News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

Insurance Premiums skyrocket!!!!

Started by gurs, October 13, 2016, 04:37:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gurs

I got my dreaded letter from BCBS of Michigan yesterday, informing me that my health care insurance premium would be
going up from $122.00 a month, to $314.00 a month? are you kidding me? They said because Im under 65 and on disability, that is the reason. My mom is 75 and has the same plan, hers only going up by $50.00. How unfair is this because Im young and ill? total discrimination. I love this plan. Haven't had to pay a dime for anything, other than prescriptions. Now, have to see if there is anything out there comparable, and then I have to trust it.

Anyone in Michigan have any suggestions?

thanks

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

Joe S.

While I am not in Michigan and I do not have any suggestions, this is the reason I advocate for single payer health care. The Blues were good many decades ago. My wife and I are still on her work plan with Medica (United Healthcare).  It is very expensive. It was $190/mo ten years ago before it started its annual cost increase.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Jasper

I think all of the insurance companies are raising rates and/or co-pays. My co-pays are increasing dramatically for the coming year. The monthly premium rates also increased.

If you like your insurance and you pay nothing other than the premium, if you can afford to keep it, it may be advisable to keep it.

If you cannot afford to keep it, then it is advisable to meticulously scrutinize any new plan you may choose. Any new plan may be a lot worse than your current plan, even with the increased monthly premium.

I have friends with much worse health plans than I have. Their deductibles are ridiculously high (thousands of dollars). Their premiums are also high. I would be much worse off changing insurance companies.

One of my friends meticulously went through every single available plan and then chose one she thought would cover everything she would need. She paid $12,000 a year for premiums and had a high (several thousand dollars) deductible. The company, against their own contract, refused to cover an expensive but necessary medication for her. (She met the insurance company's criteria for getting the drug, but they still refused to pay for it.) So be sure you scrutinize any new insurance company with a fine tooth comb before switching.

I hope things work out for you.
ANA 1:160; SS-A+; MSG +; Plaquenil, Rituxan infusions, Restasis, HRT, Curcumin, Calcium, CoQ10, NAC, Resveratrol, Whole Omega, Omega 3, R Lipoic Acid, Acetyl L Carnitine, Krill Oil, Mag. Threonate, Bio-Collagen UC II, NAD+, & Vit A, B, C, D, E, K 1 & 2.

warmwaters

Are you on SS disability?  If so, you may be eligible for Medicare.

Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

irish

Insurance rates are going up and also the way Part D of my MedicareBlue Rx drug insurance pays for medications is also getting more spendy. You can go out and check out other insurances, but I would bet that you would still pay the big price.

Your BCBS insurance may still be your best bet because it does pay so well. The insurance plans selling lately have these horrible deductibles---like $10,000 dollars a year which can just about put you on the poor farm when you add in the premiums.

I don't know when you are eligible for medicare, but when you get on that you can get get the supplement. However, medicare is $120 taken out of your check before you get it each month. So I pay 243$ out of pocket per month plus the $120 taken out of my social security plus 35$ to pay for drugs. I have a huge amount of medical expense to I don't complain. My insurance is built into my income and way of living. Don't live fance or eat fancy or go on vacations. So my total is 398$ a month and the only thing that saves me is having the 120 taken out of my social security.

We can only hope that someone gets elected who has a clue what to do about this mess or we will all be just giving up medical care. Irish

Ohiocat

Just my opinion -- but the worst thing happened when all the various insurance plans switched to being for profit companies.   Seemed like things were much better when they were not profit type companies. 
female 50+, no thyroid - levthyroxin 125mcg; Primary Sjogrens:  Dry mouth; Dry eyes-thera tears, Restasis twice daily;

jazzlover

Be glad you don't have a plan under the Affordable Care Act. I have a few friends whose premiums are in the thousands and their deductibles are outrageous.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, mycoplasma,  recovered from Lyme disease

Jenny

65 year old female with back, shoulder, neck and knee pain, dry mouth, losing teeth, dry sinuses,Blood test positive for Sjogrens. Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis .
Maloxicam, Lisinopril, Norco, misc.vitamins
4 discs in low back fused. Shoulder replaced 2015 & 2017 Need knee replaced.
4 hand surgeries

Jasper

Actually, my insurance rates have been increasing for well over 10 years, long before Obamacare. A big factor causing insurance rate increases is the rising cost of prescription drugs.
ANA 1:160; SS-A+; MSG +; Plaquenil, Rituxan infusions, Restasis, HRT, Curcumin, Calcium, CoQ10, NAC, Resveratrol, Whole Omega, Omega 3, R Lipoic Acid, Acetyl L Carnitine, Krill Oil, Mag. Threonate, Bio-Collagen UC II, NAD+, & Vit A, B, C, D, E, K 1 & 2.

Kathy57

#9
I'm sorry but I don't agree with the Obama bashing.  We need regulation in the insurance companies and if anything we need to strengthen Obamacare.  I blame the GOP congress for dragging their feet and doing this to us and fighting everything for the people and in favor of Insurance Companies.

Insurance premiums were skyrocketing way before the Affordable Care Act came on board.   I'm sick of people blaming everything on Obama.  If this gets me kicked off the site then so be it.  Just remember that I didn't bring it up, and we are not supposed to talk politics.

I will say no more on this subject, but feel compelled to for the sake of truth.

Kathy
66 yr old female - Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations, Chronic Bronchitis, Asthma, albuterol, Breztri,  Osteoporosis,

gurs

I should mention that I am single, and on Medicare disability already. My dad is on his retirement health insurance and its horrible. God forbid if/when he gets ill. He has such high deductibles and co-pays its crazy. He wont even go to the docs when he needs to either.

I probably will have to try and keep it and give up alot of the supplements I take, which costs me more than anything.
At least with paying this much, I know I get my use out of it..ha!

The scripts are another issue. A few years ago it was so much better too..We didnt get a SS increase last year and I think this
year they are only raising it 2%. To me, its all politics and big business..just look at the EpiPen mess...crazy!

gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

Linda196

Please continue sharing concerns, suggestions and even venting about insurance, it's a necessary evil for those in our positions.

Please just avoid taking it into a political discussion (such as laying blame on any one particular party or politician), since that would result in shutting down the whole thread, including the beneficial and informative parts.

I do agree that it is , for the most part (depending on location), politics and big business, but our concerns should be more with selection and delivery of service, how to obtain them, and how to get the best for our individual situations.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https:https://sjogrensworld.org/index.php?board=30.0