News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

hair thinning

Started by dlo, October 16, 2016, 03:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlo

For anyone that had hair thinning, did it ever stop thinning?  Or, god help me, grow back ?
I've searched the forum a bit.  A number of people mention thinning.  I didn't see a lot of follow-ups....

Deb 27

I started out with a lot of hair, so the thinning is not noticeable to anyone except me. Once my hairdresser said she noticed it was thinning around the front. I recently started taking hair, skin and nails vitamins and noticed some new growth. I also have thyroid problems and menopause. How bad is your thinning?
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, folate, trintillex,  multi vitamin. lisinopril.

Liz D.

dlo, I feel your pain!  I have major thinning too and any tips from others would be appreciated. 

Liz D.
60 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 200 mg; Levoxyl 100mcg; Evoxac, Symbicort, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., vitamins, calcium, flaxseed/cod liver oil, L- lysine, iron

irish

First of all, thinning of hair is very common in thyroid disease. Also, thinning of the eyebrows is also noted in people with thyroid issues. I have had both. I have had a big head of hair all my life so my loss was not noticeable to others.

I have recently been on steroid pulse therapy which is 1000 mgm of solumedrol once a month. After the first infusion I noticed that I had such pain in the tissue/skin on the top of my head. It really hurt and I soon noticed that my hair was getting so weird and also getting thinner. Very hard to explain but I was soon asking where I could buy a wig or hair piece.

I am sitting here wondering when my hair will get back to normal or my new normal in my old age. I know that taking vitamins could work but I have not heard any other info that would cause me to purchase a new product. Hair loss in women is very common as I read just recently.  I am waiting to hear what people will have to say about this subject. Good luck.

Carolina

Going, going, go-----------ne?

Age related hair thinning is normal.

Gabapentin causes hair loss, but it might get better as you stabilize????

So I always had fine thick hair......like wisps of silk, but lots of wisps.

Now, just  thinning and finally my stylist noticed it.

Another 'loss with illness and aging'......more grieving to do.

I, personally, don't think most supplement type things work (vitamins, etc).

Now my eyelashes are disappearing, too!

OK, just be what I am, and forget vanity and whatever.

Hugs,  Elaine



Female-Elaine,83-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea)-COPD-Inter. Cys-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Erythromelalgia-SIBO-PMR-Adrenal Insufficiency-Hearing Loss-Achalasia-Bacteriurea-Power Chair-IVIG Gamunex 50 gm-Medrol-Wellbutrin-Buspar-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Salagen-LDN-Lipitor-Premarin-Nexium-Om.3-Repatha-KLOR-CON-Maxide

nannysbaby

I noticed my hair thinning with Plaquenil and two years ago Methotraxate was added and it has thinned even more.  I went short and that helped a lot because Plaquenil made my hair curly which it never was before.  I have been taking Biotin tablets otc.  The lady at the check out said she used them and her hair was not thick, thick, but it was long and white and nice looking.  She was in her sixties I would say. 

But now I am thinking of a wig.  I can see so much of my scalp I look like my mom who is 96!  I hate the thought of a wig because it's so hot in Texas most of the time.  My mom wears a wig when she goes out and she does fine.  I hate to go shorter on my hair because that would look so boyish.

Irish, I have a painful spot on my head at the crown near the top.  It hurts a lot of the time and my hair hurts when I comb or brush it or just manipulate it.  Is that something that is normal?  I also get little blistery sores on my head.  Is that something important that I should mention to my doctor?

Yall take care.

Nancy
Primary Sjogren's, Fibromyalgia, RLS; Methotrexate, Hydroxychloroquine, Vitamin Supp., Thera Tears

trc1962

plaquenil caused me major hair loss with the bumps as well. When we took me off it, the loss slowed way up. I also get treatment for pcos and the spironolactone has helped also. I still have to be careful and not tug on it or put it up or I still loose it, but it has improved.

irish

Nancy, I think it would good to show this to the doctor and explain it to him. Some of the stuff we get is so darn stupid, isn't it. I have had that bad pain on the top of my head that was really hard to explain. Sometimes I think it was from the soulmedrol but then I get to thinking that it could be just autoimmune stuff. Who knows. WE do the best we can don't we.

Today, I had to go up town and vote and I looked like something that crawled out from under a rock. My hair was just terrible. I ended up doing the blue handkerchief on the head like we did in the old days. Did I get some strange looks. It was really busy at the court house also.

Anyway, I came home and got my scissors and cut off a bunch of it in a orderly (lol) fashion. It does look better than it did. A good washing helps also. My hair got so dry that I have to use the head and shoulders first for my scalp and I finally decided to use Neutragena soap on it for the final wash. That bar soap is awesome. Make your hair so soft. Irish

sickfck

I'm only 32 and my hair is falling out pretty bad.  It started after my dry mouth, fatigue, and migraines.  I still don't have a diagnosis.  I do have PCOS, but my endocrinologist said the dry mouth cannot be explained by my PCOS or the pill she has me on.  I have an appointment with a rheumatologist in January.  A friend of mine has Mixed Connective Tissue Disease and she said her hair fell out for a while during a flare, then never again.  So I'm hoping this is just a really long flare and will eventually stop, or even grow back.  In the meantime, I ordered some hats and scarves online.  I guess wigs might be next.  ::sigh::