News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Shortness of breath

Started by Scottietottie, October 05, 2016, 04:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scottietottie

Hi  :)
I met a new GP at our practice today. He is the most straight talking doctor I have ever met. I like him although I suspect some may be disconcerted by him.

During the summer I developed a cough - on July 23rd to be precise. (2 days before going on holiday - hence the precision) I coughed for 3 weeks (no cold) and then developed a fever so went to see a local GP who sent me to the local hospital. They sorted me out, got the fever down a bit, gave me IV antibiotics and a prescription to take away and told me I may have a virus but it may be a chest infection. The antibiotics seemed to sort things out but two and a half months later - I am still coughing. (No fever)

The last few nights I've been having chest pains when I lie down - reflux I think - but this morning I decided to make a doctor appointment.
'
The doctor I saw this morning told me 'There is no such thing as a chest infection. Doctors tell people that because they don't want to scare them, or because they are 99% sure the patient has a cold that will clear up'.

He told me that during the summer the x-ray showed clearly that I had pneumonia and that I am probably still short of breath because it can take a while to get over. Recent x-ray shows pneumonia has cleared so, as a precaution he wants me to see a 'chest doctor' in case I have lung cancer.

I have an appointment at the local hospital for next Tuesday - so I can't fault the speed - though I do feel I am time wasting.

I did ask if SjS could be causing a problem but he said that he 'didn't see it'. He doesn't actually think I have cancer either (Whew!) but he wants to rule it out.

Refreshingly honest doc!

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)


Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Tharrell

Hi Scottie! You may want to ask to do a sputum culture just in case eventhough they said pneumonia. I had a chest infection that came back soon after I finished antibiotics. Pulmonologist did sputum culture and lo and behold I have non tuberculosis mycobacterium kansasii infection. It used to be thought of as rare, but doctors are discovering it is more common, but mostly misdiagnosed.
My mother in law had been fighting a cough for three years. Because she knew what was going on she insisted on a sputum culture. Her pulmonologist suspects she also has a mycobacterium infection and is awaiting results on what strain. She too had pneumonia not too long ago.
Just a thought.
MCTD, sjogren's,dRTA,CVID, sero neg. ra,achalasia,Morvan's syndrome,familial dysautonomia,POTS, MCI, IC. Occular neuromyotonia migraines,raynauds,B6,Florinef, propanolol,sodium bicarb, plaquenil,requip,B2,topiramate, synthroid,diazepam,trulance,enbrel,cevimeline,
arava,omeprazole, mexiletin

Scottietottie

Hi :)

Thanks for the heads up. I am hoping that reflux is the problem. Been researching - and it could be. Feeling positive because I haven't lost an ounce of weight. Would love to lose weight - but not because of illness!!

Will definitely keep a sputum test in mind though.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)


Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Kathy57

Scottie,

Is it possible that you have developed asthma?  I developed asthma with my Sj?gren's and I think it is caused by dryness.  My asthma can be triggered by wind, fans, air-conditioning, dry heat, and change in weather.

I also feel like I can pick up sinus infections,  and bronchitis much easier.  I have to admit that this summer has been good for me.  We laid off the air-conditioning and that helped.  The weather is starting to get just a little nippy and I find that I have started coughing more.

I do take meds that help me. Hope you can get back to your "normal" and soon.

Kathy
66 yr old female - Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations, Chronic Bronchitis, Asthma, albuterol, Breztri,  Osteoporosis,

irish

Some good replies to your post. It is good to hear that you have a doc who doesn't mess around. I seond that about the mycobacterium kansasii as I had that also. Make sure to mention it and ask for a cat scan of lungs and abdomen. It turned out I had the kansasii in my lungs, liver and spleen. If they had not done a cat scan of my neck that went low and caught the upper lobes of my lungs I would not have been diagnosed as soon as I was.

Also, the sputum culture for this infection takes 6-8 weeks as it is a very slow growing bacteria. Let them know that you have autoimmune disease and that people with autoimmune can be prone to getting more than the normal bacterial and other infections.

I am glad your doc is being so thorough. Also, you could have developed asthma also. I got Histoplasmosis back in 1980 or so and that is when my asthma was triggered. Good luck and keep us updated. Irish

CarlaJ

My respirologist says I have Bronchiectasis and believes it's a result of Sjogren's.  I cough often as I can't clear the mucus as effectively anymore.  I see him 3 times a year and I have a catscan prior to the appointment. 

I don't have chest pains, although there's some pain there when I over exert myself and am breathing hard. 

Happy to hear you have a good doctor, Carla.

Scottietottie

Hi  :)

Thanks for the replies.

I think asthma might be a possibility - since I developed a 'perfume' allergy - which extends to an awaful lot of smells!

I also think reflux is a possibility.

The breathing problem - and 'clagged up' feeling - all seem to be upper respiratory  rather than deep lung. The pneumonia was apparently 'deep lung' - but I know its gone now.

Hopefully will find out more on Tuesday.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)


Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

irish

For those of you who have breathing issues and a hard time clearing the mucus ask your doc for a nebulizer and also some sterile saline in 3 cc ampules. My doc ordered 6 ccs of sterile water placed in with the albuterol neb. This helps so much. The albuterol opens the airways and relieves the spasms and the saline moistens the airway and helps us move the mucus.

If the doc tells you he never heard of such a thing he needs to do some searching online. If you do some searching online on pulmonary websites you will find that they are doing this procedure a lot lately cause it really helps with the mucus and irritation in the lungs. I would think that it could help slow down some of the lung issues that we Sjoggies get. I know it has helped me. I notice the difference if I don't do these nebs. Good luck. Irish

Liz D.

I get SOB on exertion.  I do have asthma but it is well controlled.  I went to docs and had a ton of heart tests.  Everything is fine.  But they noticed I'm quite anemic and they feel that is the issue.

Liz D.
60 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 200 mg; Levoxyl 100mcg; Evoxac, Symbicort, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., vitamins, calcium, flaxseed/cod liver oil, L- lysine, iron