News:

Just a reminder: if you haven't signed in for six months or more, please do so if you wish to remain active...no need to post, just sign in so we know you're still interested.

Main Menu

Interstitial lung disease

Started by DesignerS, September 09, 2016, 06:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesignerS

Hello everyone!
I am wondering if there is someone else here with interstitial lung disease. I was just diagnosed yesterday, and it is another road untraveled.

Definately came as a shock when the doctor called. It is from sjogrens.

Thank you!
Designer

Carolina

Dear Designer,

I have small airway obstruction, which is a bit like interstitial lung disease, I think.

I have had symptoms for a long time, but evidently it didn't show up on those breathing tests the doctors do routinely in an exam.

My condition was identified on a pulmonary exam last Fall, ordered by my Immunologist because there is an association between Small Airway Obstruction and my Immune Deficiency Disease (CVID).  I'm part of a cohort she is studying so she orders the test for everyone.

The three main symptoms: 

1)  I have a kind of wheezing crackling sound when i exhale strongly.   

2)I can't take really deep breaths. 

3)And if I have a lung irritation (dust, feathers) that triggers coughing, I can spiral into what is called 'cough induced asthma'.  That means the more I cough the worse it gets.  It becomes a loud horrible cough, and lots and lots of stuff is produced.  My cough becomes convulsive and scary. 

When cough induced asthma, the cure is to STOP COUGHING!  I must force myself to stop coughing.  As soon as I can do that, the entire episode stops!

The first episode of Cough Induced Asthma occurred in 2014 when we were in Paris.  I had no idea at first what was happening, but I remembered that one of my grandchildren had has this, so I Googled it (at 3 am) and sure enough, the 'cure' is to stop coughing.

Here's what the Mayo Clinic says about ILD.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/interstitial-lung-disease/basics/treatment/con-20024481

An this is very comprehensive and technical article about small airway obstruction.

http://err.ersjournals.com/content/22/128/131#sec-4

It describes the connection to Sjogren's and to CVID.  But it's a lot of work to read!

Regards, Elaine
Female-Elaine,83-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea)-COPD-Inter. Cys-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Erythromelalgia-SIBO-PMR-Adrenal Insufficiency-Hearing Loss-Achalasia-Bacteriurea-Power Chair-IVIG Gamunex 50 gm-Medrol-Wellbutrin-Buspar-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Salagen-LDN-Lipitor-Premarin-Nexium-Om.3-Repatha-KLOR-CON-Maxide