News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Pain and tenderness at the base of the skull

Started by DeadGirl75, October 24, 2016, 10:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeadGirl75

This weekend I have been fighting a migraine and during and after the area at the base of my skull is very tender. I also have two bumps on each side that are tender. I have noticed these bumps seem to get bigger during these events. Does anyone know what this is? I've also had the pain and tenderness without a migraine, so I don't think those two are interconnected.

Thanks!
~Shelly

Don't look to the past, there's nothing new there for you.

Navigator

The trigemial nerve goes low on the skull near the two bony bumps at the base of the skull.  That nerve can get irritated.  It can result in a burning pain across the back of the skull.

Otherwise don?t know.
Hashimotos thyroiditis, Primary SJS, IBS, autoimmune hearing loss, leucopenia, arthritis,asthma.
Synthroid, Plaquenil, Crestor, Evoxac,Vit D , Fish Oil, Restasis, Daily Walking, Sleep, Baby aspirin, Probiotic, avoid gluten,dairy and sugar, hearing aide, gratitude, big dog

cccourt1942

Hi...wc,
    You know it's interesting you identify this as migraine.  I had sinus headaches for years (horrendous) before I actually began to have migraines.  Now I'm wondering if those years of what I tht of as sinus ones were really  migraine. 

     With the sinus headaches I could do two "thumb placements" on my head and apply pressure.  1) under my cheekbones and pushed up.  Temporary but welcome relief, 2) push  up on those spots you described.  Again...blessed relief.  Once the full blown migraines hit (came with menopause) it was a couple of days in bed or eventually dx and meds to stop them.  Wonderful meds.  Because they hit me during menopause, they miraculously disappear when the ovaries are "gone."  I could not believe it.  They disappeared as they had appeared: suddenly.

Good luck..and see your doc.  Meds for migraines are true miracles of medicine.
Sjoldier c3
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

DeadGirl75

Quote from: cccourt1942 on October 24, 2016, 03:23:56 PM
Hi...wc,
    You know it's interesting you identify this as migraine.  I had sinus headaches for years (horrendous) before I actually began to have migraines.  Now I'm wondering if those years of what I tht of as sinus ones were really  migraine. 

     With the sinus headaches I could do two "thumb placements" on my head and apply pressure.  1) under my cheekbones and pushed up.  Temporary but welcome relief, 2) push  up on those spots you described.  Again...blessed relief.  Once the full blown migraines hit (came with menopause) it was a couple of days in bed or eventually dx and meds to stop them.  Wonderful meds.  Because they hit me during menopause, they miraculously disappear when the ovaries are "gone."  I could not believe it.  They disappeared as they had appeared: suddenly.

Good luck..and see your doc.  Meds for migraines are true miracles of medicine.
Sjoldier c3

Thank you.

I do have sinus issues but I don't have sinus pressure or pain in the normal areas that I get when they act up. I get ocular migraines or my eyes feel sore before a migraine. When I roll up a towel and put it at the base of my skull, it feels like my head is fuzzy, but a good fuzzy. If that makes sense. Shortly after, my body will feel twitchy. For example, my arm will jerk or it will be a full body jerk, kinda like you're falling in a dream but jerk awake. My legs are the same. It's really a strange feeling to not be in control of my body. I can feel when it's going to happen.

I FINALLY see my Rheumatologist in two weeks time.
~Shelly

Don't look to the past, there's nothing new there for you.

Tharrell

Hey Deadgirl, you may want to try to put two tennis balls in a sock and tie it in a knot really tight and use that for more localized pressure. It really helps me out. I have a painful stiff neck since last december that won't go away despite muscle relaxers and trigger point shots. Well, the shots helped for a time, but I'm looking for a permanent solution. My kneck gives me bad migraines sometimes. I use the tennis balls in the sock on my shoulders as well by just leaning against them on a wall or door.
Are you going to get a neurologist appointment for the fasciculations and jerks?
MCTD, sjogren's,dRTA,CVID, sero neg. ra,achalasia,Morvan's syndrome,familial dysautonomia,POTS, MCI, IC. Occular neuromyotonia migraines,raynauds,B6,Florinef, propanolol,sodium bicarb, plaquenil,requip,B2,topiramate, synthroid,diazepam,trulance,enbrel,cevimeline,
arava,omeprazole, mexiletin

DeadGirl75

Quote from: Tharrell on October 25, 2016, 03:36:23 PM
Hey Deadgirl, you may want to try to put two tennis balls in a sock and tie it in a knot really tight and use that for more localized pressure. It really helps me out. I have a painful stiff neck since last december that won't go away despite muscle relaxers and trigger point shots. Well, the shots helped for a time, but I'm looking for a permanent solution. My kneck gives me bad migraines sometimes. I use the tennis balls in the sock on my shoulders as well by just leaning against them on a wall or door.
Are you going to get a neurologist appointment for the fasciculations and jerks?

I'll have to give that a shot. I'm sure I can find some tennis balls around here. As for the neurologist, I really didn't think about it. Would the rheumatologist recommend that? Or would I have to talk to my family doctor? I'm rather new to all this, so I'm not exactly sure what paths to take.
~Shelly

Don't look to the past, there's nothing new there for you.