News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

eyelid surgery

Started by Sooki, October 25, 2016, 01:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sooki

My poor skin has been sagging at an increasing rate over the last 4 years. My eyebrows have now sagged down, pushing my eyelids over my eyes.  I always consciously raise my eyebrows when I'm with other people so I don't look sad, tired, and discouraged

Yesteryday I went to an oculoplastic surgeon.  I was very impressed by him.  I had a visual field test with a relaxed face and then one with my eyelids taped up. (It was pretty painful with my dry eyes.)  The difference in my vision was amazing. 

He said I had a medical necessity for having upper eyelid surgery and that Medicare would pay for it. (The hospital is trying to find out what the copay would be after Medicare pays its share.) 

He said the sagging would just keep increasing with time.  He also said my lower lid was pouching open which is making the dryness worse (I already knew that and wear a blindfold while sleeping).  He said he could make a small cut in the outer corner of the lower lid and sew it back tighter so it would close better.

And for an extra amount, if I wanted, he could take out the fat deposits in the (big) bags under my eyes and place them in the hollows under the bags, evening it all out.  When I said it sounded like being a clay sculptor, he said no, it was more like being a quilter (I like the sculptor image better!).

We talked a long time about the impact on dryness of the eyes.  He said tightening the lower lids will give me some relief.  And he would be conservative on the upper eyelid so that it would have no problem closing completely. 

But there is still a chance that the upper surgery could impact the dryness negatively.  He assured me no lasers would be used.  But any time the eyelid surfaces are disrupted, there could be some change in moisture production.  He said it was uncommon for that to happen. But it could.

I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with blepharoplasty and how it turned out for them.
68 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy, ocular rosacea
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid, Atorvastatin, Xiidra, doxycycline, D3, biotin, B12, ALA, DHEA, Ubiquinol, CPAP, D-mannose, Paleo AIP, fish oil, Cliradex wipes

Sharon

I've heard of others who have had this procedure and were very satisfied with the results.
I never heard them complain of dryness as a result, but then again, these people never had SJS.
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

cccourt1942

But---I did.  Wasn't dxed--pretty sure I was positive tho.  Mid 50s.  My FOV (field of vision) was severe in right eye. For insurance purposes they don't require both eyes to be severe to pay for both eyes!! I'd been using my OTC Drops daily for over 10 rears. I know if this was unbearable I'd remember.  They required I spend one night in hospital as eyes stayed bandaged until next morn.  You look like you've been in a boxing match. I was fine post surgery.  I worked full time at the time too
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

Sooki

Thanks, Sharon and cccourt! And you were happy with the results?

They told me to plan on 3 days in a chair with ice packs and head elevated while asleep.  Then no bending over, lifting heavy things, exertion, anything that would bring blood to my head for 10 days.  They said I could work at the computer after the first 3 days.

One odd thing - no blood thinners before and that included fish oil!  I didn't know that was considered a blood thinner.

It's scary to elect this kind of surgery.  But I think it will make a big difference!  I have it planned for early Jan after the holidays (heavy work schedule through Nov.)
68 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy, ocular rosacea
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid, Atorvastatin, Xiidra, doxycycline, D3, biotin, B12, ALA, DHEA, Ubiquinol, CPAP, D-mannose, Paleo AIP, fish oil, Cliradex wipes

Sharon

Interesting, didn't know either that fish oil is considered a blood thinner!
I think all surgery is a bit frightening, but try to focus on the positive results
you're looking forwards to.
Sounds like you found a good surgeon too, which is most important!
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

cccourt1942

No...after the fact it looked bad....but that was about it.  I had already had an NSAID ulcer...so if I took any pain med it would have been OTC Tylenol.  I don't remember icing them...but I may have.  The bruising was pretty bad.  I was off for a week..and ready to go back to work after 3 or 4 days.  I put makeup on the day before I went back to work..and the make up covered the yellowish the bruises had become.  I remember this as my boss called me to her office that day.  I went in, she stood up..closed the door behind me...and turned right at my face and asked me if I'd had my  eyes done.  I had told my friends...I thought it was funny.  she wanted it done.  lol  Anyway..she couldn't see anything..so we walked outside...I mean I hadn't kept it a secret...and then I wiped some of my make up off.  She still couldn't see anything noticeable.  As said...how I recall it vividly.

And bring blood to your head?  I don't even understand that.  They don't want you standing on your head or doing touching toes exercises?   I do recall I went to a movie after a few days...drove myself.  Wore big sunglasses in case I saw someone....and I didn't put any make up on.  Back then I wore billed caps a lot.  So probably wore that too.  But it wasn't a big deal..at least to me.  I remember the movie as my friends said they couldn't believe I drove. 

I may have had a very casual plastic surgeon.  I did make my own choice for an anesthesiologist.  I didn't want to be over anesthetized.  I had learned that when I had breast reduction about 1/2 dozen years earlier.  (A brutal surgery btw).
c3
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

Sooki

Thanks, cccourt.  I often overthink things.  But I do tend to have good luck in healing, so I hope mine will be more like yours!
68 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy, ocular rosacea
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid, Atorvastatin, Xiidra, doxycycline, D3, biotin, B12, ALA, DHEA, Ubiquinol, CPAP, D-mannose, Paleo AIP, fish oil, Cliradex wipes

ohiolady

#7
Sooki,

I thought about this for four years and consulted three doctors.  I finally had my uppers done by an occuloplastic surgeon.  The surgery is a piece of cake.  I only took two doses of tyelenol and really don't think I needed the second.  You do have to be diligent in icing.  I have very dry eyes with a schirmer score of 0 and 2.  My eyes are less dry after the surgery.  My doctor was conservative and knew I was really afraid of having drier eyes.

This, of course, is my experience.  Good luck.  I was so happy with results.

Anna

PS  I had mine done in office under local.  They did give me a Valium one hour before surgery.
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

Sooki

#8
Thank you, Anna.  I'm feeling better and better about this.  The doc said I would have general anesthesia mainly because of the length of the operation, having uppers and lowers done.
68 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy, ocular rosacea
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid, Atorvastatin, Xiidra, doxycycline, D3, biotin, B12, ALA, DHEA, Ubiquinol, CPAP, D-mannose, Paleo AIP, fish oil, Cliradex wipes