News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

Trazodone

Started by Sharon, October 19, 2016, 03:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharon

I was researching alternatives for sleeping pills and came across Trazodone
which is normally used as an antidepressant but seems to possess
protective anti-inflammatory qualities:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25911310

Could this possibly be of aid in our inflammatory situation?
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

Kathy57

Sharon,

I was put on Trazadone and had a really bad outcome.  I couldn't sleep on it at all, but it made me groggy and totally out of it the next day.

   I was excited to try it because I had heard really good things about it.  Just didn't work for me and actually made things worse.  I've heard lots of good things about it.  I tried it for a couple of weeks but swore I would never try it again. 

It may just be me.

Kathy
66 yr old female - Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations, Chronic Bronchitis, Asthma, albuterol, Breztri,  Osteoporosis,

Sharon

Sorry to hear that Kathy, I've never been able to tolerate anti-Ds either, but I was hoping to try this to reap the anti-inflammatory benefits.
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

Kathy57

Well, Sharon,

It may be a wonderful drug for you.  I am a nurse and years ago I worked for a couple of years in Mental Health.  Trazadone helped quite a few of my patients and it had the added benefit of helping them sleep.

The drug seemed to have a very positive track record, so I was excited to see if it might help me.  Unfortunately not.😞  But that does not mean it will not work for you.  It wouldn't hurt to give it a whirl.  You may have much better luck😃

Kathy
66 yr old female - Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations, Chronic Bronchitis, Asthma, albuterol, Breztri,  Osteoporosis,

irish

Years ago when I was working as a nurse we used Trazedone for depression. It had just come out and was listed as antidepressant. Some years later it was being used for sleep and many people were taking it. I was working in long term care at this time and when we tried to taper off the trazedone the patients had great trouble. We never did get some of them off the drug. They just couldn't tolerate being without it. It was like having side effects when on a drug only taking the trazedone stopped these symptoms.

I have had a red flag in my brain since then. Could have been just a fluke but there were so many patients that it made me leary. I tried it myself as an antidepressant and my heart rate dropped down to 43 and I had to stay up all night and make sure my heart rate stayed up. I never took it again. I was scared to death my heart was going to stop. Low heart rates run in my dads side of the family and that might have been part of it. Who knows. We all have to do what we feel is right. Just wanted to mention this so that others would at least be aware of it. Thanks Irish

Sharon

That's good to know Irish, I actually read that it is not an addictive drug,
unlike many sleeping pills, so go figure...
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

deniselb

I took it for many years to sleep without any problems. Stopped because I didn't need it anymore.

Sharon

denise- Did you notice the Trazodone helping you with inflammation?
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

cccourt1942

I've noticed no one has answered your direct query.  I was given this med in Aug of 15.  (I looked this up; do NOT have photographic memory .  :) )  Anyway, what I was really looking up was to see what LDP dosage I was taking in August of that year.  And bingo, it was 5mg per day.  So I can't say if the trazadone helped.  The other reason I might suggest no one has answered is the drug either works or doesn't.  So if it doesn't (like me) you stop taking it.  If it does work, it's given for something other than decreasing inflammation.  Most of us are on various drugs, unlike you, we can't answer easily.  You may be the test case since you don't have a bunch of stuff in your system.  Then, when someone asks in the future, you will be the source to answer.  :)
Good luck Sharon.  I know you have spent a great deal of time on all this. 
Sjoldier c3
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

Sharon

Thanks C3, I believe you are correct on many accounts!
I'm also wondering if the particular inflammation it treats would be helpful for SJS issues.
My trials on meds are typically very short as I can't tolerate most.
If I end up tolerating this one I'll try to report back on it. 
Yes, it's all very time consuming.
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

jazzlover

I took it for years ... and never once did my cardiologist say it might be an issue. I have had A-fib for 8 yrs and was taking traz before and during this time.

FINALLY, I was sent to a pulmonologist by my CARDIO and the pulmonary DR had a fit! He said it is NOTORIOUS for causing heart problems and that he had seen many many cases!!! I got off the %$#% drug as quickly as I could... and it took months to reduce it without sending me into a tailspin.

You cannot just "stop" the drug .. you MUST taper. Trust me.

If you take it, take a LOW dosage and if anything goes wrong with your heart, LISTEN to your body and get off of it!

I've been without an anti-dep for 3 years now and I'm fine. I mostly took it so I could sleep....but all in all, I wish I had never taken it. I went to the ER at least 3-4 times over the years and it cost me a mint in more ways than one.

rant over
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, mycoplasma,  recovered from Lyme disease

deniselb

Sharon - I wouldn't have been able to tell. I was taking it all through the period that my symptoms were first developing, and stopped around the same time that I was diagnosed and started on Plaquenil.

Sharon

Thanks for your stories girls,
sad to hear your experience Jazz- sounds awful!
I guess no med is truly "safe".
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....