News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Winter - or at least cooler / drier weather - and symptom management

Started by Pete0211, October 25, 2016, 07:38:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete0211

I have noticed that the cooler and drier air when running here in NC and in PA a week ago were not very good on my throat and sinuses, so I'll have to reduce my outdoor exertion and/or find an aerobic routine indoors.

I realize there have been some similar threads in the past in general, but I'd like to pose it from a symptom management perspective. I also realize everyone is different, but I'd like to hear how folks manage their dryness and other issues during the winter season.

I rarely use my heater (I usually set the thermostat at 59), and just bundle up in the winter, and use humidifiers throughout the house. With the funky feel of cold air in my sinuses that I've had when outside in the cooler temps, I'm thinking I may need to bump up the thermostat to the mid-upper 60s, and will experiment as indoor temps get cooler.

What do you do differently in the winter? Thanks for your input!

Pete
Male 49 y/o; Undergoing Primary SJS diagnosis process; Cevimeline, Ubiquinol, Restasis

cccourt1942

What you said Pete + my go to relief...ORAL that is....is Biotene Gel in place of water at night. I will use it during the day as well if I begin to clear my throat excessively.  I am in TX so I wear sunglasses outdoors at all times. 

I take pilocarpine 3 times a day and restasis twice daily.
Best to you,
c3
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

Judie P

Hi Pete.  I am in California and so winters are better for me.  The temperature goes no lower than 50 degrees during the day or no lower than 40s at night.  It rains during the winter.  My sinus problems are during June through October here.  It does not rain during those months and the temperature can go up into the 100s.  I use Ayr nasal spray constantly and Ayr nasal gel when I go to bed.  I am also learning to use a netti pot because it helps moisten the nose and keeps the germs away during the dry periods.  It started to rain last week and my dryness was less.
Primary SJS, SS-A >8, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, asthma, Effexor, Vitamin D 1,000mg, magnesium, Motrin, Ayr Nasal Gel, Ayr nasal mist, Optique 1 eye drops

Pete0211

C3, thanks. I'm taking pilocarpine 4xday right now (well, usually. If I don't wake up around the dosing time at night I skip it, but that's maybe once or twice a week). I do use gels or xylimelts when the mouth/throat get bed, mostly at night. The nose bugs me the most - a couple of nights, the colder air woke me up and was irritating (just tossed the sheet over my face, but that bugs me on different level!).

Judie, thanks for your reply. Luckily here on the NC coast I get rain / humidty often (morning runs in the fog are wonderful!). I use a saline spray also, and was rinsing my sinuses, but I think I was doing it too much and was told to stop by my primary care doc (it was making me feel more congested like a rebound effect). I think I might try it again before bed. Ayr gel has some sort of oil in it. I've also used the nasal gel from neilmed once in a while - it might be time to start that up again too.

Male 49 y/o; Undergoing Primary SJS diagnosis process; Cevimeline, Ubiquinol, Restasis

SjoGirl

I use saline spray for my nose mostly before bed, but also first thing in the a.m.

I drink, drink, drink all day long and have found that doing so has also lessened the aches and pains (that or it's the antibiotic that I am on).

You already mentioned humidifiers. I would think that the cold temps might make the air as dry as having the heat on and I would be shivering at 59 degrees, but as you say, we're all different.

I do take a pretty warm, long shower in the mornings which helps.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

SjoDry

I haven't tried it yet..but my Alternative Medicine Doc just suggested putting a little coconut oil inside the nostrils to help with dryness at night.

SjoDry

Pete0211

Quote from: SjoGirl on October 26, 2016, 04:36:42 PM
... and I would be shivering at 59 degrees, but as you say, we're all different.

I do take a pretty warm, long shower in the mornings which helps.

Heh - I sleep warm, so I will actually use a comforter when it's that cold, and I am good (well, was good until this stuff started) for the night. First thing in the morning I jump into warm, soft sweats for the day (I'm lucky enough to work at home).

Thanks for your input :)
Male 49 y/o; Undergoing Primary SJS diagnosis process; Cevimeline, Ubiquinol, Restasis

Pete0211

Quote from: SjoDry on October 26, 2016, 05:01:07 PM
I haven't tried it yet..but my Alternative Medicine Doc just suggested putting a little coconut oil inside the nostrils to help with dryness at night.

SjoDry

I'm hesitant to put oils in the nose (at this point at least) due to the possibility of lipoid pneumonia. Thanks for responding :)
Male 49 y/o; Undergoing Primary SJS diagnosis process; Cevimeline, Ubiquinol, Restasis