News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

Quercetin: an immunosuppressant?

Started by Sharon, October 20, 2016, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharon

I've read many contradicting things on Quercetin's effect on the immune system,
but from this article it seems it would benefit us to take this supplement:

http://www.jimmunol.org/content/184/12/6815.full.pdf

What do you all think?
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

Nymph

I take this for my allergies and mast cell issues. It is a mast cell stabilizer. It is most effective if you mix it with a little oil before taking. It makes sense that it could help with autoimmunity, too, but I am not sure that it has been studied for that. It makes a big difference for my allergies.
38 y.o. teacher; anti-CCP+, RF+, otherwise seronegative; POTS; Plaquenil, Allegra, Depakote, Neurolink, C, probiotic, multi-V, magnesium, quercetin, NAC, DHEA, fish oil, D3, turmeric, ubiquinol; <3 my neti pot

Sharon

#2
This was the only study I found on its effect on autoimmunity.
Seems the pathways it affects most are the one's responsible for RA (Th1 pathways).
I too have been taking it for mast cell issues (with Omega 3 for oil),
but it hasn't been helping much with the allergies.
What dosage and brand do you take Nymph?
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

Nymph

38 y.o. teacher; anti-CCP+, RF+, otherwise seronegative; POTS; Plaquenil, Allegra, Depakote, Neurolink, C, probiotic, multi-V, magnesium, quercetin, NAC, DHEA, fish oil, D3, turmeric, ubiquinol; <3 my neti pot

Nymph

I guess it's good for me that it affects RA pathways because I am seropositve for RA and want to do everything possible to prevent its clinical manifestation. So far so good.

Sorry it's not helping your allergies.
38 y.o. teacher; anti-CCP+, RF+, otherwise seronegative; POTS; Plaquenil, Allegra, Depakote, Neurolink, C, probiotic, multi-V, magnesium, quercetin, NAC, DHEA, fish oil, D3, turmeric, ubiquinol; <3 my neti pot

Sharon

Nymph- Thanks, maybe I should try your brand. You only take 1 capsule a day?
I've been taking the NOW brand combo which includes Bromelain.
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

Nymph

I usually take 1 55 mg capsule a day dissolved in oil. Unless my allergies worsen or I am exposed to extra allergens. Then I take two. I would guess that's highly individual for mast cells depending on the strength of your reactions as to how much you need to stop them.
38 y.o. teacher; anti-CCP+, RF+, otherwise seronegative; POTS; Plaquenil, Allegra, Depakote, Neurolink, C, probiotic, multi-V, magnesium, quercetin, NAC, DHEA, fish oil, D3, turmeric, ubiquinol; <3 my neti pot

Sharon

Thanks Nymph, I see you're also taking DHEA.
May I ask what it helps you with?
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

Nymph

DHEA helps my eye dryness. I depend on it and NAC for dryness issues. I could not make it without my supplements. They add so much to my QOL.

DHEA
NAC
fish oil
magnesium
quercetin
turmeric
ubiquinol
Vit D, C, K
probiotics
Neurolink
SentraPM
salt pills
licorice

I guess I have updated my siggy for awhile. Each one of these has proved a vital part of what it takes to keep me up and running on a daily basis as a teacher, along with my mainstay plaquenil. It is utterly mind-boggling that I absolutely depend on this many helpers at age 37. At some point I have tried to cut each of them out but they have proven themselves non-negotiable.
38 y.o. teacher; anti-CCP+, RF+, otherwise seronegative; POTS; Plaquenil, Allegra, Depakote, Neurolink, C, probiotic, multi-V, magnesium, quercetin, NAC, DHEA, fish oil, D3, turmeric, ubiquinol; <3 my neti pot

Sharon

I'm also on many of the supplements you mentioned,
but NAC upset my stomach way too much so I had to quit it.

Was your DHEA low before you began supplementing with it?
How much do you take?

How do the salt pills help?

I know what you about being dependant on all these supplements at our age...
Truly unbelievable that these are our lives...
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

Nymph

Yes, my DHEA was low. I take sublingual drops 1.5 mg a day.

Salt helps my POTS. Otherwise I would not take it because it's bad for autoimmunity. Ha.   ::)

38 y.o. teacher; anti-CCP+, RF+, otherwise seronegative; POTS; Plaquenil, Allegra, Depakote, Neurolink, C, probiotic, multi-V, magnesium, quercetin, NAC, DHEA, fish oil, D3, turmeric, ubiquinol; <3 my neti pot

Sharon

My DHEA came back in the normal range in the blood tests I took,
but I still wonder if raising it would help.
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....