News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

Sinus surgery update

Started by gurs, September 23, 2016, 04:46:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gurs

I posted last month that I had another sinus surgery. The one I had two years ago went great. No problems etc.
The surgery I had last month just put me over the edge. When I consulted with my doc and anesthesiologist before, I reminded them
to use the same protocol as my prior surgery since I had no issues. The anesthesiologist was not that friendly and told me she could not access my prior records on-line, and they use the normal standard etc.

Woke up after shaking, gritting teeth, sweating and couldnt breathe very well. Days after, still felt the same. I cant believe how bad I felt. I basically stayed in bed for 2 weeks. I was going to go to the hospital, but I knew there was nothing they could do etc. I requested copies of my medications used from both surgeries and found that they did not give me any Solu-CORTEF IV? what!!! no extra steriods?
I took this to my rheumy a few days ago and she was in shock. She told me my body was having some form of reaction, Adrenal crisis and/or POTS flare, and anyone with my health history or autoimmune should have this. Im livid to say the least. Im going to contact my Sinus doc and find out why this was not used. I would love to blast the Anesthesiologist as well. Since my surgery, I went from having low BP to high BP (only in the morning)? doc cant figure this out, but my sodium levels are low, so its not the salt. Very strange.

I learned my lesson. If I ever have to have surgery again, taking a print-out of my good surgery and all the meds they used and going to shove it in the doctors faces before surgery. They have no idea the toll this has taken on my health. I would love for them to have to deal with all this autoimmune stuff and maybe then they would understand...just and FYI for all of you.

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

Joe S.

((( Hugs))) I am so sorry that this time it went so wrong. I hope you get better soon.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

irish

Unbelieveable. Anyone who is taking steroids or who has recently taken steroids and tapered off needs to be covered with steroids of some form during surgery and sometimes in the recovery of a surgery. This is not rocket science, it is common protocol for many, many, many years. Heck, I graduated from nurses training 52 years ago and they were doing it then. Hope that they give you some steroids now to help get you through this terrible stress. Good luck. Irish

Kathy57

I've had one big sinus surgery and it was a total disaster!  I don't care if I'm dying - I will not go through that again!  I ended up with several nasal septal perforations and the worst Sj?gren's flare ever, and this happened before I was diagnosed.

It would have been kinder if this careless and incompetent ENT had just shot me right in the face with a gun.  I'm serious.  I got so sick after this surgery that I quit my job because I could not function!  I was so miserable!

The anesthesia didn't seem to bother me but the shoddy and unnecessary surgery sure did!  I suffer everyday for what has been done to my sinuses.  I wish I could switch my sinuses with the surgical rapist who did this to me and made money from destroying me.  Let him live with his handiwork!

If I knew then what I know now - I would have run screaming out of his office and never let him touch me.  He pretty much destroyed my life.  Wow!  I didn't mean to say all that but it just came out!😱

Sorry, I just had to vent!  Hope you feel better soon and that there is no permanent damage to you.  Be careful who you let touch you!

Kathy
66 yr old female - Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations, Chronic Bronchitis, Asthma, albuterol, Breztri,  Osteoporosis,

gurs

Funny how I had no pain from the sinuses etc...ha! Im going to call My ENT next week and ask him why they didnt give me the steriods. Im not sure if the anestheologist follows the ENT orders, or uses her judgement on what to use? I want the message to get back to her. I want her to think twice before doing this to someone else. My rheumy also thinks this really activated my POTS, and this is why Im having these symptoms for so long now. She said I should recover, but it will take along time. Im still trying to get some Rituxan in November, so hopefully Im feeling better.

Thanks guys!

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

jazzlover

I hope you feel better very soon. I would google the heck out of your situation to find ways to help yourself. Sometimes our doctors are not quite up to snuff!

I had two successful sinus surgeries. The only trouble I had was from a short-acting muscle relaxant the first time which gave me MASSIVE pain in my muscles.

We avoided it the second time. Whew.

Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, mycoplasma,  recovered from Lyme disease