News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

Research Insight/info

Started by Nomad, October 12, 2016, 10:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

I'm having a hard time autoimmune wise.
I have a retina problem that usually means I can't take or have to greatly reduce intake of prednisone.
At the same time, my ITP (low platelets) are in a dangerous area.
My retina specialist is not being communicative with my doctors.
I/we need to know how much I can take. Low dosage OK? etc.
Here is my question which would apply in this situation and very possibly others down the road...

How does one find the person or persons considered the top specialist in their medical problem in their state and the country?

So, for my retina problem, how do I find the top three (whatever) people who specialize in this issue in the state and the country?
And for that matter, are there people considered top experts in Sjogrens in my state of Florida? In the country?

How does one start to research such information? My fear is that in my city, for example, doctors can get in the local city magazine and I s trongly suspect advertising might influence placement. This would not be a good indicator. And I'm looking for specific illnesses.

Thoughts/insight/info?

Thank you.
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

Pete0211

I think word of mouth with support groups for similar illnesses is good, unless you have a specific Sjogren's Center nearby (for example John Hopkins in Baltimore and Penn Medicine in Philadelphia).
Male 49 y/o; Undergoing Primary SJS diagnosis process; Cevimeline, Ubiquinol, Restasis

irish

I would do a search on google or engine of your choice. Search for head ophthalmology/optometrist association state. Some how try to get the name of the head of the eye doctors association in your state and get a phone number that you can call. You should be able to talk to someone who could recommend an specialist who deals with autoimmune diseases affecting the eye.

You might also do a search listing year state top retinal specialists and see what you can come up with. When we have the ability to search we can find almost anything. This gives us the ability to get numbers ,etc. but we have to list address. phone numbers, etc in order to have this info come up.

Their have been quite a few people on here over the years with retinal problems and I would bet that finding the doc who knows about these things would make a huge difference for you. Good luck and let us know how things go. Irish