News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

Hoarseness and now a cold that's going on and on?

Started by MAT51, September 17, 2016, 08:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAT51

Following a formal diagnosis of primary Sjogren's a month ago, I'm waiting for results of CT of thorax to pelvis and also for brain MRI. I have noticed in recent months that my voice has become a bit wheezy and hoarse and I feel mildly breathless for much of the time. I sip water a lot and try not to clear my throat all the time but now this seems to have evolved into a cold - which I'm finding very confusing.

My eyes feel watery and hurt a lot and I'm breathing through my mouth, but I'm still using hyloforte drops to try and soothe them because they swing back to severe dryness quickly if I don't.  I'm assuming this is a cold because my nose is trickling and I feel the urge to sneeze a lot and I am wiped out with fatigue all the time. But the throat dryness has gone on for many months and isn't a virus so it's hard to be sure. I don't normally get ill much - got an overactive immune system that keeps things away I think! Does this sound like just a bit of a head cold or can Sjogren's flare up to present like a cold sometimes?
Hashimoto's, seronegative RA, Primary Sjogren's, small fibre nld polyneuropathy, hypertension, IBS-C, GORD, BMS, highly allergic disposition!

Joe S.

First check your medications for side effects, counter indications and drug interactions. Now having said that, I commonly have allergies that trigger reactions similar to what you talk about this time of year. This leads to congestion and then on I have to treat with antibiotics or tones before it develops more symptoms and puts me in the hospital.

bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

MAT51

#2
Thanks Joe S. I think it must be Sjogren's or allergy because the coldy bit comes and goes - which wouldn't happen if it was a virus. It's the end of the summer here - maybe I'm starting hayfever but never had it before and I don't think the pollen count is particularly high here in Scotland just now. But I'm prone to allergies so will have a think and see if I can find the trigger if so.

Not on any medications at all apart from the usual thyroid one and a blood pressure drug I've taken for a year now.

I'm so puffed out all the time - also salty saliva taste for over a year, seems worse than ever too -despite drinking a lot of water and herbal tea all the time - which I read today is a SS thing. I saw a dr two weeks ago who listened to my breathing and said it sounded fine. I think he thought I was over anxious because of the imminent CT and MRI. Could have been right but I think something is changing as I have never had this breathless rasping before apart from last year with pneumonia - definitely not that. 

Still waiting for CT and MRI results but sure I'd have heard by now if anything was much amiss. Rheumy back from his annual leave tomorrow so guess he will be writing to me soon as results sitting on his desk.
Hashimoto's, seronegative RA, Primary Sjogren's, small fibre nld polyneuropathy, hypertension, IBS-C, GORD, BMS, highly allergic disposition!

Kathy57

Do you have any fever with this?  If you do then maybe you might have a cold or virus.  When I get an upper respiratory infection, it just wipes me out even more than usual!

My advice is to try and get more rest and take very good care of yourself.  If you start having thick green drainage to go to doc. 

Sj?gren's just dries you out, period.  It can make you hoarse or lose your voice.  It can dry out your lungs and make you cough. 

Hope you feel better soon.

Kathy
66 yr old female - Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations, Chronic Bronchitis, Asthma, albuterol, Breztri,  Osteoporosis,

nannysbaby

Kathy57, the answer to your question is YES.  Ever since the early days right after my dx with primary SS, I have had chronic sinusitis and drippy nose.  It is the most annoying symptom I have.  24-7.  I have had SS now since, well since whenever, but I was dx'd  in 2007 so 9 years.  To keep it dry for certain occasions I take a very small dose of antihistamine which most of the time helps me through.  Otherwise, I apologize a lot. LOL  But really, in doing reading, it is a sign of deeper problems relating to SS.  I'm not sure I understand all the medical connections, but as time goes by the picture becomes clearer.  It has to do with what SS does to our cells and then our cells can't make certain antibodies and then we get infections and get sick.  Doesn't sound like much but it can be big.  I hope that isn't the case for you.

Hugs, Nancy
Primary Sjogren's, Fibromyalgia, RLS; Methotrexate, Hydroxychloroquine, Vitamin Supp., Thera Tears

gurs

Sounds like allergies to me. Mine starts in May and goes all the way through October usually. This summer has been horrible.
Not sure if you can take allergy medication or not. Im finding alot of foods I eat increase my allergies as well. Diary has been a huge
culprit in headaches and sinuses Im finding.

Hope your feeling better soon...bring on the winter!!!!

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements