News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

What results from seeing the Rheumatologist

Started by Kadiddle, October 09, 2016, 10:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadiddle

Please understand that I KNOW I need to see a Rheumatologist. My concern is how long it takes to see one. I do believe I will be going to Seattle or Portland because getting in to see one here in Spokane is a 6 month wait. What I am wondering is this:
1) Are there other tests I should ask my PCP to run while I am waiting?
2) What treatment options will the Rheumatologist consider?
3) Is there systemic treatment that seems to work better then treatment for just the eyes, or just the mouth, or just the intestines?

Frankly, I am just so frustrated with getting no where with my eyes. I've discovered that part of my problem is the lighting at work and at church. My eyes are just so much more comfortable at home and with dimmed lighting. And I just continue to go from ulcers to erosions and just chronic pain and discomfort.
I hate whining, so I promise this won't happen often, but I'm just curious as to what I can do and what my PCP can do before I see the Rheumy.
Primary Sjogren's, Undifferentiated Spondyloarthropathy dxed 1994, Dry eyes with corneal erosions and ulcers, dry mouth, chronic constipation,
Meds/Supps: Meloxicam, Restasis, Evoxac, Omega 3 with Flaxseed Oil,  Multi-vitamins, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Probiotics

cccourt1942

Kadiddie:
    Eyes: Only eyes since that is your major complaint.  An ophthalmologist can give you an Rx for Restasis or Xiican.  Both are for dry eyes.  Most of us here use Restasis (if on an Rx) as Xiican is brand new.  An optometrist can write an Rx for this "I think."  So check.  Forget the dx of SjS for right now and get comfort for your eyes.

    For decades my eyes became so sensitive.  I would not use any lighting.  I had to bring in a floor lamp to my office to avoid fluorescent lighting.  I could not do much during a sunlit day.  It progressed.  I was seeing an ophthalmologist (for eye checks, etc) and NOTHING was ever said about my dry eyes.  I thought I was old.  I used OTC drops. 

    As far as I am concerned, dx is wonderful for personal satisfaction, but in the meantime, the goal should be for comfort. 

Good luck,
Sjoldier c3
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

SjoGirl

Have you had a Schrimer's test done on your eyes by an ophthalmologist? That is a key test of tear production. An ophthalmologist can also look at the tear film covering your eyes to see if it is at full strength (sometimes we produce tears, but they don't last because there is little film to hold onto them).

PCP can run a CBC (complete blood count), SSA, SSB,  SED (inflammation) rate, check for vitamin deficiencies (B12 and D are the top ones to look for with SjS), and other tests.

Having these done before seeing a rheumy could prove helpful in getting you in faster if the results suggest there is a need to do so.

Good luck.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

Navigator

Good advice above on the eyes. You do not have to wait for that.  You will need to have a report from the ophthalmologist (an MD not an optometrist) before your rheumatologist will prescribe Plaquenil.  You should mention that you may be going on that drug and you need his approval...basically he/she will take a base line retina scan that every year he/she will compare to a new one.  Plaquenil is a standard first treatment for SJS but it could have eye issues...hence the need for a check up. Your eye doc can prescribe Restasis or equivalent which should help immediately.

On the blood work....an arthritis panel, CBC, SSA and SSB antibodies, a liver panel and kidney panel, thyroid tests, Vit D, B12, are all pretty standard.  If you are going far away having them done might speed things up.
Hashimotos thyroiditis, Primary SJS, IBS, autoimmune hearing loss, leucopenia, arthritis,asthma.
Synthroid, Plaquenil, Crestor, Evoxac,Vit D , Fish Oil, Restasis, Daily Walking, Sleep, Baby aspirin, Probiotic, avoid gluten,dairy and sugar, hearing aide, gratitude, big dog