News:

These message boards are a friendly helpful place, please post with thoughtful consideration of others. Thank-you.

Main Menu

Teeth

Started by Jldvld, September 09, 2016, 08:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jldvld

I'm new to this blog so excuse my need for information :
Need to know best option for teeth. All my back teeth are breaking fillings fallen out , from what I read about Sj?gren's it really affects your gums & teeth. My question is do I get them fixed or pull them & get dentures.
Any advice will be appreciated .
I was just diagnosed 2 weeks ago after suffering with chronic dry eye & mouth for 5 years
I was told it was gerd had scopes for my dry throat & hoarseness finally was tested for immune system disorder & sure enough Sj?gren's Syndrome. I'm waiting to see Rhuematologist.
Thanks for listening .

Joe S.

Welcome to this forum! My wife had good insurance so for the lingest time it was drill fill and cap. I have now lost enough to think about dentures, not implants. I was told by a couple of others that once you had dentures for 3 months, the sinus issues stopped. Good luck with your rheumy.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Jasper

Welcome to the forum.

I don't have experience with breaking teeth although my crown fell out and I have some gum recession from the dryness, all which occurred before I was diagnosed in 2013. Since my 2013 diagnosis I have been giving my teeth extra attention and keeping my mouth moist and my gums are now stable.

Your situation is obviously more severe. I don't know where you live, but I would suggest finding an expert dentist who is very familiar with treating Sjogren's Disease and its oral consequences. Just any old dentist will not do in your situation. You need an expert. If you live near or in a large city, or even if you have to drive a couple of hundred miles, you should be able to find a dentist who specializes in treating major oral problems, including the consequences of Sjogren's Disease. An expert should be able to best advise you.

Your care will depend on how severely your teeth have deteriorated, what you have left, the condition of your gums, jaw bone, the supporting structures, and more. You need an expert to determine what options you have and the best way forward. We can offer our experiences, but each situation is individual which is why you need an expert to examine you and help you decide the best way forward.

If you can keep your teeth, I would suggest keeping them as long as possible. Even without Sjogren's, removing teeth is not advised if at at all possible, Studies show that people who keep their teeth do better (healthwise) than those who get dentures). In addition, people with Sjogren's often have problems with deterioration of the underlying jaw bone and supporting structures and have difficulty fitting and wearing dentures.

In Minneapolis there is an excellent dentist and Sjogren's specialist, Dr. Nelson Rhodus. He works with the Minnesota Head and Neck pain Clinic and also teaches and does research at the U of MN.

http://www.mhnpc.com/index.asp?SEC=FAC14E01-76EF-4F5C-A4B1-B69A1D61F9BE&DE=C6AFA7CA-863C-4263-81A2-E17463AC26F3&Type=B_DIR

There are specialists in other areas. Your Rheumatologist may know which dentists are experts in treating Sjogren's. You could also contact a Sjogren's support group in your area and see if anyone there knows of an expert dentist. To find a support group near you, go to the Sjogren's Syndrome Foundation website at   

http://www.sjogrens.org/   

pick      'get connected'

then pick      'support groups'

then pick the       lists for groups

I would also suggest that when you call to make an appt. that you ask to make sure the doctors is well acquainted with the care of Sjogren's patients.

I hope you can find good care.
ANA 1:160; SS-A+; MSG +; Plaquenil, Rituxan infusions, Restasis, HRT, Curcumin, Calcium, CoQ10, NAC, Resveratrol, Whole Omega, Omega 3, R Lipoic Acid, Acetyl L Carnitine, Krill Oil, Mag. Threonate, Bio-Collagen UC II, NAD+, & Vit A, B, C, D, E, K 1 & 2.

gurs

Ditto what Joe said......Since I was diagnosed with SS when I was basically a child (now 52) my dental costs, not to mention the pain etc has been my biggest problem. Around 10 years ago when I had to leave my job, I cashed in my 401K and spent over $40,000 on fixing and capping all my teeth. We'll, my dentist did a great job, but that darn SS crept in and bascially destroyed everything. I currently have my uppers left, but only a few bottom front teeth remain. I can hardly chew. I have to get a partial for now, but will get dentures. Alot of us with Sjogrens have bone loss so implants werent even a consideration, and they cost wayyyyy to much.

We are all different....I would seek other professional opinions on whatever you decide.
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

Jldvld

Thank you so much. I live in Louisana but I will get in touch with groups