News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

Cataract Surgery Issues

Started by StevenB, October 27, 2016, 03:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StevenB

Wow....I haven't logged on for quite some time.   
I wonder if anyone can relate to this.
I had cataract surgery on Oct 5 then the second eye on Oct 19.  I'm still having difficulty
from it and it feels like I have contacts in my eyes or sand.   I've never been able to
wear contacts of course but it feels as irritated as when I've tried them before Sjogrens diagnosis.
My eyes are red and always looks like I've been crying.   I'm using the clear drops every hour along with
the usual  prescribed drops.
My eye doctors said because of the dryness I have abrasions and spoke a little about tear duct plugs.
I started using an ointment at night but I don't think that is helping.
I  just wonder if anyone has had a similar experience and also is tear duct plugs something
I want to avoid.  It sounds uncomfortable,

ohiolady

I have tear duct plugs.  NO big deal at all to insert them if you have a good opthamologist.  I, also, use Restasis, which has been very helpful.  Do you use warm compresses?   This helps as well.  I use Thera tears during the day and have stuck with these drops for ten years.  I use the preservative free vials.  I use Genteel gel at night.  All of this has helped me to be quite comfortable now.

Anna
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

Tharrell

Hi Steven, I too had lower tearduct plugs put in. They numb the are before they insert them and it was no biggie. My opthalmologist that runs the sjogren's clinic for Baylor told me to take primrose oil capsules daily, warm compresses. He also put me on antibiotic eyedrops for the meiobian gland disease. The glands make the lubrication you need. When I put in the antibiotic eyedrops he told me to massage them into the eyelash line as well where the meiobian glands are. He also changed me to the brand new eyedrops Xiidra, but I can't give a report on that since I am bad about using it! I have to do better!
MCTD, sjogren's,dRTA,CVID, sero neg. ra,achalasia,Morvan's syndrome,familial dysautonomia,POTS, MCI, IC. Occular neuromyotonia migraines,raynauds,B6,Florinef, propanolol,sodium bicarb, plaquenil,requip,B2,topiramate, synthroid,diazepam,trulance,enbrel,cevimeline,
arava,omeprazole, mexiletin

StevenB

#3
I do use the preservative free drops about every hour.
I have a constant pile of used up plastic voles
Sitting by in in a little dish.   
I'm glad to hear that the plugs aren't a big deal.  Thank you

irish

Just to let you know that eye drops with preservatives are more irritating for the eyes. Have you gone back to the doctor with your complaints?? I would think that he would have more suggestions regarding eye drops to use. Sometimes prednisone eye drops are done to decrease the inflammation in the eyes. However, when a person has had eye surgery I don't know if it is possible to use them.

Restasis really helps the eyes but some people don't do as well as others. Before starting these drops the eye doc usually orders prednisone eye drops for a week or so and then start the Restasis. Store the Restasis in the refrigerator as the cool drops feel good on the eyes and don't burn as much. The burning is usually from the dryness and the restasis helps to reduce the swelling in the tubes in the eyes and the glands so that more tears are produced.

If you aren't on the Restasis and are interested do a search on this site and you should find a ton of threads on this eye drop. Good luck. Irish
 

SjoGirl

Been there even before the surgery, plugs have been a huge blessing as had Restasis.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

jazzlover

The plugs are wonderful! I have one permanent one (well, long term) and one that lasts only 6 months. When its time is up, I get the more perm one put in.

Now you have me worried about cataract surgery. I will need it within the next year or two.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, mycoplasma,  recovered from Lyme disease