News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

Oral cancer

Started by CMNK12, September 12, 2016, 06:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CMNK12

hello ,
I am curious does anyone have a history of oral cancer related to their Sjogrens ? I have had mouth sores for a long time that my doctors thought were related to medication? It turns out it was actually squamous cell dysplasia and and area of squamous cell cancer. I have seen an oncologist that specializes in head and neck cancer and he says that my condition will continue because of my immune system and the Sjogrens.
  I am having biopsies frequently and will have surgery again soon for another area. I want others to be aware and be vigilant. I am fortunate that my cancer was caught early and removed.


Take care all of you. CK

nannysbaby

Yes, it's good they caught it early.  I know I experience some serious mouth sores about every other week it seems and they seem to be pretty much in the same area.  I have been attributing them to medications and he fact that I always have been susceptible to them.  When I have one of those bad sores, I cancel any dentist appt. because it would be too painful, but maybe I should go in and let him have a look.
Primary Sjogren's, Fibromyalgia, RLS; Methotrexate, Hydroxychloroquine, Vitamin Supp., Thera Tears

Nomad

I don't have mouth sores, but this is an important warning to all of us.
Thank you for sharing this with us.
I'm glad you caught it early and are on the mend.
Wishing you continued improved health.
As a side note, if you are able, consider drinking lots of freshly made juices...particularly carrot juice.
I do believe that the body responds well to the gentle touch of mother nature.
Blessings.
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

CMNK12

Thanks to you both!
Yes,nannysbaby any sore that lasts over two weeks, have it looked at!


Nomad I am planning on starting to do the juice thing. I will try the carrot juice. Also for us all kale and broccoli are our friends.


Wishing everyone wellness. CK

SjoGirl

No thankfully. I'm pretty good about getting to the dentist and he checks me thoroughly. So far, so good.

Very sorry to hear about this. SJS does predispose us to cancers, though more typically lymphomas.

Good luck with your treatments!
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.