News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

Dose anyone have an experience with smoking medical marijuana and sjogren?

Started by Rgs, October 18, 2016, 10:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rgs

Hi
I'm have a recycling flare for more then a year now,  im smoking medical marijuana for the last year.
Is it possible that this long lasting flare is from the smoking?  (The cigarette is mix with regular tobacco)
Thanks

Pete0211

From my experimentation days, I couldn't imagine smoking marijuana and the dry mouth associated with it, on top of the dry mouth/throat symptoms I have already.

There does seem to be research that shows cannabinoids reduce inflammation, in particular this:

Now researchers say that another cannabinoid, called beta-caryophyllene, or (E)-BCP, helps combat inflammation without affecting the brain.

(E)-BCP is already part of many people's daily diets, the researchers note. Foods that are particularly high in the compound include black pepper, oregano, basil, lime, cinnamon, carrots, and celery.


(Source: National Geographic, http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/06/080624-marijuana.html)
Male 49 y/o; Undergoing Primary SJS diagnosis process; Cevimeline, Ubiquinol, Restasis

trejonina

Hi, google: does medical marijuana have fungus in it?  read the articles by smithsonianmag.com  and narconon.org  and others . Sjoggies have compromised immune systems, marijuana is not a good idea for us, unless we are dying from lymphoma or other terminal disease and then mj   bad side effects don't matter, people want the pain/other relief it's supposed to give.

Carebear

I haven't used it.  But I recently spoke with my rheumatologist about its possible application in treating pain associated with Sjogren's.  It was surprisingly a great discussion.

He explained that there have not been any good studies done yet for him to feel comfortable in recommending it for me. But that a lot of research money has been made available in the last couple of years, so he should be about to provide me with an opinion based on science by this time next year.  Or maybe a year after that.

My choice would be to drink it as a tea or possibly consume it in some kind of baked item.  Smoke of any type would make my respiratory system dry right up so this would not be an option for me.

Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

Kathy57

Unfortunately I have no experience with this but my best friend and I had a running joke when we visited Jamaica.  The joke was that we would visit an "unlicensed pharmacist",  if you know what I mean.
Unfortunately we were all talk and no action. 

I will say that when I was losing weight and could hardly chew and swallow my food - it may have helped.  Who knows?  I think if it makes your life more bearable with symptoms then have at it!!❤️

Kathy
66 yr old female - Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations, Chronic Bronchitis, Asthma, albuterol, Breztri,  Osteoporosis,

Sharon

Looks like it may be very helpful, but I wouldn't smoke it with SJS, maybe take the oil.

Quoted from https://www.cannabisscience.com/index.php/research-development/critical-ailments/384-autoimmune-disease:

"In a study called "Direct Suppression of Autoreactive Lymphocytes in the Central Nervous System Via the CB2 Receptor" by BloodCenter of Wisconsin at the Blood Research Institute, it was found that "The cannabinoid system is now recognized as a regulator of both the nervous and immune systems [?] The best-studied plant cannabinoid, 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), produced by Cannabis sativa and found in marijuana, has shown evidence of being immunosuppressive in both in vivo and in vitro." Therefore, cannabis has an immunosuppressive quality, very beneficial for those who suffer from autoimmune diseases."

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000816.htm
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

Joe S.

I had some in a blue berry cobbler. It lowered my blood pressure, and eased the pain in my bad eye. I went 16 hours with out pain. I had several days of lower blood pressure and reduced pain. I would not smoke it as smoking dries out your mouth and throat.

I am trying to get my MD to give me a script for it. She had asked about it some time ago and I told her only if it is legal. I she does not I may have to move to where I can get it or be a snow bird where I can get it part of the year.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

grammad97

Hello fellow sjoggies,
I have not been on the forum for a bit due to a plethora of reasons but I did see this post and had to respond.
My husband and I had to move this year because he lost his job right before Christmas and we couldn't meet our financial obligations on unemployment and my disability.
Anyway we stayed within the same state.
Unfortunately I had to change my health insurance ( Medicare advantage). I got new insurance however I still do not have a local doctor. We have two clinics in the area and although they have huge signs "accepting new patients" one clinic refused me service (based on my medications) and the other clinic says I am in the pile and should hear soon.( It's been 4 months)
Anyway I started running out of my RX a d my former doctor was sympathetic but couldn't help me as I was no longer with her plan. I weaned off all of my medications and monitored my health as best I could.
My pain RX was a Butrans Patch. I asked my pharmacy how best to titrate off it and was told I would end up in the hospital with withdrawal.
I was scared but I cut the last four patches I had in half and then quarter to start the titration.
I live in a legal marijuana state so I went to a dispensary and asked questions and was quite surprised by the scientific process involving different strains of pot.
I purchased a very high CDB count for my pain /inflammation. I have to say I as well as my family have been amazed by the results.
I have almost no pain, I have none of the digestive issues I had before, my mood is improved by my feeling better and my wallet is fatter because it's cheaper than all of my prescriptions. I only take my vitamin supplements and a low dose blood pressure RX which I have refills until 2/17.
Still no doctor but I can't wait to get my lab work done to see what my autoimmune markers are.
I am considering getting a medical marijuana card too as it will save me even more money.
I would be the last person anyone would expect to use marijuana but I have to say now I am an advocate for it.
My two cents story.
Gramma D
Primary sjogrens, UCTD; osteoarthritis;osteopenia; HBP ;fibromyalgia;RX-plaquenil, butrans 20mcg patch ;flexaril;hydrocodone5/325;restasis, omega3, vit D, super B complex;s ;gluten free;lisinopril;moderate hearing loss

Sharon

Sounds great GrammaD!
What exactly is a "CDB count"?
What digestive issues did it help with?
At this point I'm willing to move to another country for the right med.
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....

StevenB

I've tried it and you don't know what dry mouth is until you've had dry mouth from weed.  It left me with absolutely no moisture
in my mouth at all and it was actually a little scary trying to get some wetness going on.   But,  everyone is different I suppose.

grammad97

Sharon-
CDB- is the part of the plant that does not produce the high of THC which is what those who want the "high" experience want. So CDB is non psychoactive.
There are a lot of medical properties to the CDB portion- reduces nausea, suppresses seizure activities,anti- inflammatory, antioxidant, anti depressant and combats cancer cells.
My joint pain and inflammation is almost gone, my nausea and motion sickness is gone, I sleep better, and feel better than I have in years.
I started using the flower portion of a strain called AC/DC which has the highest amount of CDB in it. I used in in a "vape" device. No smoke, no smell or anything. My husband doesn't even smell it if I am in same room.
Now I know there are CDB oil capsules a person can take, there are oils or rubs to put on skin for pain or like my sister tried over a weekend and her psoriasis on her hand was gone.
I also know a lady who has ovarian cancer and it is helping her .
Also just CDB by itself will not cause a person to "fail" a drug screen.
I have been using it since July and I no longer need any of my prescriptions except for my blood pressure medication which is awesome plus considering I still haven't gotten a physician so I had to wean off my other prescriptions.
Added bonus- I am saving money.
CDB oil capsules are legal even in non marijuana friendly states.
As I said before had I not tried it on a whim I would not have even had it on my mind to try. My sister was mortified until she used the oil on her psoriasis and it went away..now she is using it also.
You can order the capsules or balm online from a manufacturer in Nevada.
I think big pharmaceutical companies have suppressed the benefits because it will cost them $$.
Primary sjogrens, UCTD; osteoarthritis;osteopenia; HBP ;fibromyalgia;RX-plaquenil, butrans 20mcg patch ;flexaril;hydrocodone5/325;restasis, omega3, vit D, super B complex;s ;gluten free;lisinopril;moderate hearing loss