinopril, Norco, misc.vitamins
4 discs in low back fused. Shoulder replaced 2015 & 2017 Need knee replaced.
4 hand surgeries