News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

AirCOnditioning

Started by Navigator, October 17, 2016, 04:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Navigator

Hi

I have never seen this topic on here before.  For awhile my sinuses and chest tighten up at night when I go to bed.  I am fine all day.  It is uncanny.  I live in Florida and turn the AC down to get the room cooler ....so I can sleep better. (I have insomnia problems off and on)....anyway I slept in a different room the last two nights and my airways were just fine.

I suspect the AC.  How does one ?clean up? the AC???   Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do to fix it?  Is changing the filters enough???? 
Hashimotos thyroiditis, Primary SJS, IBS, autoimmune hearing loss, leucopenia, arthritis,asthma.
Synthroid, Plaquenil, Crestor, Evoxac,Vit D , Fish Oil, Restasis, Daily Walking, Sleep, Baby aspirin, Probiotic, avoid gluten,dairy and sugar, hearing aide, gratitude, big dog

irish

 
The humidty level and pollen dispersion can change in the evening. This can increase the humidity and pollen in the house. But, the fact that you lower the temperature of the thermostat means that the AC will run more often. The more the AC kicks in the more humidity is taken out of the air. With the removal of moisture from the air the more apt one is to have problems with dryness. Also, the more the AC runs the fan runs and send out more cold air which is irritating to the tissues in the sinuses and airways.

You may have to sleep in the other bedroom or else keep the AC same temperature round the clock. Just keep working with it til you figure out a comfortable temp. I can't help but think it is the increase in the AC running as I have trouble with the air blown around from AC. Staying in motels almost kills me with the AC. Irish





Pete0211

I'd certainly ensure to change the filters on a regular basis. You should check your AC and blower specs to use as high filtering rating as supported by your system (my system can support MERV 13, an I use MERV 12 filters). I wouldn't worry much about cleaning ac ducts as long as you use good filters and change them often.

Cleaning ac ducting can cause more problems than it may fix, but you should have the whole system inspected and the AC / blower units serviced every year ( to clean the coils, air paths, and have other items inspected to ensure proper functionality).

I'd suspect you have a similar problem to me here in NC - dropping the temperatures for good sleeping causes the AC to run for a long time, and that drys the air (I'll see humidity levels in my bedroom in the low-mid 40s without a humidifier). I've started using my humidifier during the summer now, and I try to keep the house at a lower temperature during the day to help reduce run times at night. As hot as it was this summer, that just didn't help too much, but the humidifier certainly does.

Depending on your home layout and AC design, you might also have a problem like I do with a single zone (one thermostat in a hallway), and one air return for the 1st floor (where my bedrooms are). So I have a layout of |air return ---open bedroom door---closed bedroom door---thermostat---closed bathroom door---closed main bedroom door |. The thermostat has no appreciable airflow between the rooms and the air return, so the temperature at the thermostat tends to be several degrees off from the temperature in my bedroom.

At night, I may have the thermostat set at 70 degrees. My bedroom temperatures can be as low as 68 degrees, but the temperature at the thermostat (especially on those hot nights), may never get to 70. The AC runs all night and drains moisture from the air.

As Irish says, the best possibility might be to find a sweet spot to set the thermostat all day to offset this type of issue, or a solution could be to open some doors to ensure good airflow past the thermostat (as in my case, but I'm stuck right now as I don't want the cat getting into those closed rooms).

Good luck!
Male 49 y/o; Undergoing Primary SJS diagnosis process; Cevimeline, Ubiquinol, Restasis

Navigator

Thanks for the replies. I will get my AC guy in here to check the filters etc...and give all of your suggestions a try.
Hashimotos thyroiditis, Primary SJS, IBS, autoimmune hearing loss, leucopenia, arthritis,asthma.
Synthroid, Plaquenil, Crestor, Evoxac,Vit D , Fish Oil, Restasis, Daily Walking, Sleep, Baby aspirin, Probiotic, avoid gluten,dairy and sugar, hearing aide, gratitude, big dog

Kathy57

I agree with the people who say that the AC lowers the humidity .  The lack of humidity kills my sinuses so I do not like heated air or air conditioning.  My house was warm all summer because I kept the air on low and only increased it when it was unbearable.

When I visit my kids and their house is really AC'd up, I am dry and uncomfortable.  I can't stand any forced air blowing on me.  I bet I'd be happy living right by the sea!

Kathy
66 yr old female - Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations, Chronic Bronchitis, Asthma, albuterol, Breztri,  Osteoporosis,

Sharon

Air conditioning systems tend to have mold growth within them.
I had to have mine professionally cleaned out and they found it was full of mold.
Inhaling mold causes respiratory distress among many other things.
Sjogren's (+ RA): positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA. Severe eye dryness + inflammation, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions, fatigue. 
ORENCIA, Restasis, Anti-inflammatory diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3....