News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

vision concerns

Started by Winnie, October 01, 2016, 07:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winnie

Hi!  I went to my ophthalmologist this summer for my plaquenil check up but was also concerned that I was having difficulty driving at night specifically with the lights.  The lights look diffused and it is difficult to drive.  I am also having trouble with reading now but I suspect that goes along with being 40+.  My doctor indicated that the plaquenil was not causing it but I have the start of cataracts.  I guess I was wondering if anyone was having problems with night vision and does this appear to be cataracts?  I am still worried.  I have never heard of cataracts starting in the 40's.

Winnie
Sicca Syndrome-Aug 11', osteopenia, IBS-C, gastritis, GERD
Plaquenil, Dexilant, Vit D, Calcium, gluten free, dairy, egg & nut intolerances

Joe S.

I do not want to worry you further. I suggest that you check side effects, counter indications and drug interactions of Plaquinel. Do this with any drug or supplement before you try it.

The experience that I had was abnormal. On my first dose, I was blind until it was processed out of my system, About 6 hours later. I refused to take anymore and found a new Rheumy.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Carebear

Hi Winnie,

I have night blindness in my right eye, and the ophthalmologist said is due to the dryness.  I can't see out of it at all when I walk from a lit room to darker room.  After several minutes I can start to make things out, but not very well. 

I don't have cataracts however a friend of mine had them in both eyes by the time she turned 40 years old.  She doesn't have Sjogren's.  Or any other health issues.

Try not to worry, Winnie.  Speak with your medical team about your concerns and let us know how things go.

 
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

felpeyu2

Hi. I'm 44. For me it is difficult driving at night, the lights are blurred and I see double sometimes. These last months I Can't read small letters when they are very near, but I think it is presbyopia. I do not have cataracts.

Winnie

I can go to my optometrist to see if he can change my prescription for my glasses.  I am not second guessing my ophthalmologist on the plaquenil.  Just wondering about the cataracts and wanted more information.  I am legally blind without my glasses but see 20/20 with my prescription.  There are several eye problems that run in my family so I am sensitive about my vision.  Thanks for the input. 

Winnie
Sicca Syndrome-Aug 11', osteopenia, IBS-C, gastritis, GERD
Plaquenil, Dexilant, Vit D, Calcium, gluten free, dairy, egg & nut intolerances

Madison Granny

Cataracts can happen at 40.  I had them just before I turned 40.  I was told that mine had started close to center of my eyes and cloudy outwardly.  Most later onset cataracts cloud from the outside toward the center.  My Mother had them in her 30s.
Primary SJS, dRTA, Osteroporis, OAB, stage 3 kidney disease, hypothyroid and high blood pressure.  Medicine I take are plaquenil, bicarb, prolia, synthroid, toprol and amolipine, citracal and vitamin D.  I use Arex and Azasite and Prolia.  I also have Reynaud's and osteoarthris of the toes

Sweetcheex76

In September 4 yrs ago, I had my annual vision - check-no problems. At the beginning of January, I was having trouble reading. I couldn't see street signs, everything was bright. Saw my eye dr in February as I thought I needed new glasses. Nope. I had some weird, rapid development of cataracts in both eyes. They were not normal. The cataracts were like someone had taken a pen and made dots of cataracts all over my eyes. The doctor had never seen anything like it. That year, I had both lenses replaced. I was 51. This was before I had any Sjogren's diagnosis but knew something was wrong with me and seeking answers. I score 0's in both eyes on my Schirmers test. I've always wondered if the Sjogren's played a part in the cataracts. Sorry you are going through this.
Sjogren's, Trigeminal Neuralgia, Reynaud's, Fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, ocular rosacea, rosacea, endometriosis, ADHD, anxiety, depression, pre-diabetes.

Plaquenil, Cevimeline, Restasis, Metformin,  Vyvanse, Xiidra, prescription ibuprofen, Vitamin D

katie1111

I am also having similar problems - particularly with glare and low light.  I started to have real problems in the grocery store reading labels (ok - so cares what's in the food I am eating), reading in low light and while traveling reading labels in a museum.  Some times, if someone is standing in a room with bright light behind them, their face appears black.  I also keep a flashlight nearby to help.  The doctor says I have cataracts, but they are very mild and shouldn't be causing the problem.  He said that my eyes have become very dry and he thinks that is causing the problem.  He has me using Systane eye ointment at night along with Restasis, Systane drops, and fish oil.  I am a little better but not good.  Please let me know if you find the cause.

Katie1111

irish

It is more common to have cataracts in later years, but people can get them earlier. Also, if one takes prednisone they are more apt to get them. I have been on prednisone for 10 years and am currently getting steroid pulse therapy which is 1000 mgm solumedrol IV each month to try and save the hearing in my one hearing ear.

I was on Plaquenil for about 5 years but quit this winter due to my GERD being so bad and I then improved. I have had cataracts for about 4-5 years or so and they have sort of stagnated the past year which my eye doctor says doesn't happen very often. There are 2 kinds of cataracts that she explained to me and I have one of these. Unfortunately I can't remember which kind I have.

I have had autoimmune issues for 50 years and just got diagnosed with Sjogrens in 2003. I noticed back in the early 1990s that I was having the problems with driving at night. I would get the reflection from the lights when the cars were coming at me. It has stayed to a certain point, but I have had some times when it is not as bad. I drive in my town at night a little, but I would not drive in other towns or in any high stress situations as I don't feel it would be safe. I also don't drive my grandkids at night anymore.

I am wondering if being on the prednisone for my myasthenia gravis might help slow my night vision loss to a certain extent. Have you discussed your cataracts with your doc and what t expect from them. I know that I will need surgery in the future but it is not as soon as I thought. The night vision issues are common in people with Sjogrens. The loss of moisture causes some of the problem I think. Have you ever been on Restasis for your dry eyes?

I also have had vision issues for over 20 years when I shop as the stores have so many fluorescent lights which cause a lot of glare for me and sort of make me spacey and increase my balance problem. Just talking some of these things over with your eye doctor or with people on this site will help you a lot. Good luck. Irish

Winnie

Thanks for all the comments.  It does make things easier on me.  I seem to get stressed over the smallest things these days.  I have 10 more years before I can retire from teaching so I have to drive.  My report from the ophthalmologist indicates that I have cataracts trace anterior cortical, trace nuclear sclerotic and trace posterior cortical in both eyes.  Not sure what all that means but he said it was not bad enough to have surgery.  He did not say anything about cataracts on my previous visits.  I may have brought this on myself since my eyes tend to be dry but manageable during the day.  Ever since I had my gall bladder removed two years ago, I have had less trouble with my eyes and don't use drops during the day.  I need to put drops in my eyes to make it to the bathroom at night.  Night time is a pain.  I tried restasis several years back but my insurance did not pick it up nor did I think the drops did much.  I could look into it again.  Tried plugs but they came out and doctor didn't think my eyes were dry enough to put them back in.  I scored 14-17 on my initial schirmer test so I don't think that was too bad compared to others.  I guess I will try the optometrist but it will take me a month to get in.   Thanks for listening.

Winnie
Sicca Syndrome-Aug 11', osteopenia, IBS-C, gastritis, GERD
Plaquenil, Dexilant, Vit D, Calcium, gluten free, dairy, egg & nut intolerances