News:

New to the boards? Start with "Welcome! What you need to know as a member of this community"

Main Menu

New mouth guard dry mouth worse

Started by Wal, September 08, 2016, 11:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wal

So my current mouth guard from bruxism got a relining by my dentist. The guard is too thick now and opens my mouth more. I haven't slept because my dry mouth is so bad at night that as my mouth is forced more open with appliance my throat drys out even more and I wake up with a dry choking just seconds after dozing off. Any suggestions? Without it my mouth falls open And I'm dry. 😩

SunshineDaydream

#1
I used to have a bite plate that was small and didn't make my mouth open or close any more than it would without the plate. It was maybe 2 millimeters, so thin. Kind of like a tray used for teeth whitening or Invisalign. Maybe a bite plate would be better for you.

Alternatively, you could run a vaporizer or humidifier in your room while you're sleeping.

Edited to change centimeters to millimeters. Centimeters would be pretty big for that purpose, lol.

Sjogren's, lupus, OAB and osteopenia
Rx: Evoxac and Myrbetriq
Vitamins and Supplements: A, B complex, C, D3, E, calcium orotate, magnesium glycinate, D-Mannose, curcumin, fish oil, probiotic

cccourt1942

wal:  this description makes me choke without anything in my mouth.  Gosh.  It's like so many things we take (Rx) or have:  one solution leads to another problem.  A true conundrum.

Has the dentist or perhaps your GP recommended an anti anxiety drug at night to relax you? 

Have a good day.

Sjoldier c3
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

Wal

Sunshine Daydream: unfortunately my jaw locks at night so I have to have splint that pulls it forward in place just a little.

C court : I'm totally open to anxiety meds but my only drawback is that they can often cause dry mouth too right?

gurs

You have to tell your dentist what i happening..they can make thinner ones..have to make sure they fit better. Mine does that a bit, and actually, you reminded me I need a new one.

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements